Australia Q and A

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Australia Q and A
Feel free to ask me anything you would like to know about life in Australia. Whether you want to move here or just general interest and I'll try and help you out.
Thanks given by:
Have you ever worked on a fruit/veg picking farm?
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
Did you ever meet Steve Irwin?
Thanks given by:
Whats it like down under? Ive never been.

How often do you meet Marty and Moog?
Thanks given by:
(23-07-2015, 03:14 PM)silverzx Wrote: Have you ever worked on a fruit/veg picking farm?

I haven't personally but I've known many that have.

I'll never forget my mate coming home after a massive day picking mangoes with his face covered in sores. Basically do not let mango sap get into contact with your skin.

A lot of farms will give you a wage and some will give you accommodation and food in exchange for your services.

Its definitely a good way to meet people on the same journey as you (backpackers), as not many locals do it. Very seasonal for work (obviously).
Thanks given by:
How many deaths (on average) a year happen due to shark attacks?
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
(23-07-2015, 03:15 PM)Iceman299 Wrote: Did you ever meet Steve Irwin?

I saw him doing a crocodile show at his park. Loved the guy and what he stood for.
Thanks given by:
How many times a day on average do you say 'mate'?

Do you ever just wait for a mate?
Thanks given by:
(23-07-2015, 03:18 PM)Eeyore Wrote: Whats it like down under? Ive never been.

How often do you meet Marty and Moog?

Well to me its the best place in the world. A lot of amazing national parks near where I live and bunch of friendly, helpful people.

I'm yet to meet them except in my dreams.

(23-07-2015, 03:24 PM)silverzx Wrote: How many deaths (on average) a year happen due to shark attacks?

In the news in the last year I can recall maybe 5 incidences. There have been some massive protests trying to stop shark culling. Great whites are probably the scariest things on the planet and you won't catch me anywhere near the things.
Thanks given by:
What do you have planned this arvo? Watching Neighbours or Home and Away?
Thanks given by:
Apparently you dont say "put another shrimp on the barbie" is this true?
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
(23-07-2015, 03:26 PM)JJ0063 Wrote: How many times a day on average do you say 'mate'?

I don't use many Australian colloquialisms truthfully, I just threw that mate in for fun. Haha, my cousin looks just like that guy and we always throw a lot of banter about it when we're out drinking.

(23-07-2015, 03:38 PM)Iceman299 Wrote: What do you have planned this arvo? Watching Neighbours or Home and Away?

Its 2am haha. Im taking my sister to the airport tomorrow morning for splendour in the grass (look it up, awesome festival) and then having a look at a motorbike and hopefully getting it.

Response to your other statment.
Snakes in toilets, in your car, anywhere really. Snakes in my highschool, snakes at university, snakes hanging from trees when your walking along the footpath... spiders the same. I've got a few wasp nests growing around my house at the moment. They form part of the security.

(23-07-2015, 03:40 PM)bashbarnard Wrote: Apparently you dont say "put another shrimp on the barbie" is this true?

Yeah shrimp has never been an Australian word as far as I'm aware. Prawns on the barbie is most accurate. Mmmm prawns.

damn this post stacking I need my post count!
Thanks given by:
Do your Australian teens want to move the the UK as much as our teens want to move to Australia?
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
(23-07-2015, 03:52 PM)ginge191 Wrote: Do your Australian teens want to move the the UK as much as our teens want to move to Australia?

Its hard to say. I know that doing a contiki tour through Europe is pretty desirable to most young Australians. One long pub crawl. I'm in my mid 20's now and my friends that are living overseas are probably 50/50 Canada and UK.
Thanks given by:
Is the Ozzy life really what it's cracked up to be? A few people at my work have left and moved over, picking bananas all day.

I see TV programs where couples have packed up and moved to Australia or NZ for this amazing new life, guaranteed jobs and less debt.

Always wondered if the grass is actually greener over there. What are the negatives of coming to live there? It can't be as good as it's made out to be, surely?
Thanks given by:
Only way i'd go to Australia is with this guy

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
(23-07-2015, 04:01 PM)JJ0063 Wrote: Is the Ozzy life really what it's cracked up to be? A few people at my work have left and moved over, picking bananas all day.

I see TV programs where couples have packed up and moved to Australia or NZ for this amazing new life, guaranteed jobs and less debt.

Always wondered if the grass is actually greener over there. What are the negatives of coming to live there? It can't be as good as it's made out to be, surely?

I've probably eaten some of those bananas. They are mostly grown just north from where I live. Were $1 a kilo the other day.

Where I live there is actually no work for me at the moment which is a bit f*cked. But my city also has one of the higher rates of unemployment. In a capital city there's much more opportunity. You really need to have a trade or degree to go somewhere.

Its a bit late so my brain is goo, so I can't say to much. One major thing I know Brits enjoy is the weather here. Its sunny probably 320 days in the year. Everything costs more here.

I'll give you some better info tomorrow.
Thanks given by:
(23-07-2015, 04:19 PM)ozpug Wrote:
(23-07-2015, 04:01 PM)JJ0063 Wrote: Is the Ozzy life really what it's cracked up to be? A few people at my work have left and moved over, picking bananas all day.

I've probably eaten some of those bananas. They are mostly grown just north from where I live. Were $1 a kilo the other day.

Where I live there is actually no work for me at the moment which is a bit f*cked. But my city also has one of the higher rates of unemployment. In a capital city there's much more opportunity. You really need to have a trade or degree to go somewhere.

Its a bit late so my brain is goo, so I can't say to much. One major thing I know Brits enjoy is the weather here. Its sunny probably 320 days in the year. Everything costs more here.

Nice.

Just asked about & apparently they live(d) in Cairns then Walkamin. Not sure if they came back or what.
Thanks given by:
(23-07-2015, 04:26 PM)JJ0063 Wrote: Nice.

Just asked about & apparently they live(d) in Cairns then Walkamin. Not sure if they came back or what.

Cairns is a couple of hours north from me and is the tourist capital of Queensland, a lot to do. Walkamin is on the tablelands which is where I like to go for short holidays. Nice cool weather with great produce and scenery.

There was a mountain bike world cup in Cairns earlier this year (late last year?) and another one next year. A lot of tracks on the great dividing range.
Thanks given by:
Do you have some sort of immunity to suffering from head rushes bearing in mind you're upside down all the time?
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
can you import a tanker of e85 fuel for me please? let me know a price.
90' 205 gti6 supercharged
05' Evo 9 IX GT

Team eaton.

Axle rebuilds please contact me for your needs.

https://www.facebook.com/axlesbystef/
Thanks given by:
(23-07-2015, 04:45 PM)Niall Wrote: Do you have some sort of immunity to suffering from head rushes bearing in mind you're upside down all the time?

I just do a headstand before I go to bed and when I wake up. Seems to balance things out.
Thanks given by:
(23-07-2015, 04:50 PM)Stef205 Wrote: can you import a tanker of e85 fuel for me please? let me know a price.

2nd that. My mate is always struggling to get some.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Have you ever been Walk-about?
[Image: 9fa12c59-0c3d-4413-968d-6a7840ff068f.jpg]
Stage 1 HDi DTurbo Diablo 5dr, "Dee-Dee"
Thanks given by:
(23-07-2015, 04:50 PM)Stef205 Wrote: can you import a tanker of e85 fuel for me please? let me know a price.

Tuners love that stuff here. Can get it from the pump at some service stations. I'll need a deposit before I make some calls lol

There's an ethanol distillery beginning construction soon not far from me.

(23-07-2015, 04:56 PM)highwayman306 Wrote: Have you ever been Walk-about?

I have actually. I like to follow creeks up mountains to see what I can find. And a bit of mountain biking.

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Mountain_biking
Thanks given by:
(23-07-2015, 03:26 PM)JJ0063 Wrote: How many times a day on average do you say 'mate'?

FPMSL Ive just seen the vid Big Grin Rofl

(23-07-2015, 04:58 PM)ozpug Wrote:

Tuners love that stuff here. Can get it from the pump at some service stations. I'll need a deposit before I make some calls  lol

There's an ethanol distillery beginning construction soon not far from me.

(23-07-2015, 04:56 PM)highwayman306 Wrote: Have you ever been Walk-about?

I have actually. I like to follow creeks up mountains to see what I can find. And a bit of mountain biking.

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Mountain_biking

Cool, I wouldn't mind exploring the terrain...its just the creepy crawlies that scare me Sad I'm not afraid of spiders here in pom-land but elsewhere... Confused
[Image: 9fa12c59-0c3d-4413-968d-6a7840ff068f.jpg]
Stage 1 HDi DTurbo Diablo 5dr, "Dee-Dee"
Thanks given by:
(23-07-2015, 05:19 PM)highwayman306 Wrote: Cool, I wouldn't mind exploring the terrain...its just the creepy crawlies that scare me Sad I'm not afraid of spiders here in pom-land but elsewhere... Confused

I've copped a spider web to the face on more than one occasion. Golden Orb spiders love to set up at face height on trails... My approach is to sort of brush across my face/hair with my hand and then try to flick what I've gathered in one motion. If that motion fails I proceed to roll on the ground violently flailing my limbs about. At least with golden orbs you can see them from a distance as they are quite large. Smaller spiders tend to fall on you from time to time but if your calm you can coax them onto a stick and they'll go on their merry way.
Thanks given by:
(23-07-2015, 05:48 PM)ozpug Wrote:
(23-07-2015, 05:19 PM)highwayman306 Wrote: Cool, I wouldn't mind exploring the terrain...its just the creepy crawlies that scare me Sad I'm not afraid of spiders here in pom-land but elsewhere... Confused

I've copped a spider web to the face on more than one occasion. Golden Orb spiders love to set up at face height on trails... My approach is to sort of brush across my face/hair with my hand and then try to flick what I've gathered in one motion. If that motion fails I proceed to roll on the ground violently flailing my limbs about. At least with golden orbs you can see them from a distance as they are quite large. Smaller spiders tend to fall on you from time to time but if your calm you can coax them onto a stick and they'll go on their merry way.
Would love to see the place but scary venomous spiders scare me right off the idea!
Thanks given by:
Do Australians actually drink Fosters?

What's it like to live in the worlds oldest prison colony?
Thanks given by:
Have you met Gary the goat?

Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  gti6 Australia Dave 16 2,177 24-09-2014, 10:45 AM
Last Post: THE_Liam
  Posting to australia lolsteve 3 1,379 04-06-2013, 02:03 PM
Last Post: lolsteve