S16 Starting Problem

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
S16 Starting Problem
Hi all,

I am currently trying to get the S16 that I have bought recently started, it does have a head gasket problem but I have been assured by the previous owner that it runs. I am sure it is a bad idea running the engine with a bad head gasket but I want to make sure the bottom end is good! I would be gutted if I have to strip it apart again once I have changed the HG.

Anyway I have stripped out the spark plugs given them a good clean up and refitted them. The pencil ignition coils I stripped apart e.g the rubber sleeve and the spring and gave them a good clean up.

After putting everything back together the engine is turning over but she is not firing, there is definitely compression and fuel.

One thing I am not sure I have done correctly is assemble the the pencil coil correctly, what I did was stand the coil block on its head, place the spring in position then pushed on the rubber sleeve. Is this correct? or does the spring actually sit in the rubber sleeve in a certain position? The only reason I ask this is I notice a bulb shape in the spring and I assumed this is for stopping the spring dropping so far it does not make contact with with the coil head.

Thanks
Thanks given by:
I tried starting it again with no luck, so I have started stripping the engine down for the HG change.
Thanks given by:
Did you check for a spark? But you never know what people do, Trying to sort out a TVR at the moment with a similar thing, Found that the fuel return had been blocked up in 3 places, Work that one out
Overall Road Going Production Class Winner at BARC Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb 2012, 2013 & 2014 With a class record along the way (For a while), Taking 2nd place will be Ian Redding's 306 GTi
2016 Castle Combe GT championship class winner
Thanks given by:
(07-04-2015, 06:04 PM)miles Wrote: Did you check for a spark? But you never know what people do, Trying to sort out a TVR at the moment with a similar thing, Found that the fuel return had been blocked up in 3 places, Work that one out

That is impressive!

I admittedly did not check for a spark but I was more concerned about the bottom end being seized up as the car was stood for about a year. The engine was turning over nicely, plenty of fuel and the odd noise from the exhaust.

We will see what happens once the engine is back together.
Thanks given by: