Ewan MacGregor: Cold Chain Mission

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ewan MacGregor: Cold Chain Mission
so I just got finished with watching this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... Episode_1/

and I found it made me feel really ''home''sick, for want of a better word.

If you''re all thinking 'wtf', then I'll explain.

I grew up in Nepal and India, when I was 3 yrs old, my parents moved out to Nepal as my dad started work with an NGO working with technical assistance in rural hospital in the arse end of nowhere in Nepal, while my mum helped with medical type stuff, mostly neonatal clinics (clinics for new born kids and whatnot) and things like that. then we moved to another part of nepal and dad worked as a project manager in a leprosy hospital, while my mum did more health related stuff, specifically with self help and care for people affected by leprosy, and also income generation, so teaching various skills and stuff so people can earn money to support themselves.
after that, they did a bit of work with arsenic mitigation in east Nepal, but now they are in the foothill of the himalayas working with the nepal red cross to help bring fresh water and electricity to the villages there, and my mum is also still helping with health related stuff (shes a trained nurse so it kinda comes naturally to her)
if you skip to about 28 minutes, the place where they go called Nepalgunj is one of the places we lived for a couple of years, and then at 33 minutes in, you see the airstrip that my parents fly into, and the place called Gamgadhi is where they are currently living. they actually met Ewan when he was there and were interviewed, but the work they do isnt related to the prgram he did so wasn't aired.

i know the program is an hour long, so i know a lot of you probably wont watch it, and i know some of you will see that huge essay and probably wont read it, but i dont care, watching that made me miss nepal, i spent mostof my life growing up out there, and i just anted to share that with you lot.

for those that thought TL,DR; i grew up in nepal, i watched that show, made me miss nepal, wanted to share.

/ramble
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
Cheers for posting that Sam, will take a look during the week if I get a chance Smile

That's really interesting though that you grew up over there. When did you move back? It must be quite cool (for want of a better word) to have seen and experienced a completely different way of life and now be living in London...
Thanks given by:
Thats pretty cool mate.
Must bring back memories, seeing where you used to live on TV. All we get on TV for here, is crime lol.

Might be me being dumb, but the clip on the link is only 2 mins long?
[Image: car-1.jpg]

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
hah totally forgot about this thread!

yeah the video isnt on iplayer anymore, but it is available for download, pretty sure anyway, think my sister found it.

haha yeah, 'cool' is one way to describe! its definitely different, having been at school in scotland, then at a school run by expats in nepal, then home schooled, then back to scotland, then to boarding school in india, then i spent my gap year (yarr) back in scotland dossing about. then came down to kingston, and here i am!

moved back in 2007, ages ago now!

but yeah, it certainly opens your eyes up to a whole different way of looking at things!

it was cool to be able to recognise the places along the way that ive seen from photos my mum and dad have shown me, i've not actually been to where they are right now, im hoping to be able to go next summer after uni, if i can afford it!
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Thanks given by: