Run out of diesel. Procedure? ASAP pls

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Run out of diesel. Procedure? ASAP pls
Ok, not in my car but I might be buying a car/scrap car tomorrow to break for parts.

Seller has just told me its run out of diesel, but I'm wondering if that'll be more of an issue than just putting more diesel in the tank?

Can someone reply ASAP with what to do in this situation please? It's a scrap car anyway, but I do need it to run for a few mins.

It's a 1.9 TD XUD. Thanks!
Thanks given by:
If it has a Lucas pump, there is an 8mm bleed screw on the pump, sometimes with a bit of clear pipe connected. Unscrew and use hand primer to reprime.

If it's a Bosch, and won't start straight away may have to crack injector lines with a 17mm spanner to get rid of air.

Most of time they don't air up too bad
Thanks given by:
Ok cool. It's a Lucas pump, I've seen & driven the car before. The seller is a bit of a pita, but it's cheap & has some stuff on it I want! Just need it to run enough to get on my trailer.

So basically, put diesel in tank, locate 8mm bleed screw, loosen, hand prime a few pumps? Re-tighten bleed screw, attempt to start car?
Thanks given by:
Yeah that's it
Thanks given by:
I caused myself this problem about 10 ( shit man) years ago changing a fuel filter at home with no correct toolage or clue!
My dad came and cracked off the injectors and had it up and running in a few mins!
Handy old turbo engineer he is at times lol!
He used to fit fire driver rigs on oil rigs and was totally responsible for the decommissioning of the Brent spar platform due to a random welding spark that got away down the wrong hole in the platform plates
( big bad ass bang ) not lol scarey fkn shit man!
Thanks given by:
Alternatively, stick it in gear and move it about on the starter if you can't get it to go. Should be enough to get onto the trailer.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
If you cant bleed the air out of it as mentioned above, bump it by towing it along in second
Thanks given by:
give it a sniff of start ya bastard after a few cycles of glow plugs and crank it on full throttle, the lady garden should start.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
This is an old thread guys...
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  procedure to adjust pump to suit engine pjb123 7 2,561 02-05-2013, 11:42 AM
Last Post: londondan86