Rose jointed droplinks

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rose jointed droplinks
Since I fitted these drop links they have given me a very annoying clonky rattle (bolt in a hole noise) I dont really want to go back to standard so how can i quieten the noise other than turning up the music ha-ha? 
Smile
Thanks given by:
Shouldn't do. Sounds silly but the bolts that fit through the ARB and shock haven't run out of thread have they? So you have tightened the nuts right up but there not tight on the shock and ARB?
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
All the bolts are tight, been on for a while and passed MOT but the noise is just becoming an annoying now.

The rose bushes haven't got rubber gaiters on which I think I should get done
Smile
Thanks given by:
(15-03-2015, 10:25 PM)Hdi and proud of it Wrote: All the bolts are tight, been on for a while and passed MOT but the noise is just becoming an annoying now.

The rose bushes haven't got rubber gaiters on which I think I should get done

Ah that could well be it :/
They need to be greased and have boots on to stop ingress of crap so could well be its just worn out the bushes Sad
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
DOH ! Another job I just made myself!!
Smile
Thanks given by:
I don't think these are worth the paper they are written at all. Mine have done practically f*ck all miles and they are advisories on the mot now! not even a year old either! So I think I will be revering back to standard units.
Thanks given by:
They are very rigid and great for holding geometry where it needs to be etc but not really that suitable for road use
Thanks given by:
(16-03-2015, 03:24 PM)procta Wrote: I don't think these are worth the paper they are written at all. Mine have done practically f*ck all miles and they are advisories on the mot now! not even a year old either! So I think I will be revering back to standard units.

Yours are crap then. Get decent ones, fit them properly and look after them and it makes a big difference to the handling of the car.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(16-03-2015, 05:00 PM)Niall Wrote:
(16-03-2015, 03:24 PM)procta Wrote: I don't think these are worth the paper they are written at all. Mine have done practically f*ck all miles and they are advisories on the mot now! not even a year old either! So I think I will be revering back to standard units.

Yours are crap then. Get decent ones, fit them properly and look after them and it makes a big difference to the handling of the car.

niall they weren't fuckin cheap I tell ya!  paid £80! that was from a company on ebay, I am sure I linked them on another forum a while back.
like said niall you be lucky if the car has done 1k with them!  As the car has only did 3k miles since her last MOT.
Thanks given by:
That's partly why I stopped making 'em, got sick of messages saying "They're only £3.68 on ebay, your ripping us off!" Big Grin
I know you say they weren't cheap, but I couldn't sort out just the joints for £80 by the time you're done with inserts, studs and boots, never mind the links.

I made some with the cheap joints and no boots that needed maintenance to start with, nothing but hassle as no matter what people say, they never clean and maintain them like they require...by contrast the booted and tracable joints I ran on my wishbones lasted 3-4 years, in fact, they were still good as new when I sold 'em.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
(16-03-2015, 11:23 PM)Rippthrough Wrote: That's partly why I stopped making 'em, got sick of messages saying "They're only £3.68 on ebay, your ripping us off!" Big Grin
I know you say they weren't cheap, but I couldn't sort out just the joints for £80 by the time you're done with inserts, studs and boots, never mind the links.

I made some with the cheap joints and no boots that needed maintenance to start with, nothing but hassle as no matter what people say, they never clean and maintain them like they require...by contrast the booted and tracable joints I ran on my wishbones lasted 3-4 years, in fact, they were still good as new when I sold 'em.

what really bites me rippthrough, is that they have only just say lasted a year and they have done f*ck all miles, in fact the car has only done say 2k miles, as it was off the road with a f*cked wheel bearing for a few months.
also I don't give the HDi any shite at all. For 80 quid you would least expect them to last longer than that.  
Thanks given by:
To be honest, that's the worst thing for a rose joint, because the balls are high carbon (usually 52100) steel, so they get rust pits where moisture sits pretty quickly if they're stood without being used unless they have a lubricant film over 'em. Like most things with a car/machinery - they don't like being stood!

I do know what you mean at 80 quid for a pair of links, given for half that you can stick some good quality stock links on - but going by when I was doing 'em, I'd say that's kinda the no-mans land, in that they're too expensive for people to just go 'meh, cheap and cheerful, they'll do for the track car' so they'll just clean and grease 'em every month - and actually being expensive enough to do a decent package that will last the abuse they get on a road car.*
Still doesn't help you mind Smile

*Yes, that is the right way around, road car suspension bits see FAR more abuse than most track cars
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
(17-03-2015, 12:05 AM)Rippthrough Wrote: To be honest, that's the worst thing for a rose joint, because the balls are high carbon (usually 52100) steel, so they get rust pits where moisture sits pretty quickly if they're stood without being used unless they have a lubricant film over 'em. Like most things with a car/machinery - they don't like being stood!

I do know what you mean at 80 quid for a pair of links, given for half that you can stick some good quality stock links on - but going by when I was doing 'em, I'd say that's kinda the no-mans land, in that they're too expensive for people to just go 'meh, cheap and cheerful, they'll do for the track car' so they'll just clean and grease 'em every month - and actually being expensive enough to do a decent package that will last the abuse they get on a road car.*
Still doesn't help you mind Smile

*Yes, that is the right way around, road car suspension bits see FAR more abuse than most track cars

I am just reverting back to the standard OEM ones, that cash could have gone towards an exhaust for the car.
once I have got hold of some OEM ones, these will be binned.
Thanks given by:
Well i'm very happy with my drop links, they are definitely better than standard, i just need to fit these little rubbery socks on em to quieten the little buggers down a bit.

[Image: !BzzHH0!BGk~%24(KGrHqF,!iMEw5heruEBBM(qmOHY0g~~_12.JPG]
Smile
Thanks given by:
I think you have the same ones as me. Ive probably only done about 2000 miles on mine as well. Think theyre fine though but the car is off the road now! Wont be able to tell for a while!
Thanks given by:
Mine have done about that mileage too, no problems so far apart from the noise which is my fault
 for not fitting the rubber bits, probably same reason i ended up with 4 kids! lol
Smile
Thanks given by:
Mine are rattling like crazy too, who does make these now? I'd like to get some rubber boots too?
Thanks given by:
I've just ordered some from this shop
http://www.mcgillmotorsport.com/rodobal-...-ends-634/
I'll let you know what theyre like when they arrive.
Smile
Thanks given by:
Need to get myself some new ends and boots for mine, but I'll probable just fit stock ones and let the person I flog them off to sort them!
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gti6 droplinks procta 12 1,723 15-11-2014, 04:21 PM
Last Post: Jiffy
  Rose jointed top mounts dr_jekyll 3 1,176 20-09-2014, 01:39 AM
Last Post: dr_jekyll
  New rose joints for droplinks MCH 5 3,376 05-09-2014, 09:52 AM
Last Post: MCH