Project (3) 306 boat. time to make it float :-)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Project (3) 306 boat. time to make it float :-)
Ok so had an old shell laying around and being so close to the water as I am thought I would try and make it float have all ready got a lower unit from a boat engine for under the shell and an old lawnmower engine Itwasntme so need to seal up all the small hole and gaps have striped a lot out of the car to lev it as light as possible so hear goes nuffing lol pic be up in a min just hope they aren't up side down  Rofl

Thanks given by:
Haha this is a great idea

Can't wait to see it stink or sail Big Grin
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by: Damo
This is brilliant. Will it float?
Thanks given by:
You should get a will it float or will it sink bit going brainiac style. Lol.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Thanks lads hopefully it float lol only time will tell :-)
Thanks given by:
You have too much time Paddy. Tongue
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
jesus.... Hope you dont plan on moving anywhere with a lawnmower engine and that engine housing. Have you got a prop for it?

I think you may need more sealant as well...
Thanks given by:
(30-07-2015, 08:29 AM)Eeyore Wrote: jesus.... Hope you dont plan on moving anywhere with a lawnmower engine and that engine housing. Have you got a prop for it?

I think you may need more sealant as well...

Sill need to get a prop but the fella I got the lower unit off said he has one to suit this so should be Ok as for the lawnmower engine will try it first and if everything works Ok then I will buy something bigger lol 

Done a bit more work last night so will get photos of that later 

And the thing don't have that much free time lol just  wanted aanother thing to do :-)
Thanks given by:
You are absolutely nuts but I love it. It's like your own Scrapheap challenge lol.
Thanks given by:
Bonkers Paddy, love it lol. Cant you just cut a big hole in the floor, add an engine and big fan, bit of a skirt and hovercraft it? That'd be cool Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Thanks jj and paul lol should be interesting :-) probably a lot of wet feet before I get it right lol Rofl
Thanks given by:
306s aren't all that watertight on land, I get the feeling you're gonna get wet even if it does float. lol
Thanks given by:
Got a bit more done to night to lighten up the boat/car lol was to dark to take pics  bt will get sum to mara  :-)  mine while found this  Dodgy

Thanks given by:
Pmsl this should be funny, how are you going to keep her upright?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
2 strapped buoys either side? topgear challenge transit van thing ftw!
Thanks given by:
She's a bit ripe paddy.

expanding foam....lots of it Wink

following with keen interest though.
Thanks given by:
(31-07-2015, 06:58 AM)Poodle Wrote: Pmsl this should be funny, how are you going to keep her upright?

Hopeing floats In the  right places will keep her balanced we will just have to see need to try and get it sum way water tight first  Itwasntme

(31-07-2015, 08:29 AM)mr_fish Wrote: She's a bit ripe paddy.

expanding foam....lots of it Wink

following with keen interest though.

Thanks fish and lwilliams lol should be interesting
Thanks given by:
jesus that has to be the worst rust ive ever seen in the rear arch! good luck!
Thanks given by:
I suspect you'll need some ballast a way underneath, else she'll be pretty unstable. What's the plan to get it watertight, seam weld and seal all the way up to the window line..?
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Ballast won't help much here unless you're going out in big waves. Primary stability will be high, it's flat bottomed so will be very hard to flip over on flat water. The concern is the lack of secondary stability. Lean it far enough on a wave or by loading one side too much, and it'll suddenly lose the battle and roll over. It'll likely need a lot of angle to do that though, maybe 40* or so of lean.

I'd be cutting the roof off in case it sinks though, watching with interest!
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Yes Jonny, and putting a bit of ballast a little way under the vehicle would solve that problem, that's the whole idea. If it's a little way from the floor it's effect will be greater the more it tips, leverage yo.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(02-08-2015, 02:22 PM)Poodle Wrote: Yes Jonny, and putting a bit of ballast a little way under the vehicle would solve that problem, that's the whole idea.

Not as much as you'd think. It's already got the primary stability from being flat bottomed. The way around it would be to fabricate some sort of hull with the ballast in the bottom, effectively making it into a displacement hull and meaning lots of work. Yes, ballast in the bottom would give the feeling of more stability but it would also be slower to recover from large roll angles, making it easier to capsize in waves. Look at small flat bottomed power boats, they carry almost no ballast for that exact reason.

Thanks given by:
Yeah, but that's inside the hull, i'm talking about putting it a little way under the vehicle, ie about 50cm down or so, like a centre board with a lump on the end. I'm sure there's probably a proper boaty term for it, but i've no idea what it might be.

You'll just have to trust me on it, worked beautifully on our raft.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Yeah it'll feel more stable if you do that. But if you're gonna be playing with real waves there's a lot more to consider. I'm probably over complicating this a bit TBH, it'll either sink or float. Stability can be discussed if it floats lol

Thanks given by:
Well it's different lol what if it sinks though? how will you get it back out? or is it a case of get in the truck and leave quickly
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
(02-08-2015, 03:48 PM)lolsteve Wrote: Well it's different lol what if it sinks though? how will you get it back out? or is it a case of get in the truck and leave quickly

I think he lives on a farm with a lake? Just drag it out with a tractor lol.
Thanks given by:
All very  good point here I'm not 100% on Wat I'm going to do underneath but was thinking of some sort of big ballast lol was all so thinking about how stable it will be but with the flat floor should be ok I hope wouldn't be taken it out it bad weather any way. so if it does sink it will be staying there:-)   thanks for all the comments
Thanks given by:
Just saw this thread hahaha this is brilliant. Any progress ?
Thanks given by:
Haven't done mutch yet waiting for sum sort of descent weather ta get going on it again . keeping my eyes open for a cheap engine to put in it  hopefully get it ready for this summer :-)
Thanks given by:
Haha this looks crazy!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  cully's New boat! cully 33 7,054 30-08-2016, 09:25 PM
Last Post: Eeyore