Taxing a car after purchase

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Taxing a car after purchase
Alright guys, Just a quick one in regards to the new road tax law. Since tax is no longer transferable from seller to buyer was wondering how you go about taxing a new car, is it asap before you even start driving or once you receive the log book. 

If it is as soon as you buy the car would DVLA not untax the car when you apply to change owners on the logbook? 
Thanks given by:
You use the green part off v5 the new keeper bit
Thanks given by:
When they first set up the new system you couldn't do it off the green slip, just the new V5 or v11. Now you can tax it online with the new keeper green slip reference. Its an easy site to use on your phone.
Thanks given by:
buy a car thats already taxed and mot'd then beat the post home Wink

you are supposed to tax it before driving it away as this proves you have insurance too,
just hope the DVLA insurance database keeps up with all the updates out of hours

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
Thanks lads..

Lol Cully thats one way to go bout it hah
(19-05-2015, 07:09 AM)cully Wrote: buy a car thats already taxed and mot'd then beat the post home Wink

you are supposed to tax it before driving it away as this proves you have insurance too,
just hope the DVLA insurance database keeps up with all the updates out of hours
Thanks given by:
(19-05-2015, 07:09 AM)cully Wrote: you are supposed to tax it before driving it away as this proves you have insurance too,

Since when does it prove you have insurance?

DVLA Wrote:From December 2013 the insurance check is no longer part of the vehicle taxing process. However you may need your insurance certificate if you're planning to tax your car at the Post Office. It is possible to tax your vehicle either online at www.direct.gov.uk/taxdisc or by phoning the DVLA directly on 0300 123 4321.
Thanks given by:
Interestingly, I heard from a copper that the ANPR only tells them whether the vehicle is taxed, not when or who taxed it. So depending on distance I'd probably risk it on previous owners tax and don't drive like a twat on the way home.
Thanks given by:
(19-05-2015, 08:02 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Interestingly, I heard from a copper that the ANPR only tells them whether the vehicle is taxed, not when or who taxed it. So depending on distance I'd probably risk it on previous owners tax and don't drive like a twat on the way home.
That's what I'm thinking tom it's like a 15 mile journey back home from where I'm collecting the car, should be ok lol

(19-05-2015, 07:50 AM)JJ0063 Wrote:
(19-05-2015, 07:09 AM)cully Wrote: you are supposed to tax it before driving it away as this proves you have insurance too,

I think what's meant is you can't tax a car without insurance therefore by having to tax cars when buying also means you HAVE to insure them
Thanks given by:
(19-05-2015, 08:44 AM)Moh Wrote:
(19-05-2015, 08:02 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Interestingly, I heard from a copper that the ANPR only tells them whether the vehicle is taxed, not when or who taxed it.  So depending on distance I'd probably risk it on previous owners tax and don't drive like a twat on the way home.
That's what I'm thinking tom it's like a 15 mile journey back home from where I'm collecting the car, should be ok lol

I think what's meant is you can't tax a car without insurance

You can.

As per the quote I posted from the DVLA, you do not need to have a car insured in order to tax it. Therefore there is no 'Hoping the system updates' as it is not checked, it's just a case of using the telephone or internet service to tax the car before driving away. Obviously you do need insurance to drive the car though!
Thanks given by:
I just picked up the hdi without taxing it. The PO had taxed it this month so the dvla wont know until at least the end of this week

.... tbh i even got a mate to put it on his trade insurance and ive driven it using the 'drive other cars' priveledge on my other policy... my insurance currently know nothing about me driving a 306.

the bit i dont get is: my hdi was taxed for the month of may by the previous owner and having sold it on the 17th he will not be refunded for any of this month, however, if i want to use the car from today i have to pay from the 1st of may..... so they get double the tax for a month, that cant be right
Thanks given by:
(19-05-2015, 08:54 AM)thododd Wrote: so they get double the tax for a month, that cant be right

How else would they make their money? Most people buy low emission new cars these days with £30 or zero tax...they need to steal as much as they can from you guys, get more than a years worth of mine by getting 2 months tax from a pre Y reg car... lol Tongue
Thanks given by:
(19-05-2015, 08:54 AM)thododd Wrote: .... tbh i even got a mate to put it on his trade insurance and ive driven it using the 'drive other cars' priveledge on my other policy... my insurance currently know nothing about me driving a 306.

Which doesn't apply because you own the car.

The driving other cars benefit enables you to drive somebody elses car as long as it is insured elsewhere and you have been given permission by the owner to drive it.

The second you sign and date the V5C, the car becomes yours, so you are driving it uninsured.
Thanks given by:
(19-05-2015, 08:52 AM)JJ0063 Wrote:
(19-05-2015, 08:02 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Interestingly, I heard from a copper that the ANPR only tells them whether the vehicle is taxed, not when or who taxed it.  So depending on distance I'd probably risk it on previous owners tax and don't drive like a twat on the way home.

You can.

As per the quote I posted from the DVLA, you do not need to have a car insured in order to tax it. Therefore there is no 'Hoping the system updates' as it is not checked, it's just a case of using the telephone or internet service to tax the car before driving away. Obviously you do need insurance to drive the car though!

im confused!

so you dont need insurance to tax online but you need valid insurance to tax at the post office?

cause ive just seen a guy refused Tax at the post office due to insurance not being valid on due date

GTI6 Info

Thanks given by:
(19-05-2015, 09:01 AM)cully Wrote:
(19-05-2015, 08:52 AM)JJ0063 Wrote:

You can.

im confused!

so you dont need insurance to tax online but you need valid insurance to tax at the post office?

cause ive just seen a guy refused Tax at the post office due to insurance not being valid on due date

In essence that is what the DVLA website says.

I know for a fact that there is no insurance check over the phone or online when you tax a vehicle as I taxed the 206 GTI 5 hours before I insured/picked it up. It had been off the road for 3 months before I purchased it.

Saying that, the Post Office do not need to see the insurance certificate either, but some do ask for it. Again, DVLA quote says you "may" need it. They were wrong to refuse him tax though and they of all people should know that the insurance check has not been performed since December 2013 - He probably shot himself in the foot by providing the insurance certificate though!
Thanks given by:
The problem is they make it so damn complicated even the staff don't know what is or isn't needed!

They could make a much simpler system...maybe one where you go to the post office, they check the car, MOT and insurance is in your name, then allow you to buy a paper disc that lasts for however long you initially paid for... Itwasntme
Thanks given by:
(19-05-2015, 09:11 AM)Toms306 Wrote: The problem is they make it so damn complicated even the staff don't know what is or isn't needed!

They could make a much simpler system...maybe one where you go to the post office, they check the car, MOT and insurance is in your name, then allow you to buy a paper disc that lasts for however long you initially paid for... Itwasntme
Exactly that mate!!!! lol
Thanks given by:
(19-05-2015, 09:11 AM)Toms306 Wrote: The problem is they make it so damn complicated even the staff don't know what is or isn't needed!

It's really not difficult.

Buy a car.
Phone/go online to tax it.
Insure it.
Drive home.
Either leave your automatic direct debit to go out each month or pay it annually/every 6 months.
Sell the car. You sign the V5C over and get a refund if due.

How much more simple could it be? The new system is fantastic. So simple & means you can buy a car any time, anywhere without worrying about finding a post office and finding one that is open.
Thanks given by:
the only problem with the new system people have not dropped the value of the cars cause of no tax
a £750 306 with 12months tax is only worth £500-550 now maybe £600 with a full tank of fuel and MOT

GTI6 Info

Thanks given by:
(19-05-2015, 09:22 AM)cully Wrote: the only problem with the new system people have not dropped the value of the cars cause of no tax
a £750 306 with 12months tax is only worth £500-550 now maybe £600 with a full tank of fuel and MOT

Yeah I agree with that, although that is not the new systems fault - it's people being greedy/wanting the most they can get
Thanks given by:
(19-05-2015, 08:58 AM)JJ0063 Wrote:
(19-05-2015, 08:54 AM)thododd Wrote: .... tbh i even got a mate to put it on his trade insurance and ive driven it using the 'drive other cars' priveledge on my other policy... my insurance currently know nothing about me driving a 306.

Which doesn't apply because you own the car.

The driving other cars benefit enables you to drive somebody elses car as long as it is insured elsewhere and you have been given permission by the owner to drive it.

The second you sign and date the V5C, the car becomes yours, so you are driving it uninsured.
I was going to say this too. That said your name being on the V5 doesn't make you the owner it makes you the registered keeper but anyway you need to STOP DRIVING NOW untill you get valid insurance as what you are doing is illegal and if you get stopped you could find yourself with 6 points, a £300 fine and your car being seized.
Thanks given by:
What If it was bought without a v5 .... then its not mine til ive signed my v62 Tongue
Thanks given by:
Idiot, as soon as you buy it intending that it be your car then its yours irregardless of what its registered as. Failing to correctly register it is just another offence you commit.
Thanks given by: 1616six
(19-05-2015, 03:16 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Idiot, as soon as you buy it intending that it be your car then its yours irregardless of what its registered as. Failing to correctly register it is just another offence you commit.

This. 

V5C is not proof of purchase, you handing the cash over is you taking ownership of it.
Thanks given by:
(19-05-2015, 09:16 AM)JJ0063 Wrote:

It's really not difficult.

Buy a car.
Phone/go online to tax it.
Insure it.
Drive home.
Either leave your automatic direct debit to go out each month or pay it annually/every 6 months.
Sell the car. You sign the V5C over and get a refund if due.

How much more simple could it be? The new system is fantastic. So simple & means you can buy a car any time, anywhere without worrying about finding a post office and finding one that is open.

How is that more simple than buying a car with the remaining tax left on it?

Also you've presumably got an internet package on your phone, a lot of us don't. A lot of older people won't even have a mobile. Plus there are large parts of the UK without any phone signal let alone 3G signal.

It was much simpler on the old system for me - find a car with MOT and tax, temp insure it the night before, view and collect it. No chance for phone or internet problems at all!!
Thanks given by:
So you would limit your car choice to only finding a car with tax on it already?

How about using the landline/phone/computer of the person you're buying the car from?

Surely having to buy a car, if it needs taxing having to then drive untaxed to the nearest post office or get a lift there, pay for car, get docs, drive to the P.O, get tax, drive back, fit tax disk and drive home is more complicated than sitting outside their house and taxing it over the phone/internet/using their phone/internet.

You've also then got to limit the time to P.O opening times to when you can buy a car, people often buy cars at weekends/on evenings when P.O's are shut - it's generally just more of an inconvenience doing it the old way.

Your argument to me just seems so invalid, you're saying you'd either just wait to find a car that comes with tax, or be happier going to pick it up and hoping you can find a post office to tax it.
Thanks given by:
Also to do the above in the olden days you had to have your insurance certificate which took a few days in the post. The new system is much simpler IMO even if we get done out of a months tax every time we buy a car.
Thanks given by:
Really simple now i was a bit dubious at first with the recent change as there is no poof of insurance

I bought a car recently as 3 days ago. I did it in the following order via my laptop using my phones internet

Car was already sorn
Paid for car
Went online
Taxed car via D/D using V5c2 took a note of details. (D/D takes 2 weeks to come out)
Temp Covered the car online £25 made note of details
Drove away.

Took less than 5 minutes.

The data base doesnt update straight away took around 2/3 days to update would have still been stopped to produce documents
Perv 106 1.4 xs First Pug Love - Scrapped
Perv 306 1.6 5 Door Hore - Sold
110bhp 207 Hdi Sport - Used as a Brake
173bhp T25 Ph1 Diablo Dturbo - Scrapped
Thirsty Bitch Volvo 850 Estate - Sold
51bhp Berlingo Nad DT Van - Sold
Slow as f*ck Dispatch Work Horse

www.prestige-auto-care.co.uk
Thanks given by:
(19-05-2015, 03:35 PM)JJ0063 Wrote: So you would limit your car choice to only finding a car with tax on it already?

How about using the landline/phone/computer of the person you're buying the car from?

Surely having to buy a car, if it needs taxing having to then drive untaxed to the nearest post office or get a lift there, pay for car, get docs, drive to the P.O, get tax, drive back, fit tax disk and drive home is more complicated than sitting outside their house and taxing it over the phone/internet/using their phone/internet.

You've also then got to limit the time to P.O opening times to when you can buy a car, people often buy cars at weekends/on evenings when P.O's are shut - it's generally just more of an inconvenience doing it the old way.

Your argument to me just seems so invalid, you're saying you'd either just wait to find a car that comes with tax, or be happier going to pick it up and hoping you can find a post office to tax it.

It's hardly limiting choice, most cars still had tax on them with the old system, until they brought in the daft rule about having to be sorn if not insured. I only bought one withiut tax...the previuos owner had been driving it without tax for a month anyway so he delivered it to me lol - I said I wouldn't drive it untaxed but he wasn't bothered.

I dont know about you but I certainly wouldn't let a stranger into my house to use the computer, never know who they might be! With that I wouldn't expect anyone to let me into thier house either.

I'm not totally against the new system, just parts of it. Removing tax as soon as a vehicle is sold is ridiculous, no one expect the tax man benefits from that.
Thanks given by:
(19-05-2015, 04:34 PM)Toms306 Wrote: I dont know about you but I certainly wouldn't let a stranger into my house to use the computer, never know who they might be!  With that I wouldn't expect anyone to let me into thier house either.

Do you make people do the paperwork outside then?!

I've always been accomodating! Offer them a drink, use of the toilet etc if they've travelled. Letting them use the telephone or wifi/laptop is hardly a big issue is it?

I've met some lovely people when buying a car. Worse case scarnio you go and find a bloody phonebox - You're making every excuse there is possible, lol. Simple fact is the new system means you can buy a car any time of the day and tax it without physically moving if needs be.

I don't change car enough nowadays to worry about losing a months tax when changing, it's a bit of a bugger but nothing to write home about.
Thanks given by:
(19-05-2015, 04:40 PM)JJ0063 Wrote:
(19-05-2015, 04:34 PM)Toms306 Wrote: I dont know about you but I certainly wouldn't let a stranger into my house to use the computer, never know who they might be!  With that I wouldn't expect anyone to let me into thier house either.

Do you make people do the paperwork outside then?!

I've always been accomodating! Offer them a drink, use of the toilet etc if they've travelled. Letting them use the telephone or wifi/laptop is hardly a big issue is it?

This.
I bought a car last year and travelled over 100miles to get it and was about 10pm by the time i got there. They were suprised i was driving home straight away and asked if i wanted to sleep on their couch for the night and drive home in the morning lol

I do agree it's a stupid system and as easy as it may be, still not as easy and just buying a car with tax already on it. Tax man's happy getting paid twice in the same month when people buy/sell
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Taxing car without logbook. bashbarnard 11 1,795 07-01-2016, 09:18 AM
Last Post: r3k1355
  Anyone near Croydon? Ebay purchase collection Anton 6 1,189 06-07-2015, 05:14 PM
Last Post: Niall
  mpps purchase tysonbully2k12 1 914 27-12-2014, 10:20 PM
Last Post: mcglynn