To strip or not to strip, that is the question....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To strip or not to strip, that is the question....
Question 
So the time has come to decide if I stick with the original plan of making a shiny neat car or go a little more speed conscious. So do I remove all the rear seats, carpet etc and lose a few pounds. Keep the front carpets, head lining and door cards. Then get some buckets and a new stearing wheel. Or keep all as is. Stock if you like. I assume losing a little weight will still be noticeable? Certainly a difference when I put a fat man in the car as a passenger. 

Opinions please.....
Thanks given by:
Not sure about the misleading thread title. lol

On topic, is this gonna be a daily driver? If so you might want to retain at least SOME of the sound deadening. Wink
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Either do it properly or don't do it at all
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by:
(20-06-2015, 08:17 PM)adam b Wrote: Either do it properly or don't do it at all

this.

losing just the seats and some carpet wont be a huge difference tbh. 

See my thread and playlist on youtube where i have GONE TO TOWN stripping mine. Inside and out. Only lost about 150-160kg.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:

Kinda feel you're right. Think i will leave it for now, replace the seats and wheel for sure tbough

(20-06-2015, 08:11 PM)WiNgNuTz Wrote: Not sure about the misleading thread title. lol

On topic, is this gonna be a daily driver? If so you might want to retain at least SOME of the sound deadening. Wink

Kinda had to use a title like this. What else would i use.
Thanks given by:
If it's not a daily I'd say go for it!
Stripped my gti6 out and noticed the difference, still loads of Wight to lose yet though.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
You are better off losing weight from rotating and unsprung mass first
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by:
So today, I have made the decision and begun the long job of stripping the old girl out.
so far on the rear. Seats out, door cards, belts carpet etc. Tomorrow the laborious job of the sound deadening. Fingers crossed a heat gun will be all I need.
Thanks given by:
You can make a lot of money but you have to work nights so there are pros and cons really.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
I'm seriously debating it too, I've already got 1 sparco bucket seat that's just in storage, I'm either going to get a reclining one for the passenger and keep rear seats or get another sparco and lose the rear seats, opinions?
Thanks given by:
(28-06-2015, 02:49 PM)connorp Wrote: I'm seriously debating it too, I've already got 1 sparco bucket seather's just in storage, I'm either going to get a reclining one for the passenger and keep rear seats or get another sparco and lose the rear seats, opinions?

So I just went out for a drive after stripping the majority of the rear of the car. Defo feels lighter on cornering. Way louder but loving it. amazing hearing the difference in exhaust noise now theres no sound deddening.
Now to order a pair of fixed back seats and a wheel.
do it. I dare you.......

(28-06-2015, 09:34 AM)RetroPug Wrote: You can make a lot of money but you have to work nights so there are pros and cons really.

Lol
Thanks given by:
Not much weight in the rear...
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by:
Personally it's a daily I would nt bother not worth the hassle/ball ache/drawing police attention etc.

Yeah you save weight but it's not always the best thing and don't think you get crazy extra power on track either me,cully and pebbles all have full interior and destroyed most thinks on track at fcs this year including Somone on here who has stripped extensively lol
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
losing rear seats and sound insulation off the floor does make a difference and makes it a lot louder inside the car, a lot colder and chicks hate it but I must say when I stripped glass air bags speakers seats locks air con unit etc out my Ibiza boy it made a difference! but I went mad and the car like driving a rat rod an I drove like a maniac

losing weigh will always result in better acceleration and less under steer but remember the more weight you lose the higher the car gets so unless you got adjustable coils..... trust me it goes a lot higher on 306 too I took a few things off my pug and added a few and the car is now very high
Thanks given by:
Yeah f*ck it I'm going to strip it!!
Thanks given by:
(29-06-2015, 02:53 PM)connorp Wrote: Yeah f*ck it I'm going to strip it!!

Hows the strip out coming mate?
Thanks given by:
(04-07-2015, 09:02 PM)impotentials Wrote:
(29-06-2015, 02:53 PM)connorp Wrote: Yeah f*ck it I'm going to strip it!!

Hows the strip out coming mate?
I love driving my stripped out gti6!
Pull off is great and you really can notice the difference, I still have a lot more weight to get rid of though.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
I haven't started it yet, I'm going to buy the bits I need for it first, like bucket seats, subframes, harnesses etc. but I will let you know when I've started, but the only thing I don't want to loose is the speakers Sad
Thanks given by:
Get headphones Big Grin nice and light Wink
[Image: 9fa12c59-0c3d-4413-968d-6a7840ff068f.jpg]
Stage 1 HDi DTurbo Diablo 5dr, "Dee-Dee"
Thanks given by:
Yeah true!
Thanks given by:
I have to use noise cancelling headphones in mine over 20 minutes or so. Especially on the motorway doing 4.5rpm at 70. Arrrgh
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by:
I've kept my stereo and front speakers.
Not changed my dash, center console or door cards yet. So easy to keep it all in, but doubt it's much weight anyway
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
Just strip! It looks the tits and the rattles are what makes a car feel alive Wink
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
(20-06-2015, 08:50 PM)Piggy Wrote:

this.

See my thread and playlist on youtube where i have GONE TO TOWN stripping mine. Inside and out. Only lost about 150-160kg.

Which was then added again when you put that harness bar back in.. 
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
(09-07-2015, 08:11 PM)toseland Wrote:
(20-06-2015, 08:50 PM)Piggy Wrote:

this.

Which was then added again when you put that harness bar back in.. 
Probably, I know mine weighs a fair but and that's 42mm cds.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
(05-07-2015, 11:51 PM)kentiiboii Wrote: I've kept my stereo and front speakers.
Not changed my dash, center console or door cards yet. So easy to keep it all in, but doubt it's much weight anyway

You'd be surprised. Dash is bloody heavy
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by:
I've stripped cars before, full strips including dash and wiring, and half comprising of just seats and rear trim.

Without stripping the front, there isn't much point. You'll barely lose 50kg on the rear alone, so I've decided to leave all mine in on my current 206, at least until I decide to get another cage and go FIA.

Some of the heaviest bits were in the front. Sound deadening was surprisingly heavy, as was air ducting and especially the wiring, good few KG there.
Resident cat lover 
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Black strip just behind front door glass maxaret 26 5,360 02-04-2016, 07:00 PM
Last Post: maxaret
Thumbs Down Unpleasant black strip Bunhead5565 11 1,993 12-07-2014, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Bunhead5565
  help with plastic strip on door DTurboTom 8 1,316 28-04-2014, 09:55 AM
Last Post: Dom