Gear stick doesnt return to centre

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gear stick doesnt return to centre
If that makes any sense
Bought the car and it was very hard to get it into gears, turned out a link had popped off, so got some solid links which were the same length, now all gears can be selected but the stick doesnt have that springy feel to it, it wont come back into the centre (Between 3rd and 4th) by itself
It doesnt have much resistance when being moved between gears or in general, everything seems to be in place, any help?
Thanks given by:
Did you lubricate the solid links before fitting?
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by:
Engine mount?

I fixed the engine mount crack at the driver side strut on one of my 306s. It made my engine sit 5mm higher at that side and as a result my linkages were forever popping off.
Thanks given by:
The engine mount is fine, doesnt seem to have broken or had a repair
The links were well greased before they went on
Thanks given by:
Gearstick didn't at the center position when you put it to "N" position ?

Is my understanding correct ?
1999 306 GTI-6 PT81 & Remapping
2000 406 SRI 2.0 Turbo 6M/T @ 1 Bar Boosted

[Image: 150521115952.jpg]

Thanks given by:
is your exhaust too high and knocking on the stick?
Thanks given by:
Yeah the stick doesnt come back into the centre by itself in the N position, on all my previous cars, lets say you pulled it out of 1st gear, and can either go down into 2nd, or pull it to the right towards the other gears, if i let go the stick would move by itself into the middle between 3rd and 4th, my GTI doesnt do this, the stick stays where i leave it

Ill have a look at the exhaust, but i cannot hear any noise that might suggest that

I should have mentioned this first really, the car had been stored in 2009 and was bought by the owner before me in 2013, i have just bought it last month and he only drove it a few times between test centres and home, so its pretty much been sat for 5-6 years
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Car doesnt like the cold Michaelc5086 2 928 24-01-2016, 11:16 AM
Last Post: Niall
  Installing GTI6 gear stick - Cable too tight not 6th. Eeyore 10 3,043 02-12-2014, 01:11 PM
Last Post: welshpug
  Movement in gear stick. kentiiboii 11 2,325 29-05-2014, 02:36 PM
Last Post: kentiiboii