What Tool Did You Use? Crankshaft Pulley Bolt Removal

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Tool Did You Use? Crankshaft Pulley Bolt Removal
Guys,

Today I failed massively at removing the dreaded Crankshaft Pulley bolt. I was armed with a brand new 1000w 450NM Impact Gun and a car wheel breaker bar (not ideal as it was cheapo one). Can you link me to some tools you guys have had success with as I am going to have another go Friday coming.....or taking it to a garage to use a air impact gun.
Thanks given by:
18v snapon 450 lbft 1/2" drive impact gun with a fresh battery.

or a 36" breaker bar.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
Breaker bar.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Mains powered ~450Nm impact gun.
Thanks given by:
3 ft breaker bar for the crank bolt and a crow bar locking the wheel bolts to the road and Yoink!

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
I really don't get how my new impact gun did nothing then :/ mines mains powered and is a Clarke cew1000 got it from machine mart. The bushes are in new condition too.

(29-03-2015, 07:03 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Mains powered ~450Nm impact gun.
How long did it take the bolt to come off with that mate? Sounds similar to mine.
Thanks given by:
Yeah its the same one.

Didn't take long at all, few seconds, not long enough for me to think it was a long time anyway lol.

I've removed quite a few with it, but have had just one on a HDi that I couldn't get off...but I think that one must've been over-tightened with a bigger gun before I got to it as I couldn't get it off with a breaker bar or anything!! Maybe the same has happened to yours. Confused
Thanks given by:
Starter motor and T-bar on the 406, T-bar and extending wheel brace on everything else. ( warm engine first)
Thanks given by:
Whereabout in Nottinghamshire are you? I did my bro's recently (when i wasn't prewarned to bring my gun) with a breaker bar, and someone with their foot hard on the brakes in 5th.

Welcome to pop in to mine in Rugby if you want to. I have a Snap on CT6850 that's never failed to shift anything - 840Nm breakaway and 475 sustained. I don't even bother to charge the battery before a big job. Big Grin
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
same as my gun, its a very popular unit.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
450nm is shag all, the good ones will be 1000+
Thanks given by:
All the good ones cost considerably more than the £40 when I bought mine lol! Wink Only ever come across one bolt it wouldn't shift and nothing on a road car should be more than 450Nm anyway tbh.
Thanks given by:
Where did you find a mains power one Tom?!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(29-03-2015, 08:04 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Yeah its the same one.

Didn't take long at all, few seconds, not long enough for me to think it was a long time anyway lol.

I've removed quite a few with it, but have had just one on a HDi that I couldn't get off...but I think that one must've been over-tightened with a bigger gun before I got to it as I couldn't get it off with a breaker bar or anything!! Maybe the same has happened to yours. Confused

I feel your on the money mate :/ I imagine it must have been replaced before now. There is even a YouTube video showing the sake gun on the same engine and it takes like 5 to 10 seconds.
(29-03-2015, 08:14 PM)Uberderv Wrote: Starter motor and T-bar on the 406, T-bar and extending wheel brace on everything else. ( warm engine first)
Thanks for the suggestion mate I just don't have the confidence to do that with it yet lol. I'd be paranoid to hell. Lol

(29-03-2015, 08:15 PM)C2K Wrote: Whereabout in Nottinghamshire are you? I did my bro's recently (when i wasn't prewarned to bring my gun) with a breaker bar, and someone with their foot hard on the brakes in 5th.

Welcome to pop in to mine in Rugby if you want to. I have a Snap on CT6850 that's never failed to shift anything - 840Nm breakaway and 475 sustained. I don't even bother to charge the battery before a big job. Big Grin

I am around the Worksop area mate. Thank you for the kind offer and if I don't get it cracked Friday I will be taking you up on the offer I feel.
Thanks given by:
(29-03-2015, 09:02 PM)Piggy Wrote: Where did you find a mains power one Tom?!

Machine Mart. They still sell it but it's about £60 now I think.
Thanks given by:
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/produ...SRC-impact

It seems a good bit of kit overall I just have a stubborn car lol
Thanks given by:
Ingersol rand W7150 will shift it. I usually use my 600nm SIP air gun and its never failed me.
Thanks given by:
(29-03-2015, 09:06 PM)C2K Wrote: Whereabout in Nottinghamshire are you? I did my bro's recently (when i wasn't prewarned to bring my gun) with a breaker bar, and someone with their foot hard on the brakes in 5th.

[quote pid='524053' dateline='1427660155']

I am around the Worksop area mate. Thank you for the kind offer and if I don't get it cracked Friday I will be taking you up on the offer I feel.
[/quote]

Fair old way away then, be a shame to have to come down here but you're more than welcome if you're in the sticky stuff.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
(29-03-2015, 11:26 PM)td163 Wrote: https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/produ...SRC-impact

I used that very same one. It loosened the bolt in seconds. My son stood on the brakes with 5th gear enagaged.

Good luck with it. I hate it when things don't go according to plan.

Steve
Thanks given by:
The starter motor!
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
(30-03-2015, 11:00 AM)C2K Wrote:
(29-03-2015, 09:06 PM)C2K Wrote: Whereabout in Nottinghamshire are you? I did my bro's recently (when i wasn't prewarned to bring my gun) with a breaker bar, and someone with their foot hard on the brakes in 5th.

[quote pid='524053' dateline='1427660155']

Fair old way away then, be a shame to have to come down here but you're more than welcome if you're in the sticky stuff.
[/quote]

Thank you mate, i'll keep everyone updated how I get on Friday...fingers crossed it will be a better day lol.

(30-03-2015, 07:50 PM)steve1001 Wrote:
(29-03-2015, 11:26 PM)td163 Wrote: https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/produ...SRC-impact

I used that very same one. It loosened the bolt in seconds. My son stood on the brakes with 5th gear enagaged.

Good luck with it. I hate it when things don't go according to plan.

Steve

I have no clue why I couldn't shift it the other day it would not even move an inch and I did the same method...car in 5th and dad on the brakes :/ only thing is I was attempting to do the job with a hot engine and I was wondering as metal expands maybe that was enough to seal the bolt in there??? who knows. Lets see what Friday brings with a cold engine and another dose of enthusiasm hahaha.
Thanks given by:
Hot engine should help free it off if anything. Confused

Usually find you need a scaffold pole with your breaker bar on these.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I just used a spanner....
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
it is april 1st and before noon Sleepy     no offence but how long was it??  the spanner I mean not the fish Heart or is that the dogs leg
Thanks given by:
It was a halfords double ended, closed ring spanner. I'd say it's probably about 15 inches long.

I guess I was lucky. Mine came off very easy
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
(01-04-2015, 05:43 AM)Poodle Wrote: Hot engine should help free it off if anything. Confused

Usually find you need a scaffold pole with your breaker bar on these.

As far as I was aware when metal is hot it expands...surely that would mean the bolt would expand although only a very little that would make it stiffer to remove??

Or am I all kindsa' wrong? lol.
Thanks given by:
Not far from me.
There's a few of us in Nottingham now with a wide range of 306s, few are mechanics who would love to help you out.
Keep a eye out we have quite a few meets, specially now summer has kicked in.

I use the pikey method, break bar on bolt and quickly crank the engine.
Never failed me yet.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(01-04-2015, 11:37 PM)kentiiboii Wrote: Not far from me.
There's a few of us in Nottingham now with a wide range of 306s, few are mechanics who would love to help you out.
Keep a eye out we have quite a few meets, specially now summer has kicked in.

I use the pikey method, break bar on bolt and quickly crank the engine.
Never failed me yet.

Hi dude, that sounds good I'd be up for dropping into a few meets introduce myself and all. My friend would want too as well I imagine dhdcdarchy on the forum.

That method may have to be used if it comes to it. Could you explain in a little more depth what exactly I'd need to do? Do I put the breaker bar against the subframe?

Cheers
Thanks given by:
(01-04-2015, 09:50 PM)td163 Wrote: As far as I was aware when metal is hot it expands...surely that would mean the bolt would expand although only a very little that would make it stiffer to remove??

Or am I all kindsa' wrong? lol.

I think you've probably overlooked the fact the whole engine is made from metal. Wink
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(01-04-2015, 08:18 PM)Matt Wrote: It was a halfords double ended, closed ring spanner. I'd say it's probably about 15 inches long.

I guess I was lucky. Mine came off very easy

Lucky the pulley didn't fall off if the bolt was that loose!! Tongue It's supposed to be tight, over 300Nm iirc, no way you'd get that off with just a normal spanner lol.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Crankshaft Pulley JTaylor2005 5 1,422 21-04-2018, 06:44 PM
Last Post: Frosty
  Crankshaft Pulley - removing bolt? CaptainHair 19 3,328 10-12-2016, 05:50 PM
Last Post: CaptainHair
  WARNING! Crankshaft pulley issues highwayman306 26 10,746 10-04-2015, 06:34 PM
Last Post: highwayman306