New Project - 1990 GSXR 400

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Project - 1990 GSXR 400
New Project on the go...

The hope is that this won't cost me a pile to run/maintain/enjoy and will allow me to take the car off the road for a few weeks to sort the faff that will come with fitting a bigger turbo.

Anyway, a few pics!

[Image: f25049d184bc917c3045acfa93bfdfe8.jpg]

[Image: 9d5a5dea49195e68491cae2cd816bb23.jpg]

[Image: 5288cc24993bafa69f958e94bad9fb17.jpg]

Only things ive done so far is out fresh fuel in, give it a good clean, a polish and a coat of dodo juice purple haze pro!

Also put a set of renthal grips on as the standard ones were a touch hard and worn...

[Image: d038058ab24e6da2cf1f7776701c1649.jpg]

[Image: a33cfea4b294ad88d3a3817c5e9ac668.jpg]

Has a nice wee scorpion can and link pipe, which looks to have been stubby'ed at some point.

[Image: 33ce7ca5ca19938ce7636a63800e73d4.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Looks awesome. Dads just got another bike. Not sure Ill be going back there for a while.
Thanks given by:
Nice. Quite liked the idea of the 400s from suzuki n kawasaki.
Plumped for the 6r in the end coz...noise and 110bhp! Hah
Whats it like on the road midrange??
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Looks awesome that. Don't know much about bikes but they do seem to age well. I'd have thought it was only a couple of years old, can't believe it's 25!
[Image: 20120704_212316.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(17-03-2015, 06:29 PM)Eeyore Wrote: Looks awesome. Dads just got another bike. Not sure Ill be going back there for a while.
Ha Sam, they are awesome. I had one a few years back on a provisonal and just hadnt got the spare cash to get another since. Now I do and it's happened!
(17-03-2015, 06:32 PM)Piggy Wrote: Nice. Quite liked the idea of the 400s from suzuki n kawasaki.
Plumped for the 6r in the end coz...noise and 110bhp! Hah
Whats it like on the road midrange??
Thanks Piggy, yeah Id fancy a 600 myself due to the above reasons, but going to stick with my restriction for the time being (46hp restricted and can't be more than double that in standard form)

Haven't had it out on the road yet 'properly' but from the quick run I have had its got a very close box & prefers to be on the topside of 9krpm haha! Tuneable to around 65+ hp I believe, but won't concern me Wink
(17-03-2015, 06:32 PM)Ben Wrote: Looks awesome that. Don't know much about bikes but they do seem to age well. I'd have thought it was only a couple of years old, can't believe it's 25!
Yeah bud its a gk76a and if you have a Google of that you'll see this is a touch different. It's had the tail of a 2005 (k5) gsxr fitted, along with the tail tidy and some fresh indicators. Really does change the whole look of the bike

Believe it or not I don't really like the gsxr 400 in standard trim, but in these colours and with the k5 tail piece I fell in love.
Thanks given by:
I like that, purely as its the same kibsa colours as my dads urban tiger lol
Thanks given by:
Looks very nice

I know absolutely nothing about bikes so going to shut up and enjoy the pictures Smile
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
Aye keep her above 9k for no other reason than #becauseracebike and that clutchless seamless gear changes are epic

Just be careful...You can often hit the NSL with 1st gear!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(17-03-2015, 07:34 PM)Seb_Ryan Wrote: I like that, purely as its the same kibsa colours as my dads urban tiger lol
Thanks bud, yeah slight similarity. I dread the day I need a paint match as it seems a tricky colour with some parts having been airbrushed etc.
(17-03-2015, 09:42 PM)7057sam Wrote: Looks very nice

I know absolutely nothing about bikes so going to shut up and enjoy the pictures Smile
Haha thanks bud, im still learning myself but know the basics Smile
(17-03-2015, 09:52 PM)Piggy Wrote: Aye keep her above 9k for no other reason than #becauseracebike and that clutchless seamless gear changes are epic

Just be careful...You can often hit the NSL with 1st gear!
Well dont quite think ill be doing nsl in 1st haha but they do get upto and beyond any limits stupidly quick.

Will have to get a video of it up, the noise is lovely.
Thanks given by:
That looks as mad as a sack of drunken squirrels, top choice mate!
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
Cheers big dog, appreciate it. Will fire a video up tomorrow for the laughs.
Thanks given by:
sounds good. or will do when you get the video up! haha

I love the 4 pot quad carb jap buzzers.

The sound of my ZX6r NEVER EVER EVER got old! 14k rpm is just....... well, ahhhhhhrhrhrhhrhrhrhrhhrhrhrhrhrhrhrh
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I like these bikes but nothing beats a Harley Knucklehead for me. Yes I know Harleys are slow, thirsty and unreliable but I love them.
Thanks given by:
Liam you are an advertisement for slow thirsty unreliable things!

Ive yet to get old and like harleys :p
Thanks given by:
(18-03-2015, 01:16 PM)mcglynn Wrote: Liam you are an advertisement for slow thirsty unreliable things!

Ive yet to get old and like harleys :p

That's because I'm slow, thirsty and unreliable Wink
Thanks given by:
Wow that looks ace, I'm not a fan of suzuki because everyone and their mother has a gixxer round here but I love 400s.

This is my zxr400 at the moment, it's went full on project haha.
[Image: 10847404_10153152940987495_7037181843303306415_o.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Thanks spoonaltap, get on with it the summer is very near Wink

Video is in the process of uploading.

Nothing too exciting but will give an idea of how it sounds Wink

Ok,

Quick video. That didnt take long. Im no expert with a camera as you will see haha.

1990 Suzuki GSXR 400 GK76a Scorpion Exhaust: http://youtu.be/9sxq6ohdGEI
Thanks given by:
Really really like this bike, I want one now haha. Luckily I have a couple of bikes that are on the road so no rush in getting the 400 back together. Need to spray the frame as I can't be arsed with the upkeep on a polished frame.

This is my badboy, 08 R1

[Image: 10496253_10152590318747495_5787405070030802459_o.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Ah here you'd hardly be rushing to get the 400 back on the road if your rolling an r1 haha! Looks lovely mate, health to ride!

Thanks very much, the 400's are definitely different but with some work could play with 600's on the right road...

Not liking the chicken strips on the r1 Wink
Thanks given by:
Haha yeah it's still running the chicken strips as I've just fitted new tyres and the weather has not been permitting for me to even consider cornering hard. One thing I've found owning the R1 is that it's totally pointless for the road as you can't use any of the power without going extremely illegal speeds so I'm quite looking forward to getting the 400 on the road, I want a wee screamer.
Thanks given by:
Yeah I totally agree.

R1 is much like a high end sports car in that you cant ride it hard a lot of the time and you'll still be into doubke figures, whereas the 400's will do them but you'll sure as hell know you're doing them haha!

Fair point about the weather, need some new rubber myself and diablo rosso 2's have come highly recommended. What're you running?
Thanks given by:
Pilot power 3s on front and back now, came with those super soft expensive tyres that I canny remember the name of but these grip just as good and are dual compound so the middle is hard and the corners are soft. Got them off http://www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk/ which seemed cheapest place to get them. The pilot power 2ct would prolly work well with the 400.
Thanks given by:
I do have a soft spot for motorbikes like these, as my mate is a rider, sadly its a border I wont cross sadly, plus with me been a short arse, I wouldn't be able to manage one sadly. I would be like superman if I gassed the throttle up once I got one going!
what are your future plans for it?
Thanks given by:
(21-03-2015, 03:45 PM)Spoonaltap Wrote: Pilot power 3s on front and back now, came with those super soft expensive tyres that I canny remember the name of but these grip just as good and are dual compound so the middle is hard and the corners are soft. Got them off http://www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk/ which seemed cheapest place to get them. The pilot power 2ct would prolly work well with the 400.
Fair enough, I'll check out reviews. Might be a good shout as I'll be commuting on this for a while during the time the cars off the road.

Had heard great reviews about the diablo rosso 2's due to a friend on his gixxer 6, and a few others.
(21-03-2015, 08:23 PM)procta Wrote: I do have a soft spot for motorbikes like these, as my mate is a rider, sadly its a border I wont cross sadly, plus with me been a short arse, I wouldn't be able to manage one sadly. I would be like superman if I gassed the throttle up once I got one going!
what are your future plans for it?

Their cool retro little things but the retro has sort of been taken away from mine. The 400 would suit a shorter lad as they were designed for the Japanese market (grey imports) who as a general rule would be shorter/lighter than the likes of me. Can feel quite cramped in the riding position, which is also quite harsh for daily use unfortunately.

Future plans are tyres, test, and ride it. When ive had it a while I might think about mods, but for now its pretty much spot on. Only thing I will consider is having it set up on a Dyno.
Thanks given by:
your best off going to a bike track day to get yours setup, as my mate was in two minds of getting it setup. A few lads were getting theirs done at croft racing circuit. not sure on the price.
Thanks given by:
Dyno is where it will be set up if its getting set up, log afrs etc and see if its up or down on power.

Will do a Base setup myself if needs be and then take it to a Dyno after. Might be ok after a okug swap though
Thanks given by:
I've always wanted a smaller capacity sports bike. There is a lot to be said for being able to smash right up through the gears. Sometimes there is such a thing as too much power.

I've had 2 GSXR's now, a 600 SRAD and a K4 GSXR 1000, so I'm a big fan of this! Smile
Resident cat lover 
Thanks given by:
I hear ya Chris! Really looking forward to having this on the road tbh.

Off road test next week, fingers crossed.
Thanks given by:
I'll be popping over to Belfast again with my old man on our bikes in the summer. Will give you a shout and see if you're free Smile

What sort of power is this making? Am i right that you are on a 33bhp or 47bhp restriction at the moment?
Resident cat lover 
Thanks given by:
Yeah I'm due to get my a2 license which will be 47bhp. These make around 60hp or so.

And yes, definitely do get in touch when you are over Smile
Thanks given by: