Windows 10 & WiFi Help?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows 10 & WiFi Help?
Morning guys,

So first issue, since upgrading to Win10, the whole laptop is much laggier, particularly noticeable on startup and trying to open or surf the net. Windows 8.1 was pretty much instant for these tasks but its now taking minutes to load! Once the programmes have opened, the internet itself is quick enough, so its a pc issue.

I like the layout etc of Win10 so don't really want to go back but surely it should be much quicker than the previous version!? It'd be like Peugeot bringing out common rail on a 306 without upping the performance... Itwasntme But srsly, is there anything I can do to speed it up? I've tried CCleaner, Defraggler and scanned for viruses/adware/malware. No difference at all.

Second issue has only been happening since the upgrade, but not immediately after so may be a coincidence! Basically, the internet lags out or gets such reduced access it's unuseable. This seems to happen straight after startup, or after 'soft' start after a sleep, making me think it's a laptop issue. However, running the 'wireless fixer' thing doesn't always fix the issue, 4 times this weekend I've had to reset the router as well...which makes me think it's a router issue!? Wifi seems to work on the phone ok, but is always slow on there anyway. Once reset, internet is more than quick enough for me again (8mb upload) and usually will be until another start...

So anyone know what the issue(s) are? Or how to diagnose further?

Cheers
Tom
Thanks given by:
IF its not Broke don't Fix it Tongue

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
Very helpful cully, thanks. Tongue
Thanks given by:
Having same issues on my laptop going from 7 to 10.
Nicer layout compared to my pc on 8.1 but so much slower... Yet its supposed to be quicker.

Bit annoyed and its putting me off upgrading to 10 on the PC
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Hmm, maybe it just is slower then. Confused

I haven't upgraded the desktop yet either, never really use it tbh, only to back up the laptop, but it's 4 years old now and on Win7 so not sure I want to risk it getting even slower tbh.
Thanks given by:
Have you set the power settings to Best Performance? My laptop with i7 processor and SSD hard disk was laggy, but found power settings with the option for best performance (or words to that effect) and it's very fast now. Think by default it maximises battery life.
Thanks given by:
I haven't touched any power settings, will have to see if I can find them.

Battery life is exactly the same as it was before the upgrade though.
Thanks given by:
I think if you click Start and type 'power settings' it should bring up the settings you want. I'll take a look on my laptop when I get home tonight if not [emoji4]
Thanks given by:
Can only find the battery settings, how many minutes before 'sleep' etc, nothing to do with performance as far as I can tell. Probably not looking in the right area lol!
Thanks given by:
Errr well I'm not the biggest nerd by far but the way I understand it is that new OS's nearly always place more demands on your system, sounds like your pc is old and not so hot, I'm running Windows 7 and I'll be sticking thankyou very much lol
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Laptop is only 2 years old, 2.4ghz processor iirc.

Thing is win10 actually claims to be faster due to better efficiency, they wouldn't push people to upgrade free if they knew it would be worse...would think they'd make a point of pushing new pc's instead lol.
Thanks given by:
I don't feel pushed lol, well that's my 2p anyway, it'll be a first if an OS requires less spec in my book Smile

try this Big Grin
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Same thing happened on my dads laptop with the wifi.. Was a newer driver for the card
Thanks given by:
^ is correct you need a new driver for your wifi.
I'd also suggest you carefully read the EULA as Win 10 now uses your connection and PC resources to distribute MS updates to other users which you need to turn off in privacy settings.
You can't turn off updates but you can limit it.
Defender tends to use resources like a hungry troll as well.
Everything you type, speak or it can see through a camera is also being sent back to MS unless you have turned the functionality off which basically gives you win7 with a new start menu.
Thanks given by:
yeh i upgraded to 10 and then downgraded as my pc ground to a halt... also it will upgrade to 10 even if there arent drivers available for your device which renders it pretty much useless!
Thanks given by:
this is why I always hang one, with new operating system upgrades, I gave them at least 6 months to even a year or two, so that everything is ironed out properly. I am still on windows 8, never bothered upgrading to 8.1, as I didn't really see the point of it yet.
All I can say tom, is put your pc back down to what it was before, until windows 10 proves its self.
Thanks given by:
yeh always current-1 for a little white at least. Quadcopter updates come out fairly regularly and number of fly aways always increases as soon as theyre updated... at one point they were releasing emergency fixes and telling people not to fly.
Thanks given by:
Well I didn't have any issues upgrading to 8.1 as soon as it was out lol. Smile

How easy is it to downgrade back to 8.1 then?
Thanks given by:
Depends how long ago you upgraded to 10, the downgrade process is pretty simple supposedly though.
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Quite a while tbh, over a month I would've thought.

Also just checked wireless card driver, apparently it's up to date with no new ones available.

Don't have the option to 'rollback' under recovery so guess it was over a month then. Sad Looks like I'm f*cked then. lol
Thanks given by:
(28-09-2015, 03:20 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Well I didn't have any issues upgrading to 8.1 as soon as it was out lol. Smile

How easy is it to downgrade back to 8.1 then?

roll back your pc tom to the point before the upgrade, as that will undo the change.
you wont have as 8.1 was practically a service pack to windows 8, just like windows XP was to windows 2000.
Thanks given by:
Looks like MS don't allow you to do that after 30 days. Confused
Thanks given by:
If you have a recovery partition (you probably do) you can probably recover it to 8.1 but you'll lose all your shizz if you haven't got it backed up somewhere
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
How do I know if I have that?

I've got an external HDD I can back up to so that's not too much of an issue. Though losing cookies will be annoying as I can't remember half the passwords I have online... lol

Edit - On second thoughts, it'll take ages to back everything. Any idea how to make Win10 better lol? Would a 'reset' help?
Thanks given by:
(28-09-2015, 03:56 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Looks like MS don't allow you to do that after 30 days. Confused

it will tom, you have to select back to an earlier time, as the restore feature can go back nearly 6 months practically.
(28-09-2015, 04:43 PM)Toms306 Wrote: How do I know if I have that?  

I've got an external HDD I can back up to so that's not too much of an issue.  Though losing cookies will be annoying as I can't remember half the passwords I have online... lol

what some systems have tom, is a boot menu, you may have to restart the system, and keep pressing a button like F10 or F12, what you be looking for is the factory program thing, it will state anyway.
Thanks given by:
Nah it doesn't, MS have disabled it in Win10 to stop people downgrading after the 30 days.
Thanks given by:
(28-09-2015, 05:10 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Nah it doesn't, MS have disabled it in Win10 to stop people downgrading after the 30 days.

looks like its a full blown reinstall tom, google the laptop on what to do, before you do anything. Wrong that of MS to disable it, as how the hell are you supposed to fix things after 30 days! but another thing too, go into the control panel, and have a look where you would un install programs, and see if it gives you the option, just to uninstall it, as you can do that with service packs etc.
Thanks given by:
You can still restore after, but it removes any restore points before the start of windows 10 so you can only roll back to win10, quite clever really.

Problem is, Win8 didn't come on a disc so I can't even reinstall that in the way I know how. Confused
Thanks given by:
(28-09-2015, 06:11 PM)Toms306 Wrote: You can still restore after, but it removes any restore points before the start of windows 10 so you can only roll back to win10, quite clever really.  

Problem is, Win8 didn't come on a disc so I can't even reinstall that in the way I know how.  Confused

it will be on the laptop partition, that midnight was telling you about, there is a menu you have to go into at boot up, that has the option for recovery. google the laptop you have about recovery or going back to factory.
Thanks given by:
It sometimes installs generic drivers instead of the specific ones, go through and make sure the correct ones are installed for everything, it should be faster than 8.1 once you've turned some of the crap off refered to above, my little Toshiba (nothing fancy, AMD APU in it) boots to desktop from cold in 6-7 seconds with win10 on it, that's as fast or faster than most of the lightweight linux distro's I've got.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Acer e15 windows 8 laptop keeps losing Wifi Paul_13 8 2,438 21-12-2014, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Paul_13