23mm Master Cylinder with 266mm Brakes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
23mm Master Cylinder with 266mm Brakes
Would there be any issues with this? Really fancy more intial bite without the extra weight of the GTI6 283mm setup!
Thanks given by:
Had this on my phase 1 was a good setup.

HDI D'Turbo Daily Driver ---- XUD D'Turbo Project
Thanks given by:
Loses a lot of the modulation, not a fan myself. When was the last time you serviced the brake system? Might be surprised at how much difference a fluid change and slider regrease makes.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
works great, its how the zx16v came from the factory.

less outright clamping force and a shorter pedal, meaning better modulation.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
Is how the later phase 3's left the factory as well, X reg onwards even 1.4s got 266s and the 23mm MC... Didn't have any issues with it myself.
Thanks given by:
(16-04-2015, 06:26 AM)Poodle Wrote: Loses a lot of the modulation, not a fan myself. When was the last time you serviced the brake system? Might be surprised at how much difference a fluid change and slider regrease makes.

Even though the one of the sliders is a bit stuck and the caliper cant be bled, getting this sorted out though, I had a new rear caliper and the whole system bar one front caliper bled, planning on the 266mm brakes for less unsprung weight but also the 23mm MC so theres a lot mire bite at furst which I prefer, my dads new Fiesta ZS only has 258mm fronts with rear drums but I much prefer the brakes on that as there is so much more bite and confidence in them Smile

Cheers lads Smile 
Thanks given by:
Your HDi already has 266mm brakes. May even have the 23mm MC depending on age as well!

Also, the 'whole' system bled bar one is just a major fail. Tongue

I would hope a new Fiesta does have better feeling brakes with more assistance, electronic shiz and everything fresh lol.
Thanks given by:
Yeah, bleed the lot...and care for the brakes, they save your life Wink
Thanks given by:
Early HDI Tom on a V plate, defo has the 22.2mm? One. Very gradual in braking until you get further down the pedal. guessing I could use any 2 port 23mm MC that Peugeot do? 306/406/xsara?
Thanks given by:
Ah I see, thought yours was Y reg for some reason. Will be the 22mm one as you say then.
Thanks given by:
My estate xud came with 247s had some 266s from a xsi lying about made a world of difference. Although saying that the pedal travel is a touch more. Not a lot though.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
I was I'm my mums 206 hdi and noticed the pedal was nearly to the floor on brake compared to mine...i told her 'this is shat' Big Grin
Thanks given by:
They bled all but one? Fundamental fail, new garage time lol.

Tbf if the brakes have just been serviced and you still want more bite sounds like you're right on the money.

Mei, how does that mean it's got more modulation? Larger mc on same slave equals less travel on the pedal, therefore more movement at the slave for the same pedal movement, ie less modulation, no?
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
The bleed nipple had snapped off Poodle, he can do anything I want and at £15 an hour im not complaining! Hes done a lot of things on the car now and its running as smooth as ever, bar the brakes which I need to get sorted.
Yeah I fancy a bit more bite so I thought the bigger master cylinder sounded like a good idea, as well as a new calliper or two, any suggestions on where to get one for? All way overpriced when ive looked over the last few days!

(16-04-2015, 09:02 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Ah I see, thought yours was Y reg for some reason.  Will be the 22mm one as you say then.

I wish it was a Y reg for the cheaper tax! Sad 
Thanks given by:
You can still bleed a caliper with a snapped nipple. Wink

I've never tried it as I didn't have the balls haha. But my local garage showed me how, you basically bleed it through the brake pipe connection instead. Not ideal but better than not doing it at all lol.
Thanks given by:
Fair enough, my mechanic couldn't risk it as I needed to do a 400 mile trip the next morning lol 

Can I use the xsara vts 23mm MC does anyone know? Guessing its the same as the GTI6 one?
Any other ones I could use like off the 307 or 406 with 283mm brakes?
Thanks given by:
Xsara VTS MC is a different fitment. Early 406 will fit and use a 23mm MC - ABS models are 2 port and non-ABS are 4 port.

However, I'm far from convinced that swapping the MC is going to fix a lack of bite. Assuming that the servo is working properly, then lack of bite is usually a friction issue.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
Ah fair play, that's a bit different, thought it was a cba moment lol.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(16-04-2015, 10:34 AM)powerandtorque Wrote: Xsara VTS MC is a different fitment.  Early 406 will fit and use a 23mm MC - ABS models are 2 port and non-ABS are 4 port.

However, I'm far from convinced that swapping the MC is going to fix a lack of bite.  Assuming that the servo is working properly, then lack of bite is usually a friction issue.

Cheers!
No friction issues, just want more braking force up top, so pressumed larger MC was the way to go
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HDi 23.8mm Master Cylinder - Where from? Alan_M 3 1,322 07-09-2016, 02:33 PM
Last Post: Alan_M
  306 HDi Brakes (266mm) replacement parts hpi_matrix 14 2,885 02-10-2015, 05:36 PM
Last Post: MY95
  Best 266mm Calipers/Brakes MY95 11 1,610 19-09-2015, 08:40 AM
Last Post: MY95