Oil change

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oil change
I'm trying to do an oil change on my 1.8 xs and can't really get to the filter, and was wondering if anyone could give me some tips to be able to get it off? (Other than jamming a screwdriver through it, which I really don't want to have to do)
Thanks given by:
Strap or chain wrench should do. Don't stick a screw driver through it.
Thanks given by:
I don't really have a lot of room to get to it but i'll try it Smile could I somehow move the radiator a bit without disconnecting it?
Thanks given by:
Nope, you just have to struggle and end up with arms covered in oil and shit, we've all been there... lol
Thanks given by:
Haha alright then thanks
Thanks given by:
How much oil does the engine take? I can't find it in the 306 handbook :/
Thanks given by:
It is in there somewhere lol. I think it's 4.2 litres on the 1.8. Put it in slowly and keep checking the dipstick is your best bet. It also says in the Haynes if you have one of those.
Thanks given by:
I have this oil filer removal tool:
http://www.halfords.com/motoring-travel/...moval-band

It is great. My friend bought one on my recommendation and also loves it. You can tighten it up around the filter even when there's virtually no access and you tighten it on the knob at the end, and it is very easy to reach up onto a gti6 filter from underneath with so I imagine it'd be the same on the 1.8.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
That's also what I use for these Retro...kinda what I meant by strap wench but looks like that's something different again lol. Really is the best tool for the 1.8/GTi6 that I've used.
Thanks given by:
Yeah they aren't the easiest things to get to especially if people don't oil the seal on the filter first so it sticks to the block. I got mine off using oil filter grips.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
I don't like the band or chain type tools as the handle needs to be perpendicular to the filter which can be a pain. Halfords make a tool that looks like a large set of pliers or grips that holds the filter very well and works at any angle befo the better choice AFAIC
Thanks given by:
(31-05-2015, 12:14 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: I don't like the band or chain type tools as the handle needs to be perpendicular to the filter which can be a pain. Halfords make a tool that looks like a large set of pliers or grips that holds the filter very well and works at any angle befo the better choice AFAIC

Thats the same as the ones I've got and they are spot on. If the filter is on stupidly tight, they can slip a bit but the teeth eventually grip and get it off.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
I used a really old looking strap type filter grip like this one

[Image: 22843bdb4eacc561b21568deb0ac8554.jpg]
Thanks given by:
The one I use doesn't slip, if it does it just needs to be tightened up more.

Personal preference seems to play a big part in which tool people prefer.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by: