Second gear

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Second gear
Hi guys,

A thing I've noticed on my 6, when I'm pulling away quickly from first gear it doesn't want to slip straight into second gear, I've gotta be careful when doing it for it to drop right into gear. No problems at all with any other gears.

All comments welcome as always. Smile
Thanks given by:
Fluid change to the correct total oil from Peugeot. Could be clutch wear but more likely the gear oil
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by:
worn teeth and syncro hub that one, common
Overall Road Going Production Class Winner at BARC Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb 2012, 2013 & 2014 With a class record along the way (For a while), Taking 2nd place will be Ian Redding's 306 GTi
2016 Castle Combe GT championship class winner
Thanks given by:
(05-04-2015, 01:37 PM)adam b Wrote: Fluid change to the correct total oil from Peugeot. Could be clutch wear but more likely the gear oil

I have a leaking driveshaft seal that I'm getting fixed at the end of the month, could this be causing it as gear box oil is slowly leaking out?
Thanks given by:
Could be, but if not then Miles will be correct.
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by:
(05-04-2015, 08:25 PM)adam b Wrote: Could be, but if not then Miles will be correct.

If Miles is correct how much would it be to fix?
Thanks given by:
Easier to find a known good gearbox.
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by:
(05-04-2015, 08:41 PM)adam b Wrote: Easier to find a known good gearbox.

So another full gear box would be needed?
Thanks given by:
Well it tends to be easier, although it can be fixed. Gearboxes aren't expensive
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by:
Does sound like synchromesh. Had similar problems in cars, only gets worse unfortunately Sad

Try double declutching when changing gears, may help a little
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
New hub is around £175.00 plus labour to install, while it's apart you may as well do the input shaft bearings and seals £50.00 and £100.00 to fit
Overall Road Going Production Class Winner at BARC Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb 2012, 2013 & 2014 With a class record along the way (For a while), Taking 2nd place will be Ian Redding's 306 GTi
Thanks given by:
(06-04-2015, 07:11 PM)miles Wrote: New hub is around £175.00 plus labour to install, while it's apart you may as well do the input shaft bearings and seals £50.00 and £100.00 to fit

I'll mention this to my mechanic, thanks for the advice. The labour wouldn't cost me anywhere near as much as you said though as he does the work on my car at his house.

Where could I get these parts?
Thanks given by:
Peugeot, I have the bearings on the shelf
Thanks given by:
(06-04-2015, 07:13 PM)Moonwalker Wrote:
(06-04-2015, 07:11 PM)miles Wrote: New hub is around £175.00 plus labour to install, while it's apart you may as well do the input shaft bearings and seals £50.00 and £100.00 to fit

I'll mention this to my mechanic, thanks for the advice. The labour wouldn't cost me anywhere near as much as you said though as he does the work on my car at his house.

I highly doubt your mechanic will be interested in opening the gearbox himself either
Thanks given by:
(06-04-2015, 11:21 PM)HDi--Power Wrote:
(06-04-2015, 07:13 PM)Moonwalker Wrote:

I highly doubt your mechanic will be interested in opening the gearbox himself either

I was just thinking about fitting a reconditioned gear box if needed?
Thanks given by:
Could be a good option if you want to keep the car for a number of years
Thanks given by:
(07-04-2015, 07:18 PM)HDi--Power Wrote: Could be a good option if you want to keep the car for a number of years

Yeah I'm planning on keeping it and using it eventually as a summer car.
Thanks given by:
Save up and chuck in a new clutch kit, main crank seal, clutch cable and fork bushes too.
Just get a quaife in there as well...
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by:
I can supply recon box's to various spec's, same old thing the more new parts fitted up's the cost
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the advice guys! Smile

I'll keep you in mind Miles, by the looks of it I will be needing new parts for her, possibly a new rear beam too.
Thanks given by: