UK Fun rally/ road trip is it worth it

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UK Fun rally/ road trip is it worth it
Hi all,
Ive been looking for a while and can't seem to find a UK only fun rally/road trip
So I'm thinking of organising one and would like some help or ideas as to wether it's worth pursing.
My idea was a two day event with challenges along the way people can raise money for their chosen charity or just join in for fun.

Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated 

Many thanks
Adam
Thanks given by:
I was going to the Brighton to benidorme thing this year but friends putted out shame as we had the ideal car.

Would nt mind doing something like that next year
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
(18-08-2015, 12:57 PM)7057sam Wrote: I was going to the Brighton to benidorme thing this year but friends putted out shame as we had the ideal car.

Would nt mind doing something like that next year

My idea would be a rally / run around the UK. me and a few mates had the idea as we wanted do one but not abroad as there are family/work commitments so a weekend one would be more appropriate for us.
Thanks given by:
Would Scotland be too far? Epic roads and scenery everywhere north of Glasgow and some nice finishing spots worthy of pulling the cameras out for!
Route wise you could include a few of the suggestions on my "recommended roads 306ish" thread.
Thanks given by:
(18-08-2015, 01:08 PM)LRedordead89 Wrote: Would Scotland be too far? Epic roads and scenery everywhere north of Glasgow and some nice finishing spots worthy of pulling the cameras out for!

Lands end to John o'groats is an idea ?
663 miles road trip
Thanks given by:
I'll travel down and join the convoy from the border if you do it, from the border you could head up over the lead hills in the borders and into Ayrshire for twisty flat stuff stop off in Glasgow for dins and hit the west coast to the highlands and beyond! :-)))
Thanks given by:
(18-08-2015, 01:53 PM)Redordead89 Wrote: I'll travel down and join the convoy from the border if you do it, from the border you could head up over the lead hills in the borders and into Ayrshire for twisty flat stuff stop off in Glasgow for dins and hit the west coast to the highlands and beyond! :-)))
That would be good looking around it's going to take some planning and working out I think it would agood 12 month away yet.
Thanks given by:
(18-08-2015, 01:10 PM)Adam-m-h Wrote:
(18-08-2015, 01:08 PM)LRedordead89 Wrote: Would Scotland be too far? Epic roads and scenery everywhere north of Glasgow and some nice finishing spots worthy of pulling the cameras out for!

663 miles road trip
Don't forget there's 600 miles to go back again but I'd do Scotland in a heartbeat though and definitely want to go do the road to Applecross!
Thanks given by:
(18-08-2015, 01:08 PM)Redordead89 Wrote: Would Scotland be too far? Epic roads and scenery everywhere north of Glasgow and some nice finishing spots worthy of pulling the cameras out for!
Route wise you could include a few of the suggestions on my "recommended roads 306ish" thread.

You love Scotland don't you?! Every post regarding a meet or driving you mention Scotland lol.

I have family near Edinburgh, it's lovely but there are roads just as good without driving 6000 miles first Wink
Thanks given by:
(18-08-2015, 02:26 PM)JJ0063 Wrote:
(18-08-2015, 01:08 PM)Redordead89 Wrote: Would Scotland be too far? Epic roads and scenery everywhere north of Glasgow and some nice finishing spots worthy of pulling the cameras out for!

You love Scotland don't you?! Every post regarding a meet or driving you mention Scotland lol.

I have family near Edinburgh, it's lovely but there are roads just as good without driving 6000 miles first Wink
Yes JJ I do Heart Scotland just as I'm sure you love England too but it is Scotland not Nova Scotia so it's only about 600 miles lol! Rofl And the east coast side of Scotland is almost as flat as lower England! Now where's the fun in that Huh
Thanks given by:
The idea is for a road trip/ fun rally. a weekend of fun and meet new people not just a drive from A-B
Thanks given by:
(18-08-2015, 02:30 PM)Adam-m-h Wrote: The idea is for a road trip/ fun rally. a weekend of fun and meet new people not just a drive from A-B

Sounds good to me!
Thanks given by:
(18-08-2015, 02:37 PM)Redordead89 Wrote:
(18-08-2015, 02:30 PM)Adam-m-h Wrote: The idea is for a road trip/ fun rally. a weekend of fun and meet new people not just a drive from A-B

Sounds good to me!

If I can get a few people to think of challengers todo on route and start and end location places to stay I think this could work.
Thanks given by:
Budget? Nice hotel or loch side with a tent?
How about England on day one and Scotland on day 2 with a stay in the borders (party on a beach) overlooking the Irish sea and the isle of Mann? Then north the next morning! Nominated drivers might be required lol
Thanks given by:
(18-08-2015, 04:30 PM)Redordead89 Wrote: Budget? Nice hotel or loch side with a tent?

I was thinking Around £150 for a car of two depending on locations and accommodation and I was thinking start Friday night bit of a pep talk campover bit of a bbq or something to get to know each other then sat drivin/ challengers then camp again a good natter n some food same again Sunday but with a prize giving end party sort of thing.
If there's enough people the cost would cover prize money 1/2/3 place best car/crew award medals/ trophies and camping fees, bbq/food fees, and stickers for event
Thanks given by:
Road to Applecross is brilliant.

If you fancy going further http://www.northcoast500.com/home.aspx
Thanks given by:
Me and one of my mates have been thinking of a road trip. Thats why I was asking about stuff that would need checking before a long drive.

Basically from where I am in the midlands we would be driving down to Lands end on the Friday, Stop overnight and sleep in really late. Then leave from lands end at around 5pm and try and make it to john o groats at sun rise for 5:30 in the morning 837 miles later Big Grin haha
Thanks given by:
(18-08-2015, 08:23 PM)MisterGTR Wrote: Road to Applecross is brilliant.

If you fancy going further http://www.northcoast500.com/home.aspx

That looks fun it could be a great trip but it's along way if people are in Essex or Cornwall

Now some one has suggested not bothering trying to organise one they say you need to notify the police,local councils does any one now if this is true or can we just run a treasure hunt style event over 2 days. my mate suggested doing a rally with http://www.purerally.co.uk but looking it's all expensive cars.

(18-08-2015, 08:26 PM)OJTaylor2005 Wrote: Me and one of my mates have been thinking of a road trip. Thats why I was asking about stuff that would need checking before a long drive.

Basically from where I am in the midlands we would be driving down to Lands end on the Friday, Stop overnight and sleep in really late. Then leave from lands end at around 5pm and try and make it to john o groats at sun rise for 5:30 in the morning 837 miles later Big Grin haha

That's one mad dash you'd need to average 70mph all the way to do 837 miles in 12 hours 
I'd check the you'd got a stash of red bull 
But check oil water tyres especially the spare and a basic tool kit
Thanks given by:
Cant see you making an average 70 and still having your licence for the trip back if I'm honest,
And although I won't have it for much longer my 306 is a 19 yo 1587 TU with only 58 n a half thou and i was para driving it home to Glasgow from Sussex at 70 just in case! so enuff said on that front!
Defo go for it in an Hdi or xud but I wouldn't pick up that challenge in a petrol 306 unless it's really really good with a big engine, xudlingos trip to FCS FFS, unfortunate but it happens :-(
Without an Hdi, bring more tools with an Hdi bring less!
Sad facts but near 1000 miles in 12 hours would kill a lot of newer cars never mind a 15 + yo pug so I'd be out of an all out race Soz!

Where's @Dumdum when you need him? He's done most of the route enough times to tell you how much fuel traffic bad spots etc at a pace and at a race I'd imagine!?!
Thanks given by:
Id be up for a Scotland tour up to John O Groats via applecross pass/highlands etc.
1000 miles isn't much for a car if its checked over beforehand and is in good condition! Done 500 miles in a day, then 300 the next day a few months ago in my 306, performed very well and not one bit of bother!
Thanks given by:
(18-08-2015, 10:25 PM)MY95 Wrote: Id be up for a Scotland tour up to John O Groats via applecross pass/highlands etc.
1000 miles isn't much for a car if its checked over beforehand and is in good condition! Done 500 miles in a day, then 300 the next day a few months ago in my 306, performed very well and not one bit of bother!

Me too but was thinking if the boys doing the trip left for lands end on the Thursday night and set off Friday afternoon chasing the sun north and maybe catching sunset and then the northern lights on the Saturday night at John o'groats and party til dawn it could be safe for theirs and anyone else joining ins licences/ safety
Soz for downer reply boys but a wee bit worried fatigue and traffic fks it up for you's!
Thanks given by:
Im only in Newcastle mate so its straight up over the borders to Edinburgh for me, or across to Carlisle and up the motorway to Glasgow! The benefits of living in the north have eventually came clear lol
Thanks given by:
Yeh maybe leave a bit earlier then Tongue haha. The maths hadn't been done lol. Didn't even think about the northern light but that would be brilliant as well haha Big Grin

Probably would be worth getting my mate some temporary insurance and switching drivers half way through
Thanks given by:
(19-08-2015, 05:44 AM)JTaylor2005 Wrote: Yeh maybe leave a bit earlier then Tongue haha. The maths hadn't been done lol. Didn't even think about the northern light but that would be brilliant as well haha Big Grin

Probably would be worth getting my mate some temporary insurance and switching drivers half way through
Aye man!
Thanks given by:
(19-08-2015, 05:44 AM)OJTaylor2005 Wrote: Yeh maybe leave a bit earlier then Tongue haha. The maths hadn't been done lol. Didn't even think about the northern light but that would be brilliant as well haha Big Grin

Have a look for HIC insurance there supposed to be could for road trip /rally insurance
Thanks given by:

663 miles road trip

874 miles actually

The problem is any trip you do that's more than a day realistically has to be LE to JoG if it's in the UK. Loads of people will say they want to come but you'll struggle to get people together to actually do it as the cost of the fuel on the trip plus driving to the start and driving home from the finish and suddenly you talking about 2000 miles which even at 50mpg is £220 plus hotels plus the cost of challenges. You can't realistically do it for much less than £500 and people know they can do the ring or the south of france for that (if they are in the south east)
Thanks given by:
(19-08-2015, 11:55 AM)SDum-Dum Wrote:

663 miles road trip

874 miles actually

The problem is any trip you do that's more than a day realistically has to be LE to JoG if it's in the UK. Loads of people will say they want to come but you'll struggle to get people together to actually do it as the cost of the fuel on the trip plus driving to the start and driving home from the finish and suddenly you talking about 2000 miles which even at 50mpg is £220 plus hotels plus the cost of challenges. You can't realistically do it for much less than £500 and people know they can do the ring or the south of france for that (if they are in the south east)

That's a fair point when it's put like that it seems a daft idea
Thanks given by:
Not a daft idea at all just takes a bit of planning and consideration for all involved!
I say you and your mate go for something close to your original plan but just do it over a cheap long weekend with many many cracking pics, vids and tales to tell the kids later!
You can def hook up with me n my mates when your passing through for a deep fried Mars bar supper and a wee drive in to the hills if you fancy!
Don't listen to the doubters ( me included ) and just get on and do it otherwise you risk missing that special day you talk about for many years to come!

As for challenges, 1st to finish winner gets breakfast in bed on the beach and a bottle of nice Malt from one of the distilleries on the route and a free pass on driving home and obvs bragging rights too!
Thanks given by:
(19-08-2015, 10:02 PM)Redordead89 Wrote: I say you and your mate go for something close to your original plan but just do it over a cheap long weekend with many many cracking pics, vids and tales to tell the kids later!

Yeah this, maybe if you take 2 cars you can do challenges like closest to factory mpg or highest percentage above factory mpg. Find a dyno and see who has lost most horses, swing past santa pod and do some runs, fastest reaction time wins. find a beach and think up some beach related challenges. Do a scavenger hunt along the way.
Thanks given by:
(19-08-2015, 11:55 AM)Dum Wrote: he problem is any trip you do that's more than a day realistically has to be LE to JoG if it's in the UK. Loads of people will say they want to come but you'll struggle to get people together to actually do it as the cost of the fuel on the trip plus driving to the start and driving home from the finish and suddenly you talking about 2000 miles which even at 50mpg is £220 plus hotels plus the cost of challenges. You can't realistically do it for much less than £500 and people know they can do the ring or the south of france for that (if they are in the south east)

I will ad to this

Just remember if you have breakdown cover in the uk you and the car WILL get home on a UK road trip with a 15 year old car

doing a euro road trip and breaking down with a 15 year old car you will get home but the car wont as the recovery people wont pay out as it is uneconomic to recover the car oh but they will still take your premium from you

also you have to be very carefull what you call the trip as RACE or Rally time trile will invalid your road insurance

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by: Adam-m-h

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Funball Rally Orta 0 1,245 13-07-2018, 10:43 AM
Last Post: Orta
  Scottish Malts Rally maxaret 3 1,328 27-04-2016, 08:55 PM
Last Post: maxaret
  Welsh Rally GB! PugRory 5 2,292 27-11-2015, 10:05 AM
Last Post: PugRory