Whistle coming from inside 306

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whistle coming from inside 306
Heart Hi guys!! I'm new here and this is my first car so I'm still getting the hang of things. 

My little pug. He's old now (1999) and I know it's gettin on and things will be breaking down. I bought it for £500 off a friend who knew nothing about cars, therefore did nothing to really look after it. 

I had the MOT done in December and had, ALOT, of stuff done. 

New tyres, new cat, brake load sensing valve had gone, drop link something had seized up. So I paid a lot for it to be repaired. 

But now I have noticed a lot of water in the passenger footwell. I put kseal through the system and it cleared up. But the water is back and it's more like a puddle now. 

I can't be sure weather it's because of heavy rain (we had a lot of rain both times before the water appeared) or if there is a leak. 

And also. When I start up my engine. Recently it's started whistling/screeching. And it's really high pitched. It sounds like it's coming from the dash. It's deafening. But then it stops. I don't know what is causing it. Sometimes it doesn't do it. And sometimes it does. 

Sorry for the really long post btw!! Makeup
[Image: 2hq9i7o.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Welcome along!

Right, worst case scenario, the water in the footwell is a failed heater matrix. Ballache of a job to change, but worth doing. However, before you go doing that, be sure to check the door seals on the passenger door, and maybe the sunroof if you have one, these are also fairly well known for leaking. If it's the door seals, I've found piercing some small holes in the bottom of the seal with a stanley knife can help the water to drain out. Alternatively you could find yourself a replacement seal, it's easy enough to pop the old one off and a new one on. Smile

As for the squealing, I'm gonna hazard a guess its coming from the bottom of the passenger side of the dash? In which case, it's likely to be the fan motor starting to give up. There is a guide on here somewhere iirc to help get rid of the squeak, but it's only really a temporary option I believe. Best course of action is a replacement unit.

Other than that, welcome to the forum, get some pics up when you can! Smile Got any plans for the car? Or keeping it as is?
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by: Pipsqueakaboo
Hi!! Thanks! Smile

I've had a look at my seal and it doesn't seem like them. I have no sunroof lol.

Also one thing I should mention. I felt around the wet part and the sides of the door are dry and up towards the dash is dry. It's purely just the footwell that's wet. But it's not like it trickled down from anywhere as its all dry. Very weird.

Oh crap. How do I find the fan motor to have a look?

Yes I shall do so!! I'm still trying to find how to use this site! Smile
Thanks given by:
The fan motor is below the glovebox covered with a section of carpet above the footwell, remove the cover, undo the 3 mount bolts/screws and it should drop out! Undo the wire connector and its out!
Ah right okay. Well if the weather allows on Saturday I might have to have a look! Smile
Thanks given by:
Mines got a whistle too. It sometimes goes away. If it's a screeching then it might be a slipping drive belt. Mines a whistle and I'm pretty sure it's the fuel pump. If you turn the key to on without actually starting it, it whistles for a second which im assuming is the fuel pump priming the engine. It's done 181000 miles so I just put up with it. Lol
Oh crap. Well I managed to sort it out!

The fans and heating stopped working and it was screeching.

But I know it's a loose connection under the dash/above passenger footwell. I wiggled it about a bit and it's now working and I've had no more screeching! Big Grin

Yay go me!!
Thanks given by:
Hello and welcome! Easy way to check for heater matrix leaking is to check your coolant levels in the radiator under the bonnet, if the footwells full of water its a pretty common thing on these cars Smile
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
Lol. Cheap fix that one
Thanks given by: