266mm Caliper snapped nipple

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
266mm Caliper snapped nipple
So got some 266 calipers off ash, one with a snapped nipple, I've drilled it out so I've got a few questions 

One is what is the thread size of the nipple?  

Any one know we're I can get some stainless steel nipples from? 

And how can I make sure the nipple will seal correctly now I've drilled it out?

Thanks given by:
Pretty sure they're M7 X1 & are £2.30 each with a cap from Pug,just copper grease the threads before installing them for easy future removal.
Thanks given by:
Don't think it is m7 tried a m8 bolt in it earlier and that screws in fine so must be m8 and looking on ebay the only thread in m8 is 1.25..... All tho the bolt I used was 1.5 thread so unsure what it is Undecided

Thanks given by:
Youve drilled it out, but havent retapped the thread?
Thanks given by:
(03-05-2015, 03:41 PM)Seb_Ryan Wrote: Youve drilled it out, but havent retapped the thread?

Not yet I used a bolt on the other Caliper to try the thread

Thanks given by:
Depends how careful you were. If the drill has hit the seat in the calliper, the calliper could well be scrap :/
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Pretty sure these are fine thread, are you sure it was m8 x 1.5? Did it wind in by hand?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(03-05-2015, 10:28 AM)Pgtips Wrote: Pretty sure they're M7 X1 & are £2.30 each with a cap from Pug,just copper grease the threads before installing them for easy future removal.
Seem to be m10x1 according to this thread  http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=7402
Thanks given by:
(03-05-2015, 06:33 PM)Niall Wrote: Depends how careful you were. If the drill has hit the seat in the calliper, the calliper could well be scrap :/

How would I know if I've hit the seat? (I bet I have Sad )

(03-05-2015, 10:22 PM)Poodle Wrote: Pretty sure these are fine thread, are you sure it was m8 x 1.5? Did it wind in by hand?

Hmmm I belive it was but your making me wonder now I'll double check tomorrow. Probably just end up with another Caliper at this rate save the messing.

Thanks given by:
Yeah unfortunately drilling bleed nipples is a right bastard of a job that even the professionals seem to get wrong fairly often - i've sent two refurbed calipers back to pagid in the last few weeks because the bleed port wasn't properly cleared.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
This wee kit has saved me a few times
Thanks given by: Poodle
that looks a good kit to have too be honest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0Q_5F1o_wY
Thanks given by:
Just saw this on their website, notice the car on the diagram lol

[attachment=23047]
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
That looks like a handy bit of kit, hmmm... Thanks, grantpipe!
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Wouldn't something like this be better than drilling them out (I know you've already done it, just mean in general)http://m.screwfix.com/p/hilka-pro-craft-...eces/20084
Thanks given by:
Ya could try it but the good thing with the small kit is if ya snapped a nipple again it's so easy to replace the nipple
Thanks given by:
(09-05-2015, 09:10 AM)bigcheez2k3 Wrote: Wouldn't something like this be better than drilling them out (I know you've already done it, just mean in general)http://m.screwfix.com/p/hilka-pro-craft-...eces/20084

I think the trouble is that they're for bolts where there's metal left but a bleed nipple is hollow so wouldn't really be able to grip onto anything solid & if the nipples already snapped the threads will be pretty rusted in but could give it a go lol
Thanks given by:
I believe a that nipple therapy kit is what I have on my 205 rear calipers, work's well
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Removing broken bleen nipple/How many types of rear calipers? Iaitoo 16 3,124 31-03-2016, 02:25 PM
Last Post: pug306driver
  Brake Bleed Nipple Specs Toms306 16 3,117 22-01-2016, 05:21 PM
Last Post: Toms306
  Snapped subframe ADV_93 4 1,404 21-09-2015, 02:24 PM
Last Post: bashbarnard