206 GTI/180 Any Good?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
206 GTI/180 Any Good?
Looking for a review on either of the two?
Seem very nippy! (well a bit nippier than my HDI anyway)
Supposed to be alright on juice too?
Getting really cheap now so considering one.
Cheers
Thanks given by:
I loved my 180, so fun to drive.

Fairly juicy, my average was ~28mpg with a reasonably heavy right foot.

Good value for money, awesome interior too.

I paid £450 for an 03 plate with IIRC 58k on it.
Thanks given by:
I personally quite like them but they don't feel as good to drive as a gti6 imo, and remember that they're 180ps not bhp!

Comms unit can be problematic on these and you'll probably find a lot of them have been cat c or d as role seem to have a tendency to spin them and get quarter panel damage.

Not great on fuel but you should get about 34mpg on a run fm you're not too heavy footed.

A lot of car for the money though and they are fun
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Don't like them, seating position is way too high and i don't like the handling. That's personal opinion though, depends what you like i guess.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
As said, seating position is rather high. Although they are pretty damn comfy.
IMO felt a little soft in the corners, definatley benefit from some updated shocks and springs
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
If you can find one cheap enough then go for it, but if you're starting to look into the £1500 price range then you'll get a pretty tidy Clio 172 for that money.
Thanks given by:
Thanks lads!
Problem with the 172 is, most of them have been abused more than GTI180's IMO and the rear discs on the 172 come with wheel bearings so cost a fortune!
Thanks given by:
they so need a shorter final drive, gearing is so long on them.

there was an ecu update that many haven't had which I recall was part of the reason why many haven't made the power theyre meant to, though a chip/remap will sort that anyway Big Grin

the 138 is still a good engine, easy to release more power out of them, they do high 30's low 40's mpg.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
Does that not mean its a great motorway cruiser (for a petrol) sitting at low revs at 70/80? 
Ah sweet thanks for that info! 
Does the mpg differ that much for the 138/180?
Thanks given by:
There no case strong enough to choose a GTi180 over a clio 172.

If your worried about the cost of rear discs & bearings (Usually wear out at same time anyway!) then why are you looking at gti180's with failing rear axles which is a pig of a job and costs hundreds? lol
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
172 just doesnt do it for me compared to a GTI 180 Matt Smile
Yes rear axles are a pain, but ive already had to replace the axle on the 306 and that didnt cost too much, would just find a good GTI180 with no camber issues and hope it stayed that way aha
Thanks given by:
Fair enough bud Smile i was in that situation once. had 6k burning a hole in my pocket so went and test drove loads of hot hatches.

Out of the following:

Clio 172
206 GTi180
EP3 Civic type R
Mini Cooper S (supercharged)
Fiesta ST

I went for the 172 as it is simply the best out of that list for value for money. the mini comes close second.
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
Fair enough, the 172 was most likely in the best condition etc out of them all for 6k Smile
Cant imagine the civic  or mini  cooper being that good of an example for 6k back then.
Id go:

CTR
GTI180 
Clio 172 
Fiesta St
Cooper S

But thats just me Smile
Thanks given by:
Mini is awesome. Amber has one & they handle great, also the seating position is good as the seat base is low to the floor so it feels like you're in a go-kart.

Massively underrated.
Thanks given by:
Saw a 180 on the motorway the other evening actually, seemed to go alrite.

Rear discs on a 172 are only £89 for a pair of Brembos, if you find that kinda money too dear you probably shouldn't be looking to run a hot hatch in the first place.
Thanks given by:
Just bought a Cooper s r53 for my girlfirend its awesome Tongue I love driving it

Actually drove it to work today as she was off uni Tongue
Thanks given by:
(28-09-2015, 12:11 PM)Poodle Wrote: Don't like them, seating position is way too high and i don't like the handling. That's personal opinion though, depends what you like i guess.

anything smaller than a GS300 or Gwagon is gonna feel uncomfy for someone who is 8foot6 tall alex =D

ill second the mini handling, epic little cars, really really sorted and pokey too

be mindful that the earlier supercharged ones had some supercharger bearing issues.
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
Yeah, did see that but this is the later teflon coated one Tongue
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What car with good mpg would be good for gravel roads? Amandaholo 21 6,642 28-12-2012, 06:39 PM
Last Post: ash240970