Anyone used an exhaust db killer/bung

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone used an exhaust db killer/bung
Hi. Was wondering if anyone had any experience with db killers. I currently have a HKS exhaust on the Celica which is quiet on idle but a bit too loud for my liking when driving.

I've read on a few forums about bungs causing problems due to increased back pressure.
If it's just reducing the size of the tailpipe, it shouldn't really affect anything as the standard exhaust isn't exactly huge?

It's a non turbo btw
Thanks given by:
It is a bit bassy:

Is it only when cruising that its annoying / loud?
Thanks given by:
Yeah. On idle its as silent as a standard exhaust. Just not a fan of the boy racer big exhaust type noise while driving, although it is quieter than the usual rubbish lol
Thanks given by:
would twin tail pipe be quieter on back box? might keep the bass down a bit
[Image: 9fa12c59-0c3d-4413-968d-6a7840ff068f.jpg]
Stage 1 HDi DTurbo Diablo 5dr, "Dee-Dee"
Thanks given by:
I welded a xsara Picasso rear box onto mine in the end. Not restrictive and only cost £20 odd brand new. Smile also has a rolled tip on it.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
(24-04-2015, 11:04 AM)bashbarnard Wrote: I welded a xsara Picasso rear box onto mine in the end. Not restrictive and only cost £20 odd brand new. Smile also has a rolled tip on it.

and youd recommend a xsara backbox for a celica?  Exclamation
Thanks given by:
They work well but not really designed for permanent use. More for getting through noise restrictions on a track day.

Like This

109.6 db reduced to 103.9. Not bad for a bolt on part.
Thanks given by:
(24-04-2015, 12:45 PM)Eeyore Wrote:
(24-04-2015, 11:04 AM)bashbarnard Wrote: I welded a xsara Picasso rear box onto mine in the end. Not restrictive and only cost £20 odd brand new. Smile also has a rolled tip on it.

and youd recommend a xsara backbox for a celica?  Exclamation

Lol i'm guessing he assumes im talking about my 306, i hope lol

I've decided to just leave it as it is. The bung's look a bit weird anyway imo and then there's the extra back pressure which i'd rather not risk.
I barely drive it anyway and don't fancy spending more money on backbox's etc on what is already a £600 exhaust
Thanks given by:
Yes I did. Thread fail. Should've read all of it.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks given by:
(24-04-2015, 04:29 PM)bashbarnard Wrote: Yes I did. Thread fail. Should've read all of it.

Good job i didnt take your advice for gospel and went ahead with fitting a xsara backbox on lol
Thanks given by:
That would've been an oh shit moment for me when I saw a celica with that box on. Lol [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND TIGHTLY-CLOSED EYES] [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]
Thanks given by:
Sell the exhaust and get someone like longlife to make one to your sound requirements? It'd end up cheaper overall plus you'd get the sound levels you want.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
(28-04-2015, 12:00 PM)RetroPug Wrote: Sell the exhaust and get someone like longlife to make one to your sound requirements? It'd end up cheaper overall plus you'd get the sound levels you want.

The nearest longlife dealer is MIJ performance and they're a bunch of idiots lol

It's only a spare car anyway, only drive it once a week if that, so decided to not bother spending anything on it.

In the future i'll probably just fit a standard system
Thanks given by:
With it being a non turbo i dont see how a standard style box will hurt it as they came from factory with fairly tame and quiet exhausts, unless you have it mapped and running itbs or something, a 2litre turbo diesel probably has loads more flow through the exhaust so maybe a newish diesel back box should quieten it and keep it free flowing
Thanks given by: