Moving a map onto a new ECU?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moving a map onto a new ECU?
Hi Guys,

I have decided my next project will be to replace the 3 large capacitors that are in the ECU that control the pulsing of the injectors. Being from an electrical based job I know that with age capacitors wear and can really loose huge amounts of both capacitance and also the ability to handle the correct voltage, let alone keep it stable. Some even pop open and completely break apart.

I know the ones in my ECU probably aren't at that stage but just for a challenge and to see what it may do I want to take the ECU apart and replace the capacitors with new ones from a good company such as Panasonic, Nichicon, Rubycon etc.

My plan is basically to buy another ECU like mine. I believe that there are two types? One with a single plug on it and one with 3?
Once I have the new ECU what I want to do is take the map from mine, flash it onto the new one so I have two identical ECU's (In case I screw mine up) and then replace the caps in my one and put it back into the car.

What sort of software and connections will I need to be able to load and unload the maps to and from the ECU's?

Thanks for any help Smile

Jack
Thanks given by:
Cant really help with the map side of things but you will need an unlocked ECU. Just fitting another one, even identical means the car won't start.
Also, ECUs are an incredibly had wearing device. Ive never heard of anyone have a HDI ecu fail on them. In fact the only ones I've heard to fail are the Sagem 1.8 ones which were prone to just stopping working.
If you're just doing it as a "f*ck it, why not" project then fair play but if you have worries about yours failing, i honestly wouldn't worry.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
wont work as the immo locking code is not stored in the map software it is flashed into a different chip

there is also more than two types of ecu fitted to the HDI
you need to look at the lable on the tin Wink

163. 306 2.0HDI90 HW 0281010163 SW 1037359088
362. 306 2.0HDI90 HW 0281010362 SW 1037353148
592. 306 2.0HDI90 HW 0281010592 SW 1037353483
976. 306 2.0HDI90 HW 0281001976 SW 1037359058

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
Ahhh nuts. So getting one unlocked would require some sort of mapping of a different type?

And yeah pretty much. Just fancy messing with the electrical side of things. It's not so much that it's failed its more the question of whether they are waving towards being outside of tolerance. Capacitors age really badly. For example some caps in computer power supplys can be writen off within 5 years and that's with steady voltage and drain.

If what I have read about these injection systems is correct then these caps are 16 years old and have been firing and charging 20a 100v pulses thousands of times a minute haha.
Thanks given by:
I'll be watching this with interest if you go ahead and replace them.
Thanks given by:
(02-08-2015, 09:27 AM)JTaylor2005 Wrote: If what I have read about these injection systems is correct then these caps are 16 years old and have been firing and charging 20a 100v pulses thousands of times a minute haha.

..and yet mine and thousands of other HDis all still work completely fine? 
..mine and hundreds ad thousands of other similarly aged ECU based cars?

Interesting project, but not required.
Thanks given by:
I just like messing with things. Just because something is drifting out of tolerance doesn't mean it will be highly noticeable you never know.
Thanks given by:
I think a few people are missing the point. The experiment is to see if he can stop the loud pre-ignition rattle noise as this from what I have seen affects most HDIs, nothing to do with the car not working properly.
Thanks given by:
(04-08-2015, 05:26 PM)td163 Wrote: I think a few people are missing the point. The experiment is to see if he can stop the loud pre-ignition rattle noise as this from what I have seen affects most HDIs, nothing to do with the car not working properly.

It's  a fun project, I look forward to hearing more about it, I don't think it's focussed on injector rattle?
Thanks given by:
Knowing jtaylor i think it is, he's developing a bit of an obsession lol. Interesting project all the same, will be looking out for updates.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Haha its a bit of everything really. I have seen first hand what effect capacitor aging can have on things like computers, amplifiers and industrial power supplies etc and they are often kept in a more favourable environment than the ones kept in the ecu of these cars.

ProSteve is also interested in seeing if it has any effect but we are stumped atm due to it being costly to unlock an ECU so I can have a spare with the same map on if it goes wrong :/

I am not even sure what I'm expecting tbf I just like to mess with stuff and learn things
However if it's gonna cost me loads for most likely not a lot of gain I can't see it getting the go-ahead unfortunately.
Thanks given by:
soft unlock one yourself and cut the immo link pins Wink
then play with that

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
Learn to unlock ECUs whilst you're at it.

The single plugs you can de-immo by flashing a modified file to the 95p08 on the back side of the PCB - just need a chip programmer to do so.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(04-08-2015, 05:16 PM)JTaylor2005 Wrote: I just like messing with things. Just because something is drifting out of tolerance doesn't mean it will be highly noticeable you never know.

If it ain't broke, f*ck with it until it is... Wink lol
Thanks given by:
That's my Motto! Tongue haha
Thanks given by: