tràck tyre choice?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
tràck tyre choice?
So im currently reburbing my new wheels and soon will need new tyres.
What does everybody run track wise?
888's seem the obvious choice but ive heard good things about the new duñlops etc.
Thoughts please.
Car only gets used for  ragging, shows and track.
Cheers
Thanks given by:
I have used A048's with great success....
They are not much use in the wet or on road unless you have a very soft compound, which then wears out very quick, also very pricey.

I am currently on AD08R's... And i am very impressed. Full set for £220, brilliant on the road, seem to wearing very little. Only been on track once with them so far, in the aftermath of rain, and i honestly believe the main reason I was dancing round everyone else on track was due to these tyres, so much confidence in the wet!

Not used 888 or RSR's... Both good reviews and chatter tho.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Ns2r seem to get quality reviews online and in person. Just be sure to her the r version and not just the ns2 (althoughntheyre not that bad )
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
AD08R better than R999 and cheaper, adamB's 306 left a federal equipped clio behind, so safe to say they're better than those too lol
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
(25-09-2015, 07:09 AM)Piggy Wrote: I have used A048's with great success....
They are not much use in the wet or on road unless you have a very soft compound, which then wears out very quick, also very pricey.

I am currently on AD08R's... And i am very impressed. Full set for £220, brilliant on the road, seem to wearing very little. Only been on track once with them so far, in the aftermath of rain, and i honestly believe the main reason I was dancing round everyone else on track was due to these tyres, so much confidence in the wet!

Not used 888 or RSR's... Both good reviews and chatter tho.

Got to ask where you found à whole set for £220?
Guessing you have tiny wheels
Thanks given by:
195/50/15

Camskill
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(30-09-2015, 08:40 PM)Piggy Wrote: 195/50/15

Camskill

Thought so, tall and skinny make them so much more affordable. After 205/45/16. Around 90 each sadly.
Thanks given by:
You'll find tiny sidewall tyres pretty bad for track use

I certainly wouldnt call 195/50 as skinny or tall.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
RSR's are shit, no way around it, Dunlop's are good, michelin are good as well if expensive, 888's are Yoko's are OK, the 48's from what my Evo mate said as like the RSR's, Shit but not tried them personally
Overall Road Going Production Class Winner at BARC Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb 2012, 2013 & 2014 With a class record along the way (For a while), Taking 2nd place will be Ian Redding's 306 GTi
2016 Castle Combe GT championship class winner
Thanks given by:
(30-09-2015, 10:38 PM)miles Wrote: RSR's are shit, no way around it, Dunlop's are good, michelin are good as well if expensive, 888's are Yoko's are OK, the 48's from what my Evo mate said as like the RSR's, Shit but not tried them personally
I've ran RS-R successfully for two years, and I've got a new set waiting to be mounted. So as you can imagine, I'm a satisfied customer.
They are absolutely not shit as you claim.
A048 / 888 / 888r are a bit better, but also about twice the cost.
Tinkerer of 306gti6 trackday racer, less stuff, more hard, more umpf, more stop.
Thanks given by:
Cheers all, going to get the yokos. Just need to save up a bit first.
Thanks given by:
Would defiantly recommend some thickness to the sidewall. last track session with tight corners i lost most of the pressure in the front passenger side and the sidewall rubbed off as the sidewall is too thin so it just folded over (205/40/17)
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
(02-10-2015, 06:20 AM)lolsteve Wrote: Would defiantly recommend some thickness to the sidewall. last track session with tight corners i lost most of the pressure in the front passenger side and the sidewall rubbed off as the sidewall is too thin so it just folded over (205/40/17)

Duely noted. cheers
Thanks given by:
Can also play with your pressures much more with a bit of sidewall
If you have tiny sidewalls you have to keep them nailed or as steve said, you'll end up on them!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
only if you have floppy sidewalls and lots of understeer.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
Having tried the RSR's with several other tyres under Race conditions I can 100% say they are rubbish, Lap time difference is huge, it's like saying Gaz are good shocks, lol
Overall Road Going Production Class Winner at BARC Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb 2012, 2013 & 2014 With a class record along the way (For a while), Taking 2nd place will be Ian Redding's 306 GTi
2016 Castle Combe GT championship class winner
Thanks given by:
If its 100 percent track then r888 are the best and obvious choice.

But if you use it in the summer on the roads and want to Sade abit of money then ao8r and ns2r are great

I can link some of my youtube laps of combe running them to grip is epic.
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
(03-10-2015, 07:14 PM)7057sam Wrote: If its 100 percent track then r888 are the best and obvious choice.

nope, yokos are better, if its 100% track then you would go ao48, but the ad08 seem to be better than toyo anyway.
Thanks given by:
(03-10-2015, 08:24 PM)welshpug Wrote:
(03-10-2015, 07:14 PM)7057sam Wrote: If its 100 percent track then r888 are the best and obvious choice.

nope, yokos are better, if its 100% track then you would go ao48, but the ad08 seem to be better than toyo anyway.

It's what I've found and I've used all three
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by:
Anyone used r888r?
Thanks given by:
Some of our customers have and like them. They've not preferred them over Cup2s though which are simply awesome
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by:
Cheers for Yokohama AD08R & Dunlop Z2 star spec (I'm Not sure in european zone have or not? )
1999 306 GTI-6 PT81 & Remapping
2000 406 SRI 2.0 Turbo 6M/T @ 1 Bar Boosted

[Image: 150521115952.jpg]

Thanks given by:
I've only used RSRs and Dunlop DZ03Gs and the Dunlops are significantly better. In racing they last much longer before going off and generally survive a lot more races.

That being said I'd recommend the RSRs as a starter or wet weather track tyre. If you've never driven on track before there isn't much point spending around £100 a tyre (depending on size etc.) as you'll kill them with shit lines and chronic understeer! Smile RSRs are decent in the wet, I still use them for that and there's so much grip.
Thanks given by:
(05-10-2015, 01:13 PM)DemonDriverDan Wrote: I've only used RSRs and Dunlop DZ03Gs and the Dunlops are significantly better. In racing they last much longer before going off and generally survive a lot more races.

That being said I'd recommend the RSRs as a starter or wet weather track tyre. If you've never driven on track before there isn't much point spending around £100 a tyre (depending on size etc.) as you'll kill them with shit lines and chronic understeer! Smile RSRs are decent in the wet, I still use them for that and there's so much grip.

Thanks for your input, i am on your advice now seriously looking at the rsr's. Seem really good value too. 
Hope they are good for winter track time.
cheers

Ordered 4 federal rsr's
205/50/16
Total £244
Come on the grip.
went for them due to good reviews in wet, great value and a taller sidewall than thought.
thanks for everyones input.
Thanks given by:
Keep an eye on them. They can crack badly through the tread pattern. Good otherwise
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by:
(05-10-2015, 09:24 PM)adam b Wrote: Keep an eye on them. They can crack badly through the tread pattern. Good otherwise

Will do. Cheers
Thanks given by:
They're not perfect, but they're not too bad. I wouldn't use them on the race car or as the main set on a track car but to start off I'd definitely recommend them. They're cheap as anything so if you go out on your first trackday with a horrendously setup car and bad lines and end up killing the tyres it's not too bad! Smile
Thanks given by:
(05-10-2015, 10:38 PM)DemonDriverDan Wrote: They're not perfect, but they're not too bad. I wouldn't use them on the race car or as the main set on a track car but to start off I'd definitely recommend them. They're cheap as anything so if you go out on your first trackday with a horrendously setup car and bad lines and end up killing the tyres it's not too bad! Smile

All of what you have said is exactly to plan. Cheers
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Power steering fluid choice stalker92 2 2,558 17-01-2019, 03:53 PM
Last Post: stalker92