307 1.4hdi non runner

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
307 1.4hdi non runner
The mothers 307 in typical 307 fashion has chosen the best possible time to develop a fuelling issue... 

I don't have much time to work on it but I've so far tested for air ingres into the fuel system, doesn't appear to be leaking anywhere. 

Next line of enquiry was the high pressure pump. 
I don't really know anything about these 1.4 hdi engines as this is the first time in 5 years it's ever gone wrong, but I'm thinking high pressure pump failure giving the same symptoms as a 2l hdi when it goes. 

Diagnostics show nothing wrong other than there's no fuel pressure while cranking, so hp pump or fpr? 

Do the pumps on these have a pressure regulator similar to a 2l? All I know so far is the pumps a bitch to get to 

Any thoughts appreciated
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Have you tried a hammer yet?
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
Would of thought the pump would give a little pressure even if its wore out

Regulator is a right sod to get at.

Rail sensor isn't too bad as a first port of call.
Thanks given by:
(23-12-2015, 03:51 PM)mr_fish Wrote: Would of thought the pump would give a little pressure even if its wore out

I was thinking if it would be a sensor related issue, just not sure how complex the management is. One thing it did do was put on the low coolant warning even when it was full. Would a faulty coolant sensor cause a non start? I did notice how much of a bitch the pump is to get to and if I can get away without replacing it I'll be happy.

(23-12-2015, 03:20 PM)silverzx Wrote: Have you tried a hammer yet?

First thing to try. Didn't work
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
(23-12-2015, 05:00 PM)ozonehostile Wrote: First thing to try. Didn't work

Oh damn it! Zip ties?
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
(23-12-2015, 05:00 PM)ozonehostile Wrote:
(23-12-2015, 03:51 PM)mr_fish Wrote: Would of thought the pump would give a little pressure even if its wore out

I was thinking if it would be a sensor related issue, just not sure how complex the management is. One thing it did do was put on the low coolant warning even when it was full. Would a faulty coolant sensor cause a non start? I did notice how much of a bitch the pump is to get to and if I can get away without replacing it I'll be happy.

Wouldn't of thought so. My old man has driven his 1.4hdi with a knackard coolant sensor for a few weeks (duno how, that beeping drove me insane from driving it 50 yards) and it drove fine. btw a 306 one works if you have one to swap with.

Defo diesel in it? an not petrol?
Pull the rail sensor and either swap for another.
cam and crank in sync? had a crank sensor die on one though it would at least idle.

One other thing is to check the loom that goes from the top backside of the engine (feeds injectors, etc) and follow that down, see if thats chaffed on anything.
Thanks given by:
It's got over half a tank of diesel in, last filled about 2 weeks ago and just decided not to start the other morning so I'm sure that's alright.

I'll get pp2k on the case when I can get it back to my workshop and see if I can find anything the snapon couldn't
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
I would look at the data from cranking first and foremost. Zero rail pressure would indicate either a faulty rail pressure sensor, or a completely shagged pump. IIRC there is no in tank pump, only a HP pump and priming grenade, so it would be unusual for it to fail completely.

Zero rail pressure would cause the non-start obviously. Can you not bodge the one off your HDi onto it to see if it'll start?
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
interesting new development with this when we where towing it back to my unit. whilst towing with the ignition on it started going mental, windows going up and down, lights flashing, hazards on and off, locking and unlocking etc....

Blown bsi unit seem a plausible explanation? I changed the fuel rail pressure sensor first and it made no difference.
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Had a 2.0hdi 206 do something like that.

As soon as you connected the battery, the Hazards would flash and the wipers would turn on. Would turn over but wouldn't fire.

Only stopped when disconnected the battery.

I but that down to a Blown BSI. ECU was fine as that's been put into use.

Spose just check the earth points before you condemn it.
Thanks given by:
Yeah I'll have a look to make sure everything's being reconnected after I changed the rail sensor. Hopefully it is the bsi, straight forward fix then
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
They don't use the same BSi as the 206 do they? If so, pull the large plugs off and look for melted pins.

Had that on a 2.0 206, fuel pump relay pin in the BSi melted the plastic causing shorts, their BSIs seemed common for melting various places when I was researching it. Confused
Thanks given by: