1.4 TU on carbs

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1.4 TU on carbs
I have a 1.4 tu engine in my 306 at the moment and I want to mess with it a little I know I won't get much more from it but I was wondering is it possible to run it on two twin barrel carbs ? I'm gonna polish the exhaust manifold, remove the cat and sort a straight through exhaust from there to a back box. Again I know I won't get much power from this but it'll sound good and be a bit of fun
Thanks given by:
You can get a direct fit carb for the job if you change the head to an early 205 one with manifold etcs afaik. I seriously wouldn't bother. The little tu engines are brilliant fun to play with but only in smaller cars like 106s/axs etc. I'm sure welsh pug will be along in a second to tell you exactly what you would need though.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Euro 205 rallyes and AX sports had twin webers. But the manifold is like rocking horse shite these days and would need the appropriate cylinder head too

You could block off the injector holes, find an AXGT/205XS dizzy housing and bits then run it on bike carbs with a boggbros type manifold. With a decent cam, plenty of headwork and lots of knowhow ive seen a few of these engines make really good power and be very competitive in the autograss/oval track scene

But as bash says, lil TUs are best in a saxo/106/ax/205s or even a c2
Thanks given by:
Ah I understand thanks guys !! I'm planning an xud build at the moment and I think I'm just gonna get a d turbo and build on that cause this engine is quite fresh for its age and the car is very clean. I don't really wanna spend massive money on it just a simple set up of the carbs and exhaust and ill probably get the head polished too, Would I be able to go with that set up your talking about without doing work on the cam etc ? Or is there a cheap upgrade for the cam ? Say 1.6 etc ?
Thanks given by:
Of the 8v TUs im sure the 106 s1 rallye had the most aggressive cam profile but theres at least 2 different journal sizes so theres no garuantee itll fit in your head without checking

A dturbo will be better suited to the weight of the 306, theres no comparison between the torque of an XUDT and an N/A TU
Thanks given by:
^^What he said.

...the TU is far more fun Wink
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
I would rather put in a 1.6 or 1.8 engine for gain more power and bhp. Also be far cheaper and easier to source all the bits as well.
Thanks given by:
Theres no reason you couldnt use 1.6. Itll take the dizzy housing and retain the same mounts as the 1.4 and even bolt straight up to the MA gearbox (an XU7 wont). Its also probably the most common PSA petrol engine of the 90/00s .... so theyre cheap and everywhere
Thanks given by:
the later silvertop roller rocker doesn't have a lobe on the camshaft or casting for the fuel pump though, just fyi, the early VTR did though, harder to find nowadays but worth it imo - a friend of mine has done this and got i think it was 127BHP on the rollers before it developed a few problems, he's back on Efi iirc
Project: Formula Peugeot
Thanks given by:
get a poor condition vtr or a matching 1.6 with some cosmetic damage and drop the lump in.

engines near me are around £100 for a good one without a box and we changed a friends 206 1.4 to a 1.6 vtr on the 1.4 box was practically plug and play
Thanks given by:
Thank you all for the advice. I just want to get a better sound out of it really and more power if possible. I don't wanna spend mad money or swap for a bigger engine in this cause I have plans for an xud. Just want a cheap, simple way of getting more air and fuel in and out of the engine really.
Thanks given by:
I've consulted my Dad on this topic who has built a Mini1275gt from the ground up and is in the process of building it again. He's not a Peugeot guy but he knows his stuff on engines so I asked anyway. He said to leave the spi in and just get a decent induction kit with a cold air feed, good exhaust and a chip or remap. He said that's the easiest and cheapest way to get more power out of this engine. Any thoughts ?

Just to keep in mind I really don't want to spend much on this engine as I'm getting a D Turbo for the xud build so this is gonna be a daily for a while then most likely a show queen. I currently daily a bmw 318i which will be changed for a Toyota Altezza or Lexus IS200 this year so Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Leave it alone and save for the xud. If you want a beefy sound out the 1.4. Drill the crap outta the airbox and fit an exhaust. But imo just leave it.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
You'll get the grand total of sweet F/A from a remap.

Your lighter wallet might improve the power/weight.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
I appreciate that. Don't think it's good for much else than reliable cruising and looking good while the 1.4 tu is in there hahaha. Definitely will be doing lots aesthetically though she'll look sweet Smile
Thanks given by:
Ditto. A modified TU can be a very entertaining engine ... but itd take some decent money to make it feel special in a 306. If youre going for a XUD then concentrate your money and efforts on that plan

Then get a saxo/106/ax/205 shell if you want a lively TU to play with Big Grin
Thanks given by:
(07-01-2016, 05:05 PM)thododd Wrote: Ditto. A modified TU can be a very entertaining engine ... but itd take some decent money to make it feel special in a 306. If youre going for a XUD then concentrate your money and efforts on that plan

Then get a saxo/106/ax/205 shell if you want a lively TU to play with Big Grin

Definitely and seeing as I'm gonna have an Altezza to play with aswel I don't see much point in it but I'm definitely gonna do cosmetic work to this one it's not going untouched hahaha. I can't see it ending up anywhere but as a show queen unless I drop a gti lump in there at some stage
Thanks given by:
Im going to echo the guys above and say hold out for the XUD. If you're like a lot of us, you probably just like fiddling with things so want to do something with the TU thats in there now but in all honesty, the 1.4 was never really the best engine in the world and costs a fair amount to get any power out of it.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(09-01-2016, 09:00 AM)Niall Wrote: Im going to echo the guys above and say hold out for the XUD. If you're like a lot of us, you probably just like fiddling with things so want to do something with the TU thats in there now but in all honesty, the 1.4 was never really the best engine in the world and costs a fair amount to get any power out of it.

I'm gonna be honest your spot on the money there lol. I've already had the whole throttle body/injector assembly out and re adjusted it all which gave me a better throttle response but you are right I'm just gonna get a better noise from this one and then focus on the cosmetic side of things. I've got a lot of plans drawn up for the XUD so that'll be interesting and I'll keep threads up here of both projects Smile
Thanks given by:
If you have to do something to the 1.4 just slap a 4 branch ex manifold on and drive it to death
Thanks given by:
(11-01-2016, 08:40 PM)thododd Wrote: If you have to do something to the 1.4 just slap a 4 branch ex manifold on and drive it to death

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/CITROEN-SAXO-1-4-...Sw~gRVp3yn

Something like this ?
Thanks given by:
(12-01-2016, 01:04 PM)Adam CD P1 Wrote:
(11-01-2016, 08:40 PM)thododd Wrote: If you have to do something to the 1.4 just slap a 4 branch ex manifold on and drive it to death

Something like this ?

Yeah but 106/saxo one doesnt fit iirc
Thanks given by:
(12-01-2016, 01:58 PM)Seb_Ryan Wrote:
(12-01-2016, 01:04 PM)Adam CD P1 Wrote:

Something like this ?

Yeah but 106/saxo one doesnt fit iirc

I took some measurements earlier and I think it should fit. Where the aftermarket one kinks off that's to go around the oil filter just like my stock one does. I'm gonna give it a shot and see haha hopefully it'll work
Thanks given by:
That bit fits.. Its the bit underneath thatll need modifying
Thanks given by: Adam CD P1
(12-01-2016, 04:30 PM)Seb_Ryan Wrote: That bit fits.. Its the bit underneath thatll need modifying
Oh cool that's not bad then. What do you have todo with the underside ?
Thanks given by:
(12-01-2016, 04:38 PM)Adam CD P1 Wrote:
(12-01-2016, 04:30 PM)Seb_Ryan Wrote: That bit fits.. Its the bit underneath thatll need modifying

Chop the bit off that goes straight back and weld on the bit from your standard manifold that goes up and over the subframe.

I do have some R6 throttle bodies here that were destined for my 1.4....
Thanks given by:
(12-01-2016, 10:56 PM)Rippthrough Wrote:
(12-01-2016, 04:38 PM)Adam CD P1 Wrote:

Chop the bit off that goes straight back and weld on the bit from your standard manifold that goes up and over the subframe.

I do have some R6 throttle bodies here that were destined for my 1.4....

Sweet thanks dude this'll be on fairly soon then I think Big Grin

Would they happen to be for sale ? Or possibly for sale in the future ?
Thanks given by:
Since I've just sold the engine and now I need 6 throttle bodies, not 4, probably Big Grin
Thanks given by:
(13-01-2016, 11:21 AM)Rippthrough Wrote: Since I've just sold the engine and now I need 6 throttle bodies, not 4, probably Big Grin

Nice one haha keep me in mind Smile
Thanks given by:
xs or ax had twin solex carbs
Thanks given by: