306 Restoration?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
306 Restoration?
Anyone ever attempted a fully blown resto? Oem or aftermarket parts?
How'd it turn out?
Yes I know bad timing here for replies with pugfest etc but all's went eerily quiet so???

Worn interior+ exterior panel dings + mechanicals! Either or all???
Where did you get the parts???
Photos??
Thanks given by:
Check bens project thread mate he's going very well
Thanks given by:
(12-07-2015, 05:35 AM)Lwilliams Wrote: Check bens project thread mate he's going very well
What's his user name or can u stick a reply on the thread to bring it up top please?
Thanks given by:
It's this one here and it's a good read http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=29575
Thanks given by:
yeh a few have been done and there are more on gti6owners.
Thanks given by:
Cheers lads! Been trying to get a read through it all day and still on page 1 (kids)
Thanks given by:
It's a good read mate
Thanks given by:
(13-07-2015, 08:00 AM)Lwilliams Wrote: It's a good read mate
Yeah mate a cracking read and I'm sure I'll read it a few more times! It inspired me to go out and spend about 2 or 3 hours on the car last night!
I finished up just after it got dark and just in time to see and hear a neighbour'ish kangaroo his 8 plate mingdeo tdci in to the car park and promptly exit car into house and declare to his missus in the sqeakiest Glaswegian accent you ever heard "whits he dain cleaning that piece of shite????" a fan of the "Glasgow blues" I'm guessing!!!
The mad part of doing a fully blown Oem resto is you spend so much time and money for the love of that particular model that you will quite likely never have the heart( madness ) to do another one quite so well!
In my case an old 89 Honda CR250, I spent 2 and a half years over it and was out £6500 - £7000 and eventually had to sell her on for £3500!
I did do alright when I took it to my first ever show right enough which helped a lot when explaining to her indoors that I was never going to get my money back!
https://www.bikepics.com/members/Redordead/89cr250/
Thanks given by:
Nice bike mate the crome is like a mirror...

Yeah anyone knows when then end up spending money on a bike/car are never going to get it back tends to be around half the price you've paid/spent on it.

I love it though
Thanks given by:
Hello

Thanks guys. Got a thread on detailing world too...

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/sh...p?t=354265

Its good fun doing a full on resto. Need more money than I've spare at the moment so progress at times can be slow. Finding some of the parts too gets a little tricky at times, certainly the Rallye specific stuff.
Cherry Red Rallye - Full on OEM resto.....
Thanks given by:
(13-07-2015, 02:48 PM)Lwilliams Wrote: Nice bike mate the crome is like a mirror...

Yeah anyone knows when then end up spending money on a bike/car are never going to get it back tends to be around half the price you've paid/spent on it.

I love it though

Cheers bud! P.s. there's no chrome on the bike at all! Just polished alloy! Mostly by hand! :-)))
Thanks given by:
Love your work Ben!

Hat off to you it looks fantastic!
(13-07-2015, 03:18 PM)Ben_w Wrote: Hello

Thanks guys. Got a thread on detailing world too...

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/sh...p?t=354265

Its good fun doing a full on resto. Need more money than I've spare at the moment so progress at times can be slow. Finding some of the parts too gets a little tricky at times, certainly the Rallye specific stuff.
We just had our 5th kid so a full resto is on the back burner for a couple of years but watch this space cos I got the bug bad during my bike build and now looking forward to starting doing a 306 at some point in the nearish future!
I haven't even started with your detailing world thread yet as I might end up getting carried away! ;-)
Thanks given by:
Thanks fella.

The detailing world thread gets updated as the one here does. Fair bit more on the detailing world one in terms of chassis stripping and the early stuff. Didn't get on here until a while after I'd started.

I'm getting a bit carried away with mine. Could get far more carried away.....finances prevent that though... Probs going to be another year/18 months before its done. It will be getting a full repsray hopefully.....
Cherry Red Rallye - Full on OEM resto.....
Thanks given by:
(13-07-2015, 10:46 PM)Ben_w Wrote: Thanks fella.

The detailing world thread gets updated as the one here does. Fair bit more on the detailing world one in terms of chassis stripping and the early stuff. Didn't get on here until a while after I'd started.

I'm getting a bit carried away with mine. Could get far more carried away.....finances prevent that though... Probs going to be another year/18 months before its done. It will be getting a full repsray hopefully.....

Huge respect for going for it on a budget and it's one of those take it as it comes as parts come up and go through the roof on ebay. Do I don't I +pp shit it's getting ridiculous import duty too? Oh for Fk SK man twice a week ain't good for stress and tiptoeing round her spending is a bitch cos all we want is a valve and 3 washers, 2 bolts and a new service kit!!!
I stopped giving out expected finish dates and just told everypne it will be done when im happy with it! Take  all the time you need and make sure you enjoy it!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Meguiars Winter Paint Restoration Kit DeeTurbo 11 2,034 10-12-2013, 05:11 PM
Last Post: padge
  my first attempt at chrome restoration. pugjohn306 17 4,519 12-07-2013, 07:01 PM
Last Post: swampy