1.4 - Noise - Gearbox Bearings or Wheel Bearings?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1.4 - Noise - Gearbox Bearings or Wheel Bearings?
Hi

Recently picked up a 2002 1.4 306, and it makes a lovely grinding/grumbling noise 30mph onwards from the front end which gets quite loud as the speed increases. Doesn't matter if it is in gear or accelerating/decelerating. I've checked the wheel bearings and there is no play but the offside is pretty stiff compared the nearside so I am suspecting them anyway. However I've read a lot about how poor the MA gearboxes are with weak diff bearings so wondering if it could be that instead? What are the typical symptoms of a common failing box?

I also jacked the car up on one side at a time and drove it in gear - this recreates the noise on both sides.

Thanks Smile
Thanks given by:
The most common sign is the diff exiting the casing stage left.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
So lets start with the basics here. First the "stiff side" shouldn't be stiff. Id be checking your brake isn't partially siezed and making funny noises so pop the calliper off and spin it to see if its free and check pads move freely.

Next you want to know wheel bearing noise or gearbox. (if noise hasn't already gone) you cant jack up and drive it if you think it may be the gearbox still gonna make the noise. So drive down the road find a long sweeping bend where you maintain speed and as you go round the bend the at the same speed the pitch of the noise will change as the wheel bearing gets loaded up differently. If it doesn't then gearbox would be a safe bet. Also while you're at it please check the rears noise travels. Jack up and spin.

All this is achievable in less than half hour so nice and quick as well.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Thanks, I whipped the brake callipers off so I know it's not brakes binding. Good shout on checking the rears also. I will try the long sweeping bend method!

Thanks again.
Thanks given by:
No problem at all. Smile
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  gearbox bearings gone :( callumh122000 9 2,521 24-09-2013, 11:02 PM
Last Post: Jenkosowls
  gearbox / clutch noise callumh122 8 4,002 04-08-2013, 11:03 AM
Last Post: pugjohn306