Dodgy stereo wiring or what ?? !!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dodgy stereo wiring or what ?? !!
The stereo was intermittent at best right from when I bought The Scraper.
 Worse than bodged wiring was probably to blame.
Is this dodgy wiring correct?  Nospeak

[Image: Dodgy%20stereo%20wiring.jpg]

Honestly, there was no evidence of electrical tape or any insulation of any description whatsoever. I wonder if the previous . . . no, I'm not going to comment, no.
The red and yellow may have been joined in a previous life, but weren't pointing at each other after I removed the unit from the dash. I started to refresh the ends ready for testing, then thought better and posted it up here before commiting whatever. BUT, and it's a big BUTT!! I did see a couple of sparks as I (ahem) eased the unit free the first time. Though the sparks did seem to come from the area of the aerial connection, so I'm not entirely sure of the cause. I realize that the aerial was prolly the only earth by the time the unit was mostly out. The speaker plugs danglin at the top were not connected to anything and the non-plugged blue/white wires are for a remote. 
 To be honest, I hope this doesn't look familiar to anyone, as it seems like a fire waiting to happen. So i may wait till next month and just buy a new stereo. 

I do have a 12v leisure battery in the house, but no spare car speakers, otherwise I might test it on it's own. 

The main issue in all of this malarkey is that my singing is aw-some-ful!  lmao
WoW! That was cheap!  Inlove
Thanks given by:
lol.

it could be for your power airal if you have one. As long as the stations are all there when you power down and power back up (at least 20secs interval) then you can just blank them off.
Not always Grumpy!!
306 Cabby SE, 2.0l 16v 
To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be!

Thanks given by:
The red and yellow have been swapped for a permanent live to hold radio stations.

Black one is the earth I think, so that probably only got cut by accident. lol
Thanks given by:
Well, the unit is a bit scabby, but I tried connecting it to my leisure battery, with the yellow wire, the earth connection and with the chassis connected and with both. No response from the on/off button. So I'm gonna give it to a guy at work who does a bit of ICE installation now and again. If he brings it back and says it works, I can get a new Pioneer 16pin from Fleabay for £3.99, or he might have one for me. If it's a bit knackered anyway, I'll bin it.

[Image: scabice.jpg]

[Image: scabice1.jpg]

Sorry, second pic is crap. It's a DEH-P6300R. But the whole thing is fithy, just like the interior of the car. I shall prolly shell out of a bit of valeting as I can't be arsed to bend me back that much these days.  Doh  Itwasntme
WoW! That was cheap!  Inlove
Thanks given by:
You can pick up the pioneer plug connections for the system off fleabay seems they cut the red and yellow for a continuous live........but the in line fuse has disappeared I'd check the little fuse on the unit as I bet that's popped when you "ragged it out" lol for testing you just need what's connected to the black pin as the white pin are usually speaker wires only also tape up the rca leads as they also get a current through them and the remote 1 too
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stereo wiring problem Saddlebags 5 1,064 06-07-2014, 01:43 PM
Last Post: Kwik