SOLVED:Idle Problem

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SOLVED:Idle Problem
Im meant to be driving home from uni tomorrow 260 miles back to ipswich!

[Image: th_VID_20120428_172713.jpg]

The idle was a bit sticky and would often get stuck at 1200 and more recently at 3k! D: A blip of the accelerator normally fixed that until today when it made no difference!

Now it wont even idle properly and bounces between 600 and 1200.

Spoke to carl chambers and he said the Idle Contol Valve is probably dirty.

Can somebody explain which one that is? where i should be looking and pictures would be much appreciated. Its a 1.8 but with a gti6 manifold!
Thanks given by:
I already told you it was the ICV. Tongue

It'll be around the throttle body somewhere, with two torx screws holding it in and a plug on the top.
Thanks given by:
awaits niall with decent pics Big Grin
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Round the back of the manifold there's the ICV. As you look at it from front on, reach behind the throttle body and to the left towards the first runner on the mani, it's there held on with two 10mm headed bolts.

Take it off and you'll see it's held together by two screws. Undo them and it splits in half, get a rag in there and clean out everything you see, add a drop of oil to lube it then refit as before.

Sounds more like an air leak to me though, check everything's nice and tight. A small air leak causes the revs to shoot up, a bigger air leak causes the revs to hunt. If the ICV was dead it would more likely cut out than rev weirdly.
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRM7GciFdfxHRoOnHqbre1...M-ph-uOcHG]

edit: whoa! smallest pic ever.... basically... google!
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Try cleaning the ice but generally once there gone, after cleaning they still start hunting again.

If not, make sure all the manifold bolts are nice and tight.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Ok ill go and give it all a go! It will cut out sometimes :/
Thanks given by:
Give it a clean with some carb cleaner, the. Give it a good lube with some spray grease (not wd40 or similar). Mine did this about 6 months ago, did the above and not a peep since!

What's the horrendous sucking noise? Is it just the air intake or icv filter on the phone microphone comin out funny?
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
its the icv filter but it is genuinely that noisy! You can hear it from inside the car whilst driving and everyone keeps looking round to see what it is :/

just tried taking it off but there is no way i can get those two screws out with the screwdriver set i have. Reckon ill just have to drive the 260 miles with it how it currently is before i can do it properly at home :/
Thanks given by:
Also it may be easier to take the manifold off to do this and sort out the PAS pipe. Does it matter how tight the bolts are done up?
Thanks given by:
Bolts on what? The icv? If so you would only want to do these with a screwdriver torx or torx key, nothing on a ratchet as the plastic housing can easily be threadded...

The ICV is easily reachable with the fanny mould on, but if you need to do your PAS pipe while your there then would be easier with it off...

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Depends. If the wire to the ice is short, it's a PITA to get off/on with the manifold in situ. I normally find its easier to unbolt the icv and it's plastic housing from the manifold.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Niall Wrote:Depends. If the wire to the ice is short, it's a PITA to get off/on with the manifold in situ. I normally find its easier to unbolt the icv and it's plastic housing from the manifold.

Never found it a problem personally. Either way Sam, not a hard job to do to get you home :dance:

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Yep but its practically all motor way with like 3 junctions so itll be fine how it is for the journey back. Yeh the cable is very short and it probably is easier to ubolt the entire ICV and do it but i dont have any spanners with me :/ And I meant tightness with regards to the manifold bolts!
Thanks given by:
SRowell Wrote:Yep but its practically all motor way with like 3 junctions so itll be fine how it is for the journey back. Yeh the cable is very short and it probably is easier to ubolt the entire ICV and do it but i dont have any spanners with me :/ And I meant tightness with regards to the manifold bolts!

They're actually pretty 'loose' Sam, only like 20Nm, so easily handtight......infact my torque wrench doesnt even go that low lol. Just make sure they're evenly tight, so do them up diagonally. Smile
Thanks given by:
Everyone here is wrong by the way...

Someone has taken you're 1.8, and replaced it with a V12 lump.
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
ginge191 Wrote:Everyone here is wrong by the way...

Someone has taken you're 1.8, and replaced it with a V12 lump.

I dont think they have...

If this were the case i would have nicked it and it would be parked outside my house already!!! lmao

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
well... this problem hasnt esculated much....

i did the 260 mile journey and it cost me £120 in fuel! D: could literally see the fuel gauge moving! Tomorrow ill take off the manifold to clean the ICV and to also investigate the TPS.
Thanks given by:
Spent about 3 hours on this today. took the manifold off and everything. Cleaned up the ICV which was a bit dirty, the TPS wasnt full of oil...

dont know whats up really. might have to go to the garage :/ The intake air temperature sensor pretty much fell out and only had 1 of the 4 clip bits actually holding it on but that shouldnt be causing the problem :/

Anyone got any ideas?
Thanks given by:
did you bolt it all back together and find it made no difference?
disconnected and reconnected the battery?
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Thanks given by:
SRowell Wrote:Spent about 3 hours on this today. took the manifold off and everything. Cleaned up the ICV which was a bit dirty, the TPS wasnt full of oil...

dont know whats up really. might have to go to the garage :/ The intake air temperature sensor pretty much fell out and only had 1 of the 4 clip bits actually holding it on but that shouldnt be causing the problem :/

Anyone got any ideas?

Just because the TPS is not full of oil, does not mean it isnt faulty.
Being full of oil can cause a fault in them, but is not the sole cause of a fault. I would suggest trying to obtain another and trying that

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Yep bolted it all back together. Havent disconnected the battery :/ It should automatically adjust to any changes shouldnt it?

guess ill have to be on the lookout for another TPS. The one off the 1.8 was used on the gti6 manifold so i dont have a spare lying around.

Still got the 1.4 on the drive... that doesnt have the same tps does it? Can anyone link me to a decent one? Ones on ebay seem to be multiple shapes and unbranded :/
Thanks given by:
nope you'll need to disconnect and reconnect the battery, i didn't at first when i redid my ICV, idled about 2k, quick off and on with the b attery and it sorted it. idles spot on.

Thanks given by:
right ill go give it a go...
Thanks given by:
Nope disconnecing the battery made no difference what so ever! Erm... i had a look at the 1.4 and it has a black TPS like the ones on ebay. Ill try getting that off tomorrow and see if it fits. Failing that there are lots of 406s in the local scrappy. Reckon one off one of those will work?
Thanks given by:
no idea, but they are like 40 quid from gsf, so if you can get one from a scrapper, win win! take the old one with you to cmpare it, or note down any numbers that are on it

Thanks given by:
hopefully toms306 will come over tomorrow and we can go to the scrappers. hopefully they wont take the 106 and crush it whilst we are having a look round lol
Thanks given by:
I have my GTI6 TPS lying around here. Be careful bodging on any that will fit, different resistances will trick the ECU into thinking the throttle is opening by a different amount.

That fuel consumption is scary though!
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
cwspellowe Wrote:I have my GTI6 TPS lying around here. Be careful bodging on any that will fit, different resistances will trick the ECU into thinking the throttle is opening by a different amount.

That fuel consumption is scary though!

yeh that was meant to come with my manifold so we had to use the one off the 1.8! D: I know about the difference resistances so will have to see how it goes. Out of interest how much posted?
Thanks given by:
oh and also my speedo randomly cuts out which is very annoying when passing speed cameras. This also results in the milage not being changed. Can anyone point me in the direction of the speed sensor that is plugged into the gearbox?
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation High idle problem! PugRory 5 1,454 30-05-2014, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Niall
  idle and constant speed problem getting worse Popeye_6 89 25,600 26-08-2012, 10:57 PM
Last Post: Popeye_6