HDI gearbox on XUD. Which HDI box?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HDI gearbox on XUD. Which HDI box?
Looking for a HDI gearbox to fit onto my XUD D turbo for improved fuel economy. Looking on eBay, there seems to be more selection of HDI gearboxes from cars such as 307 and 407? I notice a couple of listings from 407's which are 6 speed HDI gearboxes?

Would any HDI gearbox fit just as easy as a 306 HDI gearbox, or must it be from a 306 HDI?

Would this 407 6 speed be beneficial, or perhaps even better at reducing motorway rpm's?

Thanks!
Thanks given by:
You have to look whether they're cable operated gear shift or hydraulic clutch. Both of which you can't use
Thanks given by:
Just get a 306 hdi one. Not rare loads lying about. Ask on breaking ads on ebay as well. I've bought three recently that are all currently I use. Most I paid was £50 cheapest was a tenner.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
(25-01-2016, 11:33 AM)bashbarnard Wrote: Just get a 306 hdi one. Not rare loads lying about. Ask on breaking ads on ebay as well. I've bought three recently that are all currently I use. Most I paid was £50 cheapest was a tenner.

Cool, fair enough! Thanks! I'll use those prices as a guide. There are some on eBay for £150!!  Speechless
Thanks given by:
Also remember that most HDi boxes from later higher powered models aren't BE series - thus you've a whole heap more work to fit them including various custom parts.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
(25-01-2016, 01:06 PM)powerandtorque Wrote: Also remember that most HDi boxes from later higher powered models aren't BE series - thus you've a whole heap more work to fit them including various custom parts.

Ah, I didn't know that! Is there any specific years or gearbox/chassis numbers I should know about before going ahead & buying?
Thanks given by:
Just buy a 306 HDi one and it'll be fine. There's loads of them about and they're routinely less than £50 on here, so not worth messing around with anything else when they'll be a straight swap other than needing to change either the clutch arm/fork (to use your existing XUD pull clutch - which is what I would do) or the clutch, flywheel and cable (to use a HDi push clutch).
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
(25-01-2016, 10:10 AM)Paul_13 Wrote: You have to look whether they're cable operated gear shift or hydraulic clutch. Both of which you can't use

if its a be box and the right angle bellhousing you can use them fine, just swap the selector arm, fit a cable type ckutch arm and use the appropriate cable.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
(25-01-2016, 01:14 PM)powerandtorque Wrote: Just buy a 306 HDi one and it'll be fine.  There's loads of them about and they're routinely less than £50 on here, so not worth messing around with anything else when they'll be a straight swap other than needing to change either the clutch arm/fork (to use your existing XUD pull clutch - which is what I would do) or the clutch, flywheel and cable (to use a HDi push clutch).

Ok ideal, so any 306 HDI gearbox. I thought you meant there were different/higher power model 306 HDI's for a moment.

RE clutch, I thought I'd be using my D Turbo clutch/flywheel & cable? From reading this, it mentions nothing about clutch/flywheel or cable. Apart from cable bracket to swap from XUD to HDI box? http://www.theywhoshallnotbenamed/index....ditoxudbox
Thanks given by:
You missed the "or" in my sentence - it's one or t'other. That way you've linked to is fine and is the way that I would do it in your shoes.
Thanks given by:
(25-01-2016, 02:07 PM)powerandtorque Wrote: You missed the "or" in my sentence - it's one or t'other.  That way you've linked to is fine and is the way that I would do it in your shoes.

Ahhh, I see  Rofl Its Monday, that's my excuse! 

Sound! This is good as I have just bought a new XUD clutch cable from Peugeot, among other things, which wasn't all that cheap! Haha. Thanks for advice. Hunt continues for 306 HDI 'box
Thanks given by:
When you do it - replace the Nylon bushes on the fork, you'll thank me later for the pence it'll cost - they're what always make the clutch feel like stepping on a turd, once you replace them they feel like new Smile
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(25-01-2016, 04:50 PM)Ruan Wrote: When you do it - replace the Nylon bushes on the fork, you'll thank me later for the pence it'll cost - they're what always make the clutch feel like stepping on a turd, once you replace them they feel like new Smile

Thanks! Luckily I've read about this already, got new nylon bushes sat next to me, bought from Peugeot ready to fit  ThumbsUp
Thanks given by: