Dip stick vs Oil Gauge

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dip stick vs Oil Gauge
Just wondering how accurate is the Oil Gauge? My old 306 didn't have one so its something new to me.

On a cold start in the morning when I turn the key, the needle is just above minimum, however if I check the dip stick it shows that the oil level is touching the maximum mark. 

After driving the car for a few minutes, if i turn the car of and then again turn the key the needle goes straight to maximum (I imagine this is because the oil is now heated up/thinner)

Is the guage more accurate on a cold engine or when the engine temp has risen?
Thanks given by:
it never tells the truth! dont trust it.

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
On mine, oil is half way down dipstick, but 1 notch below max...
3 x Peugeot owner.

1996 106.
1996 306 D Turbo S.
1994 Mercedes Benz 320E.
1997 306 GLX.

Subscribe! - https://www.youtube.com/user/TheADKJD/videos
Thanks given by:
Have to admit I have been impressed with mine. It has pretty much matched the dipstick every time I have checked haha
Thanks given by:
I always had to over fill a bit to get it on max on the gauge...so annoying when its not quite there. lol Its too sensitive though imo, tiny variation on the stick is huge on the gauge!
Thanks given by:
The needle changes according to the slope I'm parked on, but it does seem pretty accurate and matches the dip stick level.

I overfilled the oil a couple of years ago. The guys at the MOT station had a run on when they revved the engine up. They were scared shitless. They managed to stop it. They gave me a good telling off. LOL.

Steve
Thanks given by:
They are relatively reliable but for god sakes do not rely on it! They can get air locked in the top of the sensor and not give a proper reading.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
It's at the opposite side of the sump to the dipstick, if you park on any sort of slope it will skew both readings in opposite directions.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
For me, The oil level gauge most accuracy at the 1st time after oil changed !
1999 306 GTI-6 PT81 & Remapping
2000 406 SRI 2.0 Turbo 6M/T @ 1 Bar Boosted

[Image: 150521115952.jpg]

Thanks given by:
why even consider trusting it over the dipstick!?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
i wouldnt trust it over the dipstick, but as of now its surprisingly accurate (if i park on level ground)

some bmw's dont have a dipstick at all .... thats just asking for trouble
Thanks given by:
Yeah, lots of new cars don't have them at all, and a right pita it is too.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
always trust the dipstick over an electric reading, as for over filling oil to get reading of full right is stupid.
I always keep my oil level 3/4 full, best place imo, overfilling oil is as bad as underfilling
Thanks given by:
(02-06-2015, 07:07 PM)sweeney1987 Wrote: always trust the dipstick over an electric reading, as for over filling oil to get reading of full right is stupid.
I always keep my oil level 3/4 full, best place imo, overfilling oil is as bad as underfilling

That's only the case if you actually use your 306.....
Thanks given by:
I only really use it as piece of mind, would never properly trust the electronic oil guage as in both my hdis its always been a bit funny. The majority of the time it is right but always dip your car for oil its really the most important thing you can do in protecting your engine and is easy done.
Thanks given by: