Key won't turn...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Key won't turn...
Hi my key won't turn so I obviously can't start my car, I was driving it no more than 25 minutes ago and have been trying for the past 15 mins to turn it and it's no working, the steering lock is on and it won't come off, how can I overcome this issue?

and yes I have tried turning the wheel and turning the key like you normally would to release the steering lock
Thanks given by:
Tried a bit of lube?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Don't use wd40!
Thanks given by:
Plenty of wiggling the key and wiggling the steering wheel at the same time. It should hopefully eventually come free. If it does, not not remove the key until you have a replacement lock to go in. Likely the mech is worn hence the steering lock won't release. Almost certain you need to have the steering lock unlocked to change the barrel
Cherry Red Rallye - Full on OEM resto.....
Thanks given by:
Had to change the barrell in mine the other day because lost my keys. Just made shit of the bits that lock the barrel in place with a hammer and punch. It slid straight out then☺

HDI D'Turbo Daily Driver ---- XUD D'Turbo Project
Thanks given by:
I had this with my hdi. Quick bit of lube and it never happened again.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
Graphite lock lube FTW!
Thanks given by:
I managed to get it free with wiggling of both parts, it has only done it 3 times in the 10 months I have owned the car and doesn't do it very often so I will wait until it fully goes and then lube it up Smile
Thanks given by:
When it fully goes it'll be beyond lubing... Not fun if you're stuck miles away somewhere...
Thanks given by:
(19-10-2015, 11:02 AM)Toms306 Wrote: When it fully goes it'll be beyond lubing... Not fun if you're stuck miles away somewhere...
Yup +1 go get graphite lock lube and give it a squirt while you still can! It's only a fiver and will save you time and money later!
Thanks given by:
Don't spray wd40 in it, you need graphite power as said Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
So where do I spray it? Presumably inside the barrel?
Thanks given by:
Yes Connor, if you put the key in a little bit say 10mm and use the edge of the key to squirt it against two or three times then it will trickle in to the barrel then while your key is still coated run it in and out of the barrel a few times to coat all pins and levers! Once you've done this do your door and tailgate barrels even if you usually use the key button to unlock the car!
Thanks given by:
(19-10-2015, 07:34 PM)Redordead89 Wrote: Yes Connor, if you put the key in a little bit say 10mm and use the edge of the key to squirt it against two or three times then it will trickle in to the barrel then while your key is still coated run it in and out of the barrel a few times to coat all pins and levers! Once you've done this do your door and tailgate barrels even if you usually use the key button to unlock the car!

Thanks a lot man, I will get some on the order Smile
Thanks given by:
The brand I use is Ambersil.
Thanks given by:
I used aerosol silicone lubricant and it hasn't happened since, cheers everyone
Thanks given by:
Awesome! Now go get some graphite lock lube and do it properly so it defo doesn't happen again,
I am a fan of silicone based spray lube btw but when it comes to door locks or barrels go graphite every time!
Thanks given by:
+1 for the Graphite - had a nightmare with my Passat before using it and now it slides in like a hot knife in butter
Thanks given by:
If anyone knows where to buy graphite from the info would be great
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
(15-11-2015, 09:29 AM)bashbarnard Wrote: If anyone knows where to buy graphite from the info would be great

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pack-of-3-AMBE...SwgQ9VgTu8 Rofl
Should always be carrying a 3 pack anyway lol!
Thanks given by: