Handbrake Lever Excessive Travel

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Handbrake Lever Excessive Travel
There is excessive travel on the handbrake lever on my mum's 2000 Peugeot 306. Its far too high and concerned its going to slip and also fail its next MOT.
Is this just likely to be an adjustment or is it possible it would require an expensive repair?

Many thanks!
Thanks given by:
If you remove the plastics covering the handbrake, there's an adjustment nut on the rear - 13mm from memory.

Obviously check the cables etc first though, particularly if the travel dramatically increased suddenly.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
306's are prone to snapping handbrake cables. I would get them changed as it sounds like a cable has stretched ans will snap before long.
Thanks given by:
have you got drums on the rear?

adjust them up at the brakes first, then adjust the cable at the handbrake lever end to suit.

don't adjust the cable to make up for lack of adjustment on the shoes
Thanks given by:
I should first point out I'm not doing anything to the car myself. My independent garage is always happy if I supply my own original parts. How much would a new genuine handbrake cable part cost and how much labour are we talking?

I don't actually know - I'm not completely familiar with it because its not my car.

It did have a lot of work on the brakes in January 2014. These are the entries on the invoice:

ECP BRAKE PADS PAGI 101545388 Qty: 1
ECP BRAKE SHOE PAGI 102745028 Qty: 1
REAR BEARING CIT/PUG Qty: 1
FRONT BRAKE DISC Qty: 2
BRAKE CYLINDER GWC1453 Qty: 2

(28-04-2015, 10:53 AM)zx_volcane Wrote: have you got drums on the rear?

adjust them up at the brakes first, then adjust the cable at the handbrake lever end to suit.

I don't actually know - I'm not completely familiar with it because its not my car.

It did have a lot of work on the brakes in January 2014. These are the entries on the invoice:

ECP BRAKE PADS PAGI 101545388 Qty: 1
ECP BRAKE SHOE PAGI 102745028 Qty: 1
REAR BEARING CIT/PUG Qty: 1
FRONT BRAKE DISC Qty: 2
BRAKE CYLINDER GWC1453 Qty: 2

(28-04-2015, 10:53 AM)zx_volcane Wrote: have you got drums on the rear?

Thanks given by:
(28-04-2015, 11:01 AM)Distorted Vision Wrote: I should first point out I'm not doing anything to the car myself. My independent garage is always happy if I supply my own original parts. How much would a new genuine handbrake cable part cost and how much labour are we talking?

If you're taking it to a garage - I'd let them diagnose and repair the issue. Rather than guessing yourself and getting them to replace parts at random.
Thanks given by:
Indeed I was going to get them to look at first but the handbrake cables are pretty cheap so I was going to just buy them beforehand in case they need replacing. They will use 3rd party ones otherwise. There are different handbrake cables for disc and drum? Where do I find the Peugeot part codes?

(28-04-2015, 11:08 AM)zx_volcane Wrote:
(28-04-2015, 11:01 AM)Distorted Vision Wrote: I should first point out I'm not doing anything to the car myself. My independent garage is always happy if I supply my own original parts. How much would a new genuine handbrake cable part cost and how much labour are we talking?

If you're taking it to a garage - I'd let them diagnose and repair the issue. Rather than guessing yourself and getting them to replace parts at random.
Thanks given by:
ask them to order in genuine parts from Peugeot for work on your car? No reason they can't do that

Otherwise phone peugeot, or go in with your reg / vin number and ask for what you need
Thanks given by:
Wil do zx_volcane. The Peugeot dealership we bought it from is just 2-3 miles from where we live.

Just for future reference. Can I check if I have drums on the rear wheels. I didn't see a brake caliper. I just removed one of the rear wheel hubcaps and took these photos:

[Image: 2015_04_28_12_32_35.jpg]

[Image: 2015_04_28_12_32_44.jpg]

[Image: 2015_04_28_12_33_13.jpg]

(28-04-2015, 11:24 AM)zx_volcane Wrote: ask them to order in genuine parts from Peugeot for work on your car? No reason they can't do that

Otherwise phone peugeot, or go in with your reg / vin number and ask for what you need
Thanks given by:
Yeah that's drums. Probably on originally shoes as well.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
(28-04-2015, 12:27 PM)bashbarnard Wrote: Yeah that's drums. Probably on originally shoes as well.

As he listed brake SHOES in the parts replaced last year I would say not so!

I'd say whoever did the job last year didnt adjust them properly.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
skim read fail 
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pedal travel philpemberton94 4 1,206 30-08-2014, 02:24 PM
Last Post: Rippthrough
  Loads Of Pedal Travel bigcheez2k3 24 5,237 16-02-2012, 11:17 AM
Last Post: bigcheez2k3