INTERCOOLER OR NOT?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
INTERCOOLER OR NOT?
Hi there im new to the site and was wondering if you guys would know if its possible to fit an intercooler from a 1.9 td 306 or 406 hdi to my 306 2.0 hdi? is it a hard job and is it expensive? im also after a remap if anyone can recommend any ideas / good remappers in the north / east yorkshire area (hull if pos) many thanks.. 8-)
Thanks given by:
Ideally you would want to go for a front mounted intercooler, the 'universal' kits on eBay are often a good place to start looking..

Off the top of my head, I know the derv doctor http://www.thedervdoctor.co.uk/ is fairly close to you, might be worth a try.
Captain Standard

Thanks given by:
As Toby said with the intercooler, usually looking around £200 for one of those universal jobs!

In regard to remapping I'd personally buy a kwp2000 or a galletto cable from eBay and buy the file from either
Pro_steve (Hdi-tuning.co.uk) like I did or there's mr whippy (gowhippy.com) and tb205gti whos usually floating around on the forums.
As I said I used pro_steve and really can't recommend him enough! Hope this helps
[Image: A1A3B2B1-9269-463A-9F21-2ABF4CE9BEAC-165...A3B3F7.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I guess if youre looking at oem additions then youre working with a scrapyard budget, in which case your best bet is to get a set of 406/c5 boost piping, some random extra pipes from other hdi variants (id is usually pretty similar so easy to mix and match), and a fmic from a lorry or large van. Plus as many good jubilee clips and brackets as you can lay your hands on to help fix it all together.

For a good map id second what oil-burner said. If youre not too confident with that then derv doctor would be the next best thing.

Can probably do the whole thing for less than ï¿¡200, depending who you get the map from. Bear in mind youll want either a low-torque map or a stronger clutch, just dont get a cg. For more info have a search about the forum, this has been covered loads in various project threads.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
If you look through the guides section theres a very good guide on this.
Thanks given by:
Thanks for your help chaps think i will take your advice re the re map sounds good! Dont know if im a bit over ambitions as regards the intercooler as my car is for sale in the next month and to be honest ive spent a fair bit on it over the 4 yrs ive had it. Engine wise it is totally standard, but have some nice body mods just wanted to increase the mpg and give the car a little more torque and thought this would be a good selling point. Cheers again Smile

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
Tbh if your selling it in a month I'd just leave it standard. You might get your money back if you remap it as it would appeal a bit better

I think getting rid of the 16v badge would help because let's face it... its not a 16v
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
4WayDiablo Wrote:Tbh if your selling it in a month I'd just leave it standard. You might get your money back if you remap it as it would appeal a bit better

I think getting rid of the 16v badge would help because let's face it... its not a 16v

Lol..^^

You will be surprised on how little engine modifications increase your selling price, I recon you would be lucky to get your money back tbh.
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
You wont get your money back on a FMIC set up.
Thanks given by:
Adding an intercooler won't be a good selling point, tbh most buyers will be after an unmolested example, which yours looks like!
Thanks given by:
from one newbie to another, i was toying with the idea, even got an i/c kit here, but lack motivation, seems alot of a ball ache to make one fit, and as stated, yours looks quite tidy as is, i feel adding an fmic kit, wouldnt do it many favours towards prospect buyers, unmolested sells better mate.
Thanks given by:
Fitting an intercooler isn't very difficult as far as tuning jobs go, easier than a lot of maintenance jobs tbh...
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
easier to do on non a/c models, il agree, but on mine, ive got washer bottle in to way so that'll need moving somewhere (problem 1), and the powersteering pipe that loops under the bell housing to move somehow or somewhere (problem 2), even for an experienced fitter who has never fitted on to a pug hdi but has done a handfull on others cars, i think mine would be the hardest.

quick question.. spotted a xantia hdi in my local breakers, its an i/c'd version 110, would most of its i/c bits fit on my 306?
bearing in mind i have a kit, just need the alloy inlet elbow, airbox to turbo inlet tract, possibly the back elbow off the turbo runs under the bell housing to the i/c?
not planning on using its intercooler i have my own just having another attempt a trying to find the best routing for the pipes without spending half a day relocating stuff?
Thanks given by:
as everyone has said as a selling point it wont make you any money!
Thanks given by:
Tbh dude way more people have done it on HDis than on anything else... I've got a solution for you though: MTFU! lol

Have a look at the guide and some of the HDi project threads, sounds like you're making it more complicated than it needs to be.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Poodle Wrote:I've got a solution for you though: MTFU! lol

Big Grin its being arsed mate, and every time i look i find something else to add to my parts list! slimline fan now. since i signed up ive changed jobs leaving me less free time.

i may do it eventually, but if anyone fancies giving me a hand who's fitted one to hdi before feel free, i cant pay, but you shall be rewarded with a buttie and enough tea to sink a ship and good banter lol this way it'll get done faster Big Grin
Thanks given by:
I think if you plan on keeping your car a long time to offset the cost of FMIC work, and you want a fast fun 306 HDi, then do it.

Otherwise don't.

A good FMIC set up costs a lot of time and money. You are gonna spend at least £150 on the mapping work in total. £300 for a clutch even doing DIY, and chances are it will need a clutch or you are not gonna get the best from the work, or have just done a good new OEM one any way.
Then you will need about £300 for the intercooling/piping/clips/boost gauge etc etc...

About £750.

It probably adds about £50 to the value of the car. Mainly because of the unknowns and because anyone tuning a car so far has preferences that won't match those of any potential buyer.

Rebellious, I'm happy to take a look under the bonnet and give you my 2p if you wanted. You are relatively local to me.

Obviously I'd go the route I did, and Rob McD did with our FMIC set ups. Mine would have fit on my brothers Estate HDi too iirc. Yes it was a bit more expensive but it's the best set up in my view... very short runs, smooth bends, huge intercooler, and was totally reliable in the three cars we set up with it (ie, no issues ever from the last screw tightening during fitting)

Dave
Thanks given by: