Any Sparks among us?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any Sparks among us?
Ok,
I'm asking because I want to make up 2 mains rated multi-cores for disco lights.
I've 2 stands on which I want to mount up to 5 light units, approx. 10-15M away from a central point. So I guess I'm needing 5 Lives, 1 Neutral, & 1 Earth. To be controlled from a switch-box placed on my Decks rack.
Q, where can I get supplies at a reasonable price? Huh
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
More info on the lights?

I use a few wholesalers for work and funnily enough, the cheapest place i can get cable (unless buying in bulk) is Screwfix!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
I'd recommend looking about and finding some used Socapex cables, that's what it's designed for... Socapex is 6-way, you need one neutral for one live, otherwise you'll melt the neutral if you pull more than about 2.5a per channel...

Get the correct stuff to begin with, I used to work in the events industry... I've seen too much of this kinda stuff end in the sheathing melting off of cables..
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Thanks Niall,
do you think they have the requisite multi? (trying to browse ebay)
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
I highly doubt they will have the stuff that Ruan is on about (id take his word for it seeing as it used to be his job) However its something that the likes of CEF or Edmonsons could source easily for a decent price or at least they could source and acceptable equivalent. All i will say is don't expect it to be cheap!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(25-08-2015, 07:43 PM)Ruan Wrote: I'd recommend looking about and finding some used Socapex cables, that's what it's designed for... Socapex is 6-way, you need one neutral for one live, otherwise you'll melt the neutral if you pull more than about 2.5a per channel...

Get the correct stuff to begin with, I used to work in the events industry... I've seen too much of this kinda stuff end in the sheathing melting off of cables..

there are a mix of Prosound type and 2' UV's per stand. It's going to be a case of Multi, or wireless remotes, which can be a faff setting up.
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
Do you have to have multicore? Why not use good 1.5mm lighting grade flex and tape them together, shockingly, it might still cost you less... Although:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/socapex-power-...2a554d4d10

Get the ends also, you'll be right. £60 for 2x15m of 18 core cable that will do 12 channels @ 15A is cheap as hell.

Please make sure you use the full 3 per channel - Socapex is 18 core, so have the ability to run 6 runs of 15a, all with individual L,N,E cores.

Make sure whatever you do end up buying is high-temperature silicone (Soca is) so that if it accidentally drapes on a par64 during a show, it doesn't melt and short out the can... Good earthing will protect against anything dangerous, but there'll be a pop and it'll all go rather quiet!!
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
thank you both guys :thumbs:
any suggestions on making a control box? (ie, 1 switch for each cct?) Toggles or rockers?
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by: