Long drive checks?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Long drive checks?
Hi everyone,

Planning a massive drive in my car soon. Will be very long distance, upwards of 1400 miles.

What sort of stuff would you reckon should be checked before this?

I know like the obvious stuff

Oil, Water, Tyre pressures, washer fluid

I have done a full service as well recently so that's all covered. Urm so yeah having a HDI is there anything car specific that I should know is in good condition before I head off?

Thanks Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Condition of the spare?
Thanks given by:
I do an annual jaunt around Europe,
Just clocked up 1000 miles since we left England on the 10th

I take the wheels off and check the brake parts
Ensure all the lights are ok
Ac works

And most importantly sort some form of break down cover
Thanks given by:
Yeah im getting the breakdown cover sorted tomorrow haha Smile Brakes look okay I have been painting them today and have had the back ones done recently Smile

Cheers
Thanks given by:
Exhaust hangers/ rubbers, aux belt, and mind take 2 spare h7 bulbs a hammer a socket set a few spanners a 7mm Allan key just in case and a decent jack and strong bar! Lol
Thanks given by:
Nice one Smile I hadn't thought of the aux belt but it has been done recently so should be fine Smile bulbs and spanners are good ideas although how much I could actually fix at the side of the road would be another thing haha. Could do a bit of bodging on some things though.

Thanks
Thanks given by:
do it roadkill style, do all the checks 30 mins after you meant to set off but hadn't, fix any issues after that, miss a load of them, buy a jack and tools after 300 miles because your tyre went down and you hadn't brought any with you, that and #weightsaving , do all that with 3 windows missing... in winter, a dog in the back seat, and a bottle of oil stabiliser and fireworks just incase...
Project: Formula Peugeot
Thanks given by:
my rear pad fell out the other month, dodgy calliper clip, check those are tight and that's about it Smile

was 200 miles from home, so not too bad to limp back on, but wouldn't ant to do 1000 miles on it!
Thanks given by:
(17-08-2015, 09:10 PM)John1.4 Wrote: do it roadkill style, do all the checks 30 mins after you meant to set off but hadn't, fix any issues after that, miss a load of them, buy a jack and tools after 300 miles because your tyre went down and you hadn't brought any with you, that and #weightsaving , do all that with 3 windows missing... in winter, a dog in the back seat, and a bottle of oil stabiliser and fireworks just incase...

Haha sounds like a fun trip lol.

(17-08-2015, 09:10 PM)tigerstyle Wrote: my rear pad fell out the other month, dodgy calliper clip, check those are tight and that's about it Smile

was 200 miles from home, so not too bad to limp back on, but wouldn't ant to do 1000 miles on it!

Another thing I would have never thought about. Will check them when I finish painting the rest of my callipers Smile
Thanks given by:
I lost a rear pad from my Hdi last year after having a calliper looked at and the spring clip wasn't refitted so just worked loose as I was leaving the motorway, shat a brick I did!
And push come to shove you can bodge a lot at the side of the road with minimal tools so long as you have them with you! Better to have and not need that need and not have!
I always have a metal coat hanger in the boot, a couple meters of rope and a gallon of water on a long haul and a bottle of rad weld just incase!

(17-08-2015, 09:10 PM)tigerstyle Wrote: my rear pad fell out the other month, dodgy calliper clip, check those are tight and that's about it Smile

7mm Allan key should be in your box from the first day you buy a 306 so make sure you have one with you!
If you're having the callipers off then it makes sense to go get a front and rear pad fitting kit for about a tenner and renew them while your in there anyway!

Probs won't be needed on your trip but a worthwhile purchase is a little tube of QUICKSTEEL for about a fiver from most motor factors, incredible 2 part resin putty stuff that you mix with your thumb and fingers until it starts getting hot then apply a lump to whatever needs sealed or joined and an hour later it's hard as steel and can be drilled and tapped and even can be applied under water and will litteraly join any two materials if needed! Go get some tmoz!
Thanks given by:
Whats the 7mm do?
Thanks given by:
Allan bolts behind the callipers ( callipers off without taking the carriers off and it's the one size that doesn't come with a set of Allan keys!
Thanks given by:
Staying in the UK or going abroad?

Make sure you've all the shizzle you need if going to Europe. Lots of sneaky shit rules like having to carry High Viz jackets for everyone in the car BUT being able to put them on before getting out of the car. Etc.
Cherry Red Rallye - Full on OEM resto.....
Thanks given by:
I'd make sure I go for a poo before I leave the house.
Thanks given by:
Be careful with breakdown cover and do your research properly if you're going abroad - a lot of what's offered will only recover you to the nearest garage in whatever country you're in at the time and sometimes not even that. A lot of people say ADAC is the one to have, haven't used them myself.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Another one for the belts. Spring action day the ZS shredded a belt although it was only a couple of thousand miles old
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
(17-08-2015, 11:51 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: I'd make sure I go for a poo before I leave the house.

Yeah mate I always leave shit at home when I go away lol
Thanks given by:
Check the breakdown covers your age of car.

I went topcashback and AA for that reason.
Thanks given by:
I always keep a 1/4 drive socket set in the car which has Allen keys,torx bits etc... Saved my bacon many times. Take a few bottles of water and all of the above stuff.
Thanks given by:
Shouldn't really need to make extra checks, whether you're doing short journeys or long ones you should regularly be making checks anyway.

However, on the subject of stuff to take - I always keep an 'emergency pack' in the car now, yeah it's not exactly MPG friendly but I'd rather have the piece of mind it's there. Consists of -

Spare wheel and wheel tools (no shitty tyre weld for me, not gonna do much for a 6" gash or blowout!)
200pc Halfords toolkit
3 multi-tools (never know when one might break lol!)
Tape and cable ties
Gloves (not fun to get covered in shit changing a wheel or refitting a boost pipe and covering the interior with it)
OBD2 scanner (would take the laptop and ELM for any longer journeys)
Microfibre Cloths
Plasters for when I inevitably cause myself an injury
Phone charger in case you breakdown with no battery to call for help
Hi vis jacket (though I've managed to lose this somehow...seriously! lol )

Also for me I take a pack of bottled water, pack of bog roll, antibac wipes, Purell gel and immodium...just in case... lol
Thanks given by:
(18-08-2015, 08:50 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Shouldn't really need to make extra checks, whether you're doing short journeys or long ones you should regularly be making checks anyway.

However, on the subject of stuff to take - I always keep an 'emergency pack' in the car now, yeah it's not exactly MPG friendly but I'd rather have the piece of mind it's there.  Consists of -

Spare wheel and wheel tools (no shitty tyre weld for me, not gonna do much for a 6" gash or blowout!)
200pc Halfords toolkit
Tape and cable ties
Gloves (not fun to get covered in shit changing a wheel or refitting a boost pipe and covering the interior with it)
Microfibre Cloths

Also for me I take a pack of bottled water, pack of bog roll, antibac wipes, Purell gel and immodium...just in case... lol

Jesus christ, and to think you don't travel more than ~1hr from your house!

I'm lucky if I've got my RAC card & my wallet.

Saying that my Halfords tool kit does live under the flexifloor in the boot.
Thanks given by:
Thats super organised. Kick tyres. Check oil and water. Set off with some tools in. Job done. Saying this though i regually have my car on a ramp so i know its ok.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
(18-08-2015, 08:52 AM)JJ0063 Wrote:
(18-08-2015, 08:50 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Shouldn't really need to make extra checks, whether you're doing short journeys or long ones you should regularly be making checks anyway.

However, on the subject of stuff to take - I always keep an 'emergency pack' in the car now, yeah it's not exactly MPG friendly but I'd rather have the piece of mind it's there.  Consists of -

200pc Halfords toolkit
Tape and cable ties
Microfibre Cloths

Jesus christ, and to think you don't travel more than ~1hr from your house!

I'm lucky if I've got my RAC card & my wallet.

Saying that my Halfords tool kit does live under the flexifloor in the boot.

It doesn't matter how far you drive though... If you drive literally to the shop at the end of the road and back I guess it doesn't matter. But for any actual driving you could break down anywhere - would you rather sit and wait 3 hours for the RAC when you could've fixed something yourself in 5 minutes? Saw several cars over heat on Sunday as I was crawling in traffic in 1st for an hour 5-10 mins from my house and one with what I assume was a puncture/blowout...I could've easily been one of them. Though what I did odd was a few people pulled over topping up with oil while the rad was blowing steam...not entirely sure of the point of that! lol

Also, a lot of that 'kit' was added for the drive to Ace back in March...but now I can't drive without it anywhere...stupid OCD! Rolleyes lol

Oh and on the subject of wallet, I always make sure I've got a small amount of cash in mine at any time to pay for fuel in case my card breaks. lol
Thanks given by:
(18-08-2015, 09:05 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh and on the subject of wallet, I always make sure I've got a small amount of cash in mine at any time to pay for fuel in case my card breaks. lol

So this!

I don't abide by it, I never have cash, hate having to deal with it, but I can recommend keeping a bit on you, got caught out on the A30 once at about 3am, thinking "loads of fuel stations" - yes there is, but any that accept cash when the bloody chip has fallen out of your card?! No chance - so be very wary if this happens to you!

Had to get my mum to drive to me at 4am as I'd been on the red light for 50 miles looking for a fuel station that would accept cash, they're all shitty self service - bleeding disaster that was!
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
I've been driving without breakdown cover for years #yolo
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
(18-08-2015, 12:12 PM)RetroPug Wrote: I've been driving without breakdown cover for years #yolo

Snap. Figure if i have to pay for recovery now its still money saved from not paying for cover for so long.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks given by:
You've probably just jynxed it... Confused

My cover costs around 50 a year and have used it twice on 306s (headgasket popped rad hose and rear brake shoe fell off and siezed drum solid)..not had to use it on anything since but the Focus is bound to need it at some point. Confused
Thanks given by:
(18-08-2015, 12:12 PM)RetroPug Wrote: I've been driving without breakdown cover for years #yolo

I can only assume this also means you've never needed it? In which case, can i suggest you're doing french cars wrong. lol
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I generally do nothing,hope for the best.Worst case ring Rac up forget I took out my spare becauseracecar lol

Get them to tow me home Smile

Was like this for years then I had 6 breakdowns in 1 year over 2 cars
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
Lol. Brake down cover is for the sane and sensible. Its not like i do 1000 mile trips regually. Oh wait. I do. Shit.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Street warnings and CRB checks? rtha6551 17 5,547 09-12-2014, 04:39 AM
Last Post: Paul_13
  Pre-Winter checks...are you ready? Piggy 26 5,769 29-11-2014, 07:27 PM
Last Post: Dum-Dum
  pre-track checks guide?? Piggy 55 5,958 19-07-2014, 01:34 PM
Last Post: cully