Gutted :( and what to buy next....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gutted :( and what to buy next....
As some of you have probably seen on Facebook, I was rear ended in my coupe driving to work on Tuesday morning.  Woman in a micra somehow failed to see me indicate and brake which resulted in her going straight into the back of me at about 50mph Sad

Pissed off is an understatement after spending 2 weeks of early mornings before work putting in a solid flywheel conversion, new clutch, loads of service stuff and suspension + brake refresh to see it all taken away by one mong not paying attention on a busy main road. 

Doesn't look too bad in pictures as the bumper popped back out but underneath the car is all bent and about 2 inches shorter in the boot floor with creases running along the quarter panels.   Total loss write off :Sad

[Image: 20150813_075412_zpszz8sf2xh.jpg]

So yeah, pretty shit situation at the start of my first week at the new job, currently driving a Nissan quasqhi thing rental car lol 

This leaves me another problem, what the hell do I get next lmao

I'll be buying the coupe back from the insurance company as it's got so many brand new parts id be stupid to let them scrap it, so I could buy another hdi coupe and transfer all my good bits.  Very time consuming and frustrating that I have to do the same job twice. 

Or, get something completely different as a daily commuter...  

It'll have to be diesel with my 40+ mile commute daily but just can't decide what. 

Thoughts so far:

Renault sport megane dci175

407 v6 hdi coupe 

Alfa romeo jtd of some sort 

Another 406 coupe 

Vauxhall astra g888

Something along those lines, any other suggestions?
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Id get a 406 coupe again. You clearly loved it. Exact same thing happened to me in my sedan. Mega pissed about it. So i sourced a £200 estate with a dead engine and swapped all the bits. That way i got a new car and money in the bank. Not the easiest way of doing it by far but imo the way to go.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
(14-08-2015, 05:29 PM)bashbarnard Wrote: Id get a 406 coupe again. You clearly loved it. Exact same thing happened to me in my sedan. Mega pissed about it. So i sourced a £200 estate with a dead engine and swapped all the bits. That way i got a new car and money in the bank. Not the easiest way of doing it by far but imo the way to go.

The main problem with that is finding an hdi coupe that isn't a complete nail and getting it sorted before I have to give the hire car back if it does need any work.   I have been thinking of something a bit newer for a while in an attempt to lower costs, but like you say, I did love that car
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
oh ffs, I've been waiting ever so patiently for you to decide to sell this - not get it written off :/

genuinely gutted for you, nothing more annoying than pouring a ton of effort into something to get it wiped out in a second

your back ok? seems to be the thing to go in a day or two after being rear ended at that sort of force
Thanks given by:
Saw this on Fb, such a shame after the effort you put in!

Personally I'd go for something different this time, but I get easily bored lol.
Thanks given by:
Yeah so gutting man.

I'm with the others. Find a good shell and transfer all the running gear and lump/box.

And take some time off work if you can, make sure you get rest for your back.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
My lower back is pretty sore, started when I sat down after work Wednesday and could barely stand up again. Going to the doctors tomorrow morning 
I'm pretty impressed with how the coupe took the hit  looks really good compared to the micra that hit me, that thing was squashed! 

I would really like another but it's just finding one in the right timescale as they're pretty rare :/

I do fancy something different though  I've had nothing but Peugeots for the past 5 years so ideal opportunity to get something newer and different that'll give me more funds for the rallye restoration etc
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Drop the motor in something 90's and jap.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Absolutely gutting..

Have a look at an alfa156 jtd.. 2.4 10v Wink 5 cylinder grumble.. 60mpg on a run and fairly reliable (mines on 192k and going strong)
Thanks given by:
Alfa 159 JTD sportwagon. Winmobile.
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
Thanks given by:
Dizzy bitch in Micra, possibly the unworthiest car and said dizzy bitch driver to get written off by:-(
Wouldn't you go cheap 306 in the mean time? So many Hdi's out there for a few sheckles and you could project it or scrap/break it once you have another coup sorted!
Hope your good btw!
I'm 39 and been in and around the motor parts trade most of my days and would love to try owning an Alfa but too often they go wrong and it's always been that way since the days of the alfasud that litteraly rusted away in front of your eyes!
Especially up here with the salt on the roads and shite weather but my only recent experience was driving a 3 year old Brera coup trade car with almost nothing on the dash working except warning signs but still started and pulled a smile!
To my reckoning most modern cars are pretty soulless ride on USB ports nevermind rolling the dice on an Alfa.
Pretty sure I don't need to say why we're all on 306oc but to be sure they're pretty fkn bombproof with niggles!!!!
Thanks given by:
Use the money to fix the 106 rallye and drive the 6 daily.
Thanks given by:
(14-08-2015, 11:36 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Use the money to fix the 106 rallye and drive the 6 daily.

Do that! :-) smiles per mile huuuuge
Thanks given by:
Id buy another 406 coupe and break this one for spares.
Thanks given by:
Im with the others, another coupe. If this is out of the question, then perhaps a saloon? Don't see my enthusiast owned ones.

Saw this on facebook, sucks Sad
Resident cat lover 
Thanks given by:
I was thinking about the bad reputation alfa have but I've always kind of fancied one and everyone has to own one once right? lmao all depends on what sort of payout I get for my car on what I get next really, would love to find a cherry red coupe though

(14-08-2015, 11:36 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Use the money to fix the 106 rallye and drive the 6 daily.

I was using the 6 daily whilst the coupe was off the road and hated it, put 400 miles on it in 2 weeks and that was just normal runaround trips and commuting :/ couldn't afford it now I drive even further to work Sad
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Shit man

Just after you'd spend all that time and money sorting it
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
Saw this on facebook, very unfortunate given the time, effort and money that you've poured into this.

Buy something very cheap and shite like a 106 1.1 for a few weeks, and search around for the right 406 to swap all the bits over, or even the right other car to swap the 406's engine into?

Or get a Fiesta Zetec S diesel. Wink
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
This sucks big time balls mate. But I had a heart in mouth moment when I read the thread title thinking it'd be the '6 gone so I suppose this is the lesser of two evils.

Avoid the fiat 1.9, so the Alfa, and Astra. It's nothing but trouble, although the 888 is mental fast (test drove one when I had the big power fabia vrs and it felt quicker).

407 coupe is lush and if u can put up with an auto u can plump for the 2.7 v6 hdi!!
CLUB RALLYE
||AVO Race GTX Coilovers||Signature Blue Steels||P1 VTS Rack||Hybrid ARB||21mm Torsion Bar||rich_w Flywheel||
Thanks given by:
I wouldn't pay the extra for 888 tax, get a decent XP sporthatch & there's a couple of awesome mappers on the Vaux forums who have seen mid 200's without much work, I miss my Vectra loads.
Thanks given by:
Sorry to read this. Horrible to have all your hard work taken away. But consider yourself lucky she didn't hit you head on....that happened to my mates uncle recently. We're guessing she was not paying attention (stereotype would say texting)

I'd agree with Luke. Get something like he's got for a DD while you hunt down a good 406 to put your bits into.

Best of.
Thanks given by:
(15-08-2015, 08:04 AM)ozonehostile Wrote: I was thinking about the bad reputation alfa have but I've always kind of fancied one and everyone has to own one once right? lmao  all depends on what sort of payout I get for my car on what I get next really, would love to find a cherry red coupe though

I was using the 6 daily whilst the coupe was off the road and hated it, put 400 miles on it in 2 weeks and that was just normal runaround trips and commuting :/ couldn't afford it now I drive even further to work Sad

Yeah hate driving mine daily makes i feel less special and just "a car"
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
(14-08-2015, 07:25 PM)Seb_Ryan Wrote: Absolutely gutting..

Have a look at an alfa156 jtd.. 2.4 10v Wink 5 cylinder grumble.. 60mpg on a run and fairly reliable (mines on 192k and going strong)

At least recommend the decent version 

The 20 valve

Or look at Saab 93 diesel 

Just cruised down to the south of France in mine, aircon on, loaded up for a week and with on board and still averaged 62mpg
Thanks given by:
(15-08-2015, 03:24 PM)RetroPug Wrote: Saw this on facebook, very unfortunate given the time, effort and money that you've poured into this.

Buy something very cheap and shite like a 106 1.1 for a few weeks, and search around for the right 406 to swap all the bits over, or even the right other car to swap the 406's engine into?

Matt very kindly offered me a £150 clio with a few months mot he's got at work that I'm very tempted by to use until I decide what to do, got a Nissan hire car at the moment but not sure how long for. There's a couple of really nice coupes around at the moment but they're at the top end of the price range that I can't afford yet until I've been offered a payout for mine Sad

(15-08-2015, 04:27 PM)Orta Wrote: This sucks big time balls mate. But I had a heart in mouth moment when I read the thread title thinking it'd be the '6 gone so I suppose this is the lesser of two evils.

Avoid the fiat 1.9, so the Alfa, and Astra. It's nothing but trouble, although the 888 is mental fast (test drove one when I had the big power fabia vrs and it felt quicker).

407 coupe is lush and if u can put up with an auto u can plump for the 2.7 v6 hdi!!

I think I would've cried if the 6 was written off by a mong in a micra, so yeah in that sense I'm glad it was my daily haha 

I really ought to test drive a 407 coupe and see how I get on with the auto box, guess I could deal with it if it's not slow and dim witted like Peugeot autos of old

(15-08-2015, 04:29 PM)JJ0063 Wrote: I wouldn't pay the extra for 888 tax, get a decent XP sporthatch & there's a couple of awesome mappers on the Vaux forums who have seen mid 200's without much work, I miss my Vectra loads.

My mate has an sxi sport thingy with the 1.9cdti and with the map it's running it's unbelievable how it shifts  it's the car that got me thinking about a g888 as it's just a nicer spec and better looking still with that awesome tuning potential. But it's just finding one and for the right price

(15-08-2015, 06:33 PM)swampy Wrote:
(14-08-2015, 07:25 PM)Seb_Ryan Wrote: Absolutely gutting..

At least recommend the decent version 

The 20 valve

Or look at Saab 93 diesel 

Just cruised down to the south of France in mine, aircon on, loaded up for a week and with on board and still averaged 62mpg
 It was your alfa that made me think of one swampy, also there's a 159 jtd around here that gives a stage 1 306 hdi a pretty good run for its money, similar size just a bit different from the usual Smile
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vie...ID=EBAY-GB

More rare than an 888 & 10 mins from me Smile
Thanks given by:
Sorry to hear this mate, another vote here for another 406 coupe, 407s are awful by comparison imo.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(15-08-2015, 10:02 PM)JJ0063 Wrote: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vie...ID=EBAY-GB

Ooo that's pretty nice, will certainly be on my list of considerations

(15-08-2015, 10:02 PM)JJ0063 Wrote: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vie...ID=EBAY-GB

Ooo that's pretty nice, will certainly be on my list of considerations
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
(15-08-2015, 04:30 PM)MisterGTR Wrote: Sorry to read this. Horrible to have all your hard work taken away. But consider yourself lucky she didn't hit you head on....that happened to my mates uncle recently. We're guessing she was not paying attention (stereotype would say texting)

I'd agree with Luke. Get something like he's got for a DD while you hunt down a good 406 to put your bits into.

Best of.

Funnily enough, that's exactly how my old gti6 got written off.
The lady's satnav told her to turn right, she looked at the screen to check that it was the correct street, and while still looking at her nav she turned across my lane of traffic, no indicating, no warning. I was just driving along and suddenly I was hitting someone.

(15-08-2015, 07:24 PM)ozonehostile Wrote:
(15-08-2015, 03:24 PM)RetroPug Wrote: Saw this on facebook, very unfortunate given the time, effort and money that you've poured into this.

Matt very kindly offered me a £150 clio with a few months mot he's got at work that I'm very tempted by to use until I decide what to do, got a Nissan hire car at the moment but not sure how long for. There's a couple of really nice coupes around at the moment but they're at the top end of the price range that I can't afford yet until I've been offered a payout for mine Sad

That sounds ideal!

Yeah, I'd say it's all too much to decide in a rush and it's a decision that's been unexpectedly forced on you. Drive the clio about for a bit, do your new work commute and see how it treats you and what the drive is like, get the 406 back and strip bits off, and then you can decide whether to get another and put the bits back on, whether to sell them for cash for a different car, or whether to maybe put the engine in a 306.

The payout, plus selling lots of nice bits would probably get you a decent other car, or a ratty 406 would benefit from all the bits and be a good car.

It is a real shame though, your 406 was gorgeous, especially in that colour.

Do consider a fiesta zetec s tdci, mine's absolutely great. They've got a lot of modding potential as well, not that I've played with mine at all yet.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Depends what has been done to the 159

We did look at them when we replaced the 156 but found the drop in fuel consumption to be far more than we wanted for what was to all intense and purposes the same engine we had just in a bigger car and with a bit more bhp

Started looking around at similair cars and came across the 93 more by accident

180bhp
50mpg around town
60mpg plus on a run

And a fantastic driving experiance
Thanks given by:
Well, after hours of phone calls and hours spent browsing cars tonight I'm off to go look at a 306 hdi dturbo lmao

Just can't keep away from them. Looking at going self employed next year so will serve as daily driver until I need a van Smile good 'ol Peugeot haha
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gutted! Toms306 9 1,936 04-05-2014, 09:44 AM
Last Post: Toms306
  Gutted I spent my money! Ben 5 1,470 17-06-2013, 05:16 PM
Last Post: Ben
  Gutted :( spike2002 26 7,035 18-04-2013, 05:28 PM
Last Post: ozonehostile