wont crank

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
wont crank
help needed my hdi has thrown up P0380 - glow plug/heater circuit A. But the engine wont even crank over, glow plugs are new and tested relay, what else could it be ??

so far i have tried jump start nothing just clicking under dash, cant jump start as no way of getting up my drive on to rd.
after jump starting failed i bought new battery put that on still the same wont crank.

i have pulled off starter and tested solenoid that works ish - so have bought new one hopefully will turn up Thursday 23/4/15
Thanks given by:
Could be dodgy starter motor.. Or just the battery is that f*cked. Have you tried bumping it? Cba to read all that lol
Thanks given by:
You need to jump start it with another diesel as petrol battery's aren't strong enough. Again, no way i'm reading through all that (skim read a few sentences at the start)

Just delete that copy pasted essay and maybe write a few bullet points of what you've tried already along with symptoms. Will be clearer to read and easier to diagnose Smile
Thanks given by:
Skim read that, although i'd rather not have to again lol. Sounds like a bad earth, like has been suggested a few times up there. So yeah, check your earths.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
have checked all the earths they seem good, the only issue is the wire from the ignition to the solenoid on the starter only seems to have 5-6 volts ?? should it be 12v ? is there a relay or fuse for the starter ? as cant seem to see on on diagram in Haynes manual. many thanks
Thanks given by:
Have you actually pulled them off, checked for resistance, cleaned them up and put them back? Just looking at them will tell you very little.

Pretty sure there should be 12v to the solenoid, could well be your issue. Common causes include... Bad earths. Wink Also could be the starter relay, as you have surmised.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
earths all been resistance checked, hopefully il get the new starter motor on over weekend, any ideas on where the starter relay or fuse is ?
Thanks given by:
Fair play, definitely not that then. Afraid not, i use haynes for my wiring diagrams too. There is also this in the guide section, don't know if it's any good to you.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
new starter made not difference at all, i just get the battery light and the clock goes blank when i try to start it.
Thanks given by:
(27-04-2015, 05:33 PM)MrBigMac Wrote: new starter made not difference at all, i just get the battery light and the clock goes blank when i try to start it.

You sure the battery is ok?
Thanks given by:
yeah its brand new, never been used
Thanks given by:
Might be faulty then...

There shouldn't be anything to stop it spinning over if the battery, starter and cables are good.
Thanks given by:
Could it then be fuel related?   Huh
Thanks given by:
No. Cranking is literally as simple as putting battery voltage to the starter.

Fuel problems would only stop it catching/firing, not cranking.
Thanks given by:
(27-04-2015, 07:41 PM)Toms306 Wrote: No.  Cranking is literally as simple as putting battery voltage to the starter.

Fuel problems would only stop it catching/firing, not cranking.

I assumed it was a non starter for some stupid reason Doh lol

OP, is your battery the correct spec?
Thanks given by:
Some news I put the jump cables direct to engine as battery in the boot. And it cranks. So maybe my new battery is not so good or positive wire has degraded as get 12.7v at engine but won't crank without help on the engine.
Thanks given by:
I bet its the earth on the battery.. You may need 2 or 3 earth straps for it
Thanks given by:
Checking a earth isn't as simple as just belling the cable out as most people think. You need to do a voltage drop test on it

http://www.aa1car.com/library/voltage_drop_testing.htm

Try this Smile
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by: MrBigMac
Very interesting read. Thanks. makes sense that the earths or positive wiring is the fault. Il do a voltage drop test.
Thanks given by:
Tbh i'm still calling earth problems, especially now i know the battery is in the boot. For future reference giving us the whole story will help you get a better diagnosis. Is the battery in the boot a new thing, or has it been working fine before and the problem has appeared later on?
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Didn't realise the battery was in the boot. What size cable have you used?
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
350amp cable. Battery been in boot for years. Didn't think to mention it.
Thanks given by:
Excuse our cynicism, the number of times we get people with impossible problems who eventually admit they've just done something directly related to the issue in question is fairly depressing. Fair enough if it's been like that for a while, just thought it was worth a check.

Is the battery a bosch by any chance?
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Its my bad as its posted on another forum and they know me and the car. I didn't think lol. Nope its a Hankook battery.
Thanks given by:
Its alive. It was an earth fault. There were 6 or so strands of wire that had not snapped. I have learnt always voltage drop test. Resistance testing is pointless unless is snapped completely. Thanks for all you suggestions and help ?
Thanks given by:
(21-04-2015, 09:16 PM)Poodle Wrote: Skim read that, although i'd rather not have to again lol. Sounds like a bad earth, like has been suggested a few times up there. So yeah, check your earths.

So poodle was right in his third post......
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
(29-04-2015, 03:54 PM)bashbarnard Wrote:
(21-04-2015, 09:16 PM)Poodle Wrote: Skim read that, although i'd rather not have to again lol. Sounds like a bad earth, like has been suggested a few times up there. So yeah, check your earths.

So poodle was right in his third post......

Lolll. In op's defence, it was only Niall that mentioned doing the voltage drop test 
Thanks given by:
Yay lick my balls! Haha yeah as iceman says tbh. It's all easy when you know how...
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(29-04-2015, 04:04 PM)Iceman299 Wrote: In op's defence, it was only Niall that mentioned doing the voltage drop test 

(29-04-2015, 04:54 PM)Poodle Wrote: Yay lick my balls! Haha yeah as iceman says tbh. It's all easy when you know how...

Ahem! ....lady garden
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Anyhow thanks for your help ?
Thanks given by: