Windows 7 vs 10

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows 7 vs 10
So... It's been a while since I cared about upgrading but with the DX12 updates in Windows 10 I'm considering it as an option for some extra FPS in games (Fallout 4) and for a more modern look.

Anyone care to say why I should / shouldn't upgrade?

I'd also like to RAID0 my SSD for the OS to run on and RAID1 my media drive so I have a backup of all my precious photos.

Could be a good opportunity to do all at once.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
I'm personally not a huge fan of 10, I use it daily on my work machine but it still feels a bit slower than 8. Use 8.1 on my home machine and i probably prefer it, the only real difference looks wise is the start menu which isn't even that customisable in 10 anyway

The DX12 improvements in 10 wouldn't help with Fallout anyway given it uses DX11 but yeah would be handy for newer games in the future. It runs well enough on my 8.1 system atm
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I find 10 takes ages to load anything... Boots in seconds but then takes minutes to open anything after that.

It does look cleaner and has everything where you want it, just a shame about the lag issue that I can't seem to resolve!
Thanks given by:
Scheduled backup to an external usb drive would be safer than raid.
Thanks given by:
Balls, seems like Win 7 could be staying a while then..
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
win7 4 lyf
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
(11-11-2015, 12:23 PM)tigerstyle Wrote: Scheduled backup to an external usb drive would be safer than raid.

how?

(11-11-2015, 12:40 PM)lolsteve Wrote: win7 4 lyf

+1
Thanks given by:
Win 10 slow on laptop...like deathly slow...

Win 8.1 on pc mega fast! Bit unsure still about going to 10 on PC but prefer 10 format over 8.1
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I can't speak from a gaming prospective, but I've found Windows 10 works very well for the most part and I've not noticed any slowness issues over Windows 7.

Indeed, on the few systems that I've installed it on it's run at least as quickly as Windows 7 which I hadn't expected given that historically each new version of Windows was more bloated and resource hungry than it's predecessor and was noticeably slower on the same hardware.

(11-11-2015, 12:58 PM)Eeyore Wrote:
(11-11-2015, 12:23 PM)tigerstyle Wrote: Scheduled backup to an external usb drive would be safer than raid.

how?

The built in backup utility in Win10 actually does this very well out of the box and the standard settings will do pretty much exactly what you want, assuming that you keep your documents, photos etc in the default libraries. If you don't, you just have to select which drives/folders you want to backup and it'll just quietly do it in the background daily without any input from you.

The best solution is to have both RAID and a backup - the two compliment each other.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:

how?

RAID is not a backup, there are many failure modes it does not protect against. 
An external usb is a cheaper option to protect against more, cloud and a nas can go further.

I've found win10 quicker on a variety of machines, those with sluggishness I'd format or look elsewhere for issues.
Thanks given by:
I used windows 7 on the gaming pc and upgraded. Havnt noticed any difference at all in performance or reliability also the dx12 bit helps me want windows 10 as well. Also run it on my laptop again with no adverse effects at all.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Run it on my g/fs laptop and it's been fine.

Combined it with an upgrade to SSD, perhaps thats the key to sort slow load times?
Thanks given by:
(11-11-2015, 01:20 PM)tigerstyle Wrote:

how?

RAID is not a backup, there are many failure modes it does not protect against. 
An external usb is a cheaper option to protect against more, cloud and a nas can go further.

I've found win10 quicker on a variety of machines, those with sluggishness I'd format or look elsewhere for issues.

If you some how accidentally erase part of your virtual disk, sure enough, the whole lot goes with Smile
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
10 runs faster than 8.1 and 7 on all my machines, once you turn the shite off (but then I used to do that in 8 and 7 too)
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
I love W10. Got it on my laptop, and its super smooth. No lag issues here. And opens everything quicker than my W7 install did.
Thanks given by:
I can see how a USB and RAID would be good but I wouldnt have just a USB drive on its own. RAID 5 seems to be the best bet.
Thanks given by:
RAID is fine, but it's obviously limited in what it protects you against.

Against a disk failure, it's great as you don't lose data and you're up and running without downtime.

Against a file system corruption, idiotic user deleting/overwriting a file or viruses inflicted woes however it's useless.

A separate backup protects against the those, but clearly a restore of a complete system takes time.

That's why you want both in an ideal world.

I'm not personally convinced by RAID 5 in a typical home environment - it has advantages in a corporate environment certainly, but for a home user I'd always go RAID 1. Yes you lose 50% of your total capacity, but you've got a perfect replica of your disk that you can if needs be remove and plug into another computer and read the data.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
(11-11-2015, 04:50 PM)Rippthrough Wrote: 10 runs faster than 8.1 and 7 on all my machines, once you turn the shite off (but then I used to do that in 8 and 7 too)

Which shite is that specifically? I tried working out what stuff I didn't need but was too worried about messing the whole thing up so just left it lol. lol
Thanks given by:
RAID5 has serious issues on large arrays, especially when using large, consumer grade disks - one read error over a rebuild can write off the lot... Consumer grade drives are usually rated to one URE (Unrecoverable Read Error) every 10E+14 bits, which is about 1 in 12TiB - that means a very high likelihood of not being able to rebuild the array, not saying it'll happen every time, but it's easy to happen and the bigger the set, the more likely and the more data you stand to lose.. With RAID sets as large as they are for such little money, you're much better sticking with RAID1... If you're desperate for write performance, RAID1+0... Drives are cheap for the quantity of data you can store...

If you give a shit about your data, backups are best, RAID is an availability thing really...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Gonna wave the flag one more time and say RAID is for redundancy and not backup.

RAID sounds cool, much cooler than saying I run 'xxx piece of software each Sunday AM to backup my data to an external USB drive'
But when you delete a file by mistake of your RAID, and it's gone from both drives instantly then RAID does not help you. Or it corrupts, gets attacked, PSU blows and takes out both drives etc...
Thanks given by:
RAID1 on 2TB HDD is £100 for two drives, I'm not scared of system going corrupt or anything, just of drive failure.

RAID0 on two 128GB SSD drives for uber read/write speeds. Yes I know SSD's are flaky, but it's only running the OS, everything important is on the RAID1 drives!
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
My setup at home is RAID1. Im going to upgrade it and probably bin off those harddrives into a NAS systems.
Thanks given by:
XP FTW!
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by: