In-Laws 2001 Xsara 1.6 multiple issues

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In-Laws 2001 Xsara 1.6 multiple issues
How Do.

Somehow the Father-in-law has ended up talking me into a car swap for a few weeks, he's doing some motorway miles so took my HDi for a while to save fuel. Also he knows his car has plenty of issues I won't stand for and will end up fixing during my time with it.
Only ever briefly owned a Xsara for a few days a few years back so not worked on on before. So will list the problems I've picked up on and maybe people could give me some pointers of where to start please?

Drivers seat: Doesn't move back or forward and drops everytime you sit on it? Any ideas where to look before removing seat from car?

Rear Wiper: Not working

Passenger door: Central locking works on key but not on remote

Boot: Only opens when your pressing remote button and boot handle / switch and yanking at same time.

Clutch: Not done one before and not got a Haynes for it either. Any parts of job that are a total pita?

Totally Gutless and drinks petrol? He let slip before it likely hasn't been serviced in 1.5-2years so that'll get done but I would have expected it to be a bit...... better than it actually is. Gona run it on v-power for a bit see if it helps anything through.
Thanks given by:
I think you got the rough end of that deal! lol

Drivers seat dropping - does it 'roll' back and down or just straight down? Either broken height adjuster or broken seat frame.

Rear wiper - Motor probably got wet and died, can you check for voltage at the plug?

Passenger door - door loom maybe?

Clutch - pretty easy but awkward/heavy on your own.
Thanks given by:
Well.... Seats done, just like you said it was the height adjuster, the bracket caught on the runner and one bolt in the runner and one totally missing. least thats sorted now.
Gutless, well still gutless but improved a bit since new air filter, old one was totally clogged, one of worst I've ever seen so least now it can breathe. Gona get the oil tomorrow, forgot ECP aint open today but its listing two oil filters and don't have a clue which one it is.
Stereo is confusing as it either is permanent live or comes on / goes to delayed sleep with the bsi?

Long and short of it he's taking adantage of my ocd and I want my bloody pug back!
Thanks given by:
Is one filter a metal canister type and the other a paper element? Fairly sure it'll be paper element in 2001.

As for being gutless, it's a 1.6 petrol, what did you expect? Are you driving it properly and redlining every gear? Or are you driving it like a diesel and expecting low end torque? Tongue
Thanks given by:
Haha yeh I know I have been driving it like a diesel at times, but given how poor the service history is I aint gona thrash it till I serviced it.

The filter options are both paper elements but one has a pokey stick the other doesn't. Waiting for approval to join cxoc at moment but even on their search not had much luck finding a answer to which one.
Thanks given by:
There are dates on the ECP listings, pre 2004 has the 'pokey stick' according to that. You probably cant see them on a phone/tablet.
Thanks given by:
Bloody phones. Well I'll got for the pokey stick one then, gona put Shell Ultra 5w40in it too seeing as thats a reasonable £17.99 for 5ltrs.
Wouldn't mind but gave mine a full service two weeks ago and now he's had off with mine to do his motorway jaunts and left me with hos that needs the same all over again and then some.
His excuse is that apparently when my missus passes her test he's giving it to her so its in my interest to do it on his behalf. How about given he works in KwikFit he looks after his own car the way he bloody should.
Thanks given by:
He works in Kwik Fit? No wonder it's shit then. Itwasntme lol

Yeah I used that Shell in various 306s, usually 10w40 though, decent for the price tbf. Smile
Thanks given by:
Asda has 4 litre magnatec for £22 this week! U think he will want to swap back???
Thanks given by: