Does my beam look worn out?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does my beam look worn out?
Hey guys,

I have a feeling I have bought a 306 with a worn out beam tbf, It sits lower on the one side but it doesn't seem to have camber. It handles pretty crappy and the other day the back end slid doing 25 round a relatively smooth corner. I have never had a problem with that corner at higher speeds than that before. Here is a photo of the car from the back to see what you guys think.

How easy is it to switch to say a GTi-6 beam if it is gone? Is it just a bolt off bolt on job or is it a right pain in the ***?

[Image: 2sbmvxy.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Knackered shock surely?
Thanks given by:
Oh haha. Well in that case new shocks then Tongue lol I am not too familiar with how a torsion beam works really compared to my super simple corsa I had before and fiesta haha.
Thanks given by:
I could be wrong lol, it wouldn't be the first time. Wink

I just don't see how the beam bearing wearing out would cause that sort of problem.
Thanks given by:
That left side looks very cambered. My guess it's new beam time.
If you look at the right side it is pretty much 0' degrees camber and the left side nearer - 4' degree camber
Thanks given by:
So how much hassle am I looking at getting that sorted? If I say buy a refurbished GTi-6 one what would I need to change over from a meridian that has disks and ABS? Would it all just bolt into the new beam and then the beam just bolt onto the car?

Cheers,
Jack

Looking at a video on youtube it doesn't look like it will be too much of a pain to change. I will have to get my dad and my unkle to give me a hand and I might as well put a GTi-6 beam on as well to make it handle a bit better.
Thanks given by:
Looks like I will be going to these guys I think, Can get a Gti-6 beam fitted and set to whatever height I want http://www.axledirect.com/peugeot_306/

Anyone have any experience with those guys?
Thanks given by:
http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=28869
Thanks given by:
That other place is £20 cheaper for the refurbishment and will fit it as well for another £100. Now I know I could change on of these my self mechanically but then I would have to buy 2 decent jacks by the looks of it and then have to deal with doing it on a gravel drive that makes the jacks sink really badly.
I am swaying towards the place that will fit them atm tbf :/
Cheers for the link though Smile
Thanks given by:
I know who id choose.. And hes on this forum. Even if it is slightly more expensive
Thanks given by:
I all comes down to fitting it though. I will need to get all the equipment that I need to change it, then if its all rusted loads underneath and bolts snap I will be stuffed. At least in one of them places they will have the stuff to do it properly :/
Thanks given by:
looks higher on one side to me aswell. Its very hard to tell the condition of a axle untill you tare it down. Ive had perfect looking axles come to me and theyve been the worse and on the other hand axles that look like theyve been dragged from a river to be in the best shape.
90' 205 gti6 supercharged
05' Evo 9 IX GT

Team eaton.

Axle rebuilds please contact me for your needs.

https://www.facebook.com/axlesbystef/
Thanks given by:
I would get my beam done by you if it was possible to get it fitted as well as
a) I dont trust my self to do something that big yet
b) I dont really have the equipment or area to do it in either.
Thanks given by:
They're a piece of piss to fit mate.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Just get one jack and balance it. You have 2 hand and 2 feet to hold it in position once it's high enough lol
Thanks given by:
Okays, So mine is currently a disk one off a standard meridian HDI. If I was to change it to one off a GTi-6 what would I need to change? Is there anything that would need buying specifically for the Gti-6 beam?

Cheers Smile
Thanks given by:
Any 306 beam fits any 306 just the hand brake cables different between disk and drum and some will have abs some don't. but hdi with disks will be same as gti
Thanks given by:
Nice one. Cheers mate Smile

So if I got that gti-6 rear beam I may as well do my set of shocks as well like this
http://www.kamracing.co.uk/car-tuning/pe...gti-6.html
Thanks given by:
if its from a phase 3 it wont have a bias valve and the rear mountings will be different with its pipe work. But is all interchangeable
05' Evo 9 IX GT

Team eaton.

Thanks given by:
How come the ph3 doesn't come with a bias valve? Is it built into the ABS system I take it?
Thanks given by:
Yep, ph3s have electronic brakeforce distribution using the ABS module.
Thanks given by:
Mine is a phase 3 so if I was to get an old one I would have to change them over?
Stef if I was to get it done by you would I be able to just buy a gti-6 from you or does it have to be the same as the one I give you back?
Thanks given by:
im afraid they have to be a like for like spec axles. If you get a phase 2 axle you'd have to swap the rear mounting arms over and the phase 3 pipe work.
05' Evo 9 IX GT

Team eaton.

Thanks given by: JTaylor2005
Ahhh I see. Thats a shame :/ Im after a Gti-6 one. Cheers for all the advice though mate Smile much appreciated Smile
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worn Diff and how to know what gearbox’s what? Rob Mudhouse 13 2,704 17-03-2021, 01:09 PM
Last Post: Rob Mudhouse
  Handling on a worn out rear beam? JTaylor2005 11 3,428 10-08-2015, 04:26 PM
Last Post: JTaylor2005
  Worn master cylinder seals (pics) 306Puggy 32 8,108 27-08-2013, 06:12 PM
Last Post: 306Puggy