wheel spray paint

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
wheel spray paint
hi guys anyone got a good method on how to respray wheels preferably someone who has actually done it, I know to do it the proper way it does take quite a while but just curious as to weather I want to do it or take it to a wheel refurb shop
thanks
Thanks given by:
These are last set I done. Took a week of sanding to get it smooth. Paint prep wipes. Filler primer. Wet sand 1200 grit . Prep wipe. Paint top coat. Dry. Paint clear coat. Leave to bake in my downstairs toilet for a week before I polished. Look at MCM wheel refurb on you tube. Basically explains what I done.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
(17-03-2015, 12:13 PM)bashbarnard Wrote: These are last set I done. Took a week of sanding to get it smooth. Paint prep wipes. Filler primer. Wet sand 1200 grit . Prep wipe. Paint top coat. Dry. Paint clear coat. Leave to bake in my downstairs toilet for a week before I polished. Look at MCM wheel refurb on you tube. Basically explains what I done.

Thanks mate just a thought, would one of these sanding drill extensions ruin the quality or is it just better doing it by hand anyway
Thanks for the advice
Thanks given by:
Sanding drill extension will scratch too much I reckon. It is all in the prep work! Just remember that while doing it.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
(17-03-2015, 03:34 PM)bashbarnard Wrote: Sanding drill extension will scratch too much I reckon. It is all in the prep work! Just remember that while doing it.

thanks mate
Thanks given by:
Or use a smooth metal paint like hammerite, needs quite a bit less prep, but limited colours to choose from Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
I personally wouldn't go with hammerite spray far to thick to work with I used the basic halford spray anything stuff works great,used plenty of clear coat come out really well.
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
(18-03-2015, 11:45 PM)7057sam Wrote: I personally wouldn't go with hammerite spray far to thick to work with I used the basic halford spray anything stuff works great,used plenty of clear coat come out really well.

thought that with the hammerite thanks for the advice with the Halfords spray paint and yeah going to be putting at least 3-4 cans of clear coat on because as we all know you cant use enough lol
Thanks given by:
(17-03-2015, 12:13 PM)bashbarnard Wrote: These are last set I done. Took a week of sanding to get it smooth. Paint prep wipes. Filler primer. Wet sand 1200 grit . Prep wipe. Paint top coat. Dry. Paint clear coat. Leave to bake in my downstairs toilet for a week before I polished. Look at MCM wheel refurb on you tube. Basically explains what I done.

these look nice mate are they purple
Thanks given by:
It's in the prep, if it feels smooth you're good to go. This is the last set I done and I wasn't fussed on the outcome of them because the MG throws out a fair bit of brake dust so I spent about half an hour on each rim just flatting back the original laquer so I could spray it. Ideally you sand back until it's completely smooth and you filler any curbing then spray, depends how good you want it.

[Image: SmBOat4l.jpg]

Don't use halfords laquer, I've heard other people say that it doesn't harden as good as it should. This is what I've heard from other forums so take it with a grain of salt.
Thanks given by:
(19-03-2015, 06:53 PM)Spoonaltap Wrote: It's in the prep, if it feels smooth you're good to go. This is the last set I done and I wasn't fussed on the outcome of them because the MG throws out a fair bit of brake dust so I spent about half an hour on each rim just flatting back the original laquer so I could spray it. Ideally you sand back until it's completely smooth and you filler any curbing then spray, depends how good you want it.

[Image: SmBOat4l.jpg]

Don't use halfords laquer, I've heard other people say that it doesn't harden as good as it should. This is what I've heard from other forums so take it with a grain of salt.

any reccomendations on good laquer, what did you use if any
thanks in advance
Thanks given by:
How much are you planning on spending on materials, out of curiosity?
Thanks given by:
(21-03-2015, 10:51 AM)Iceman299 Wrote: How much are you planning on spending on materials, out of curiosity?

Budget isn't an issue as long as the job is done properly mate
Thanks given by:
(21-03-2015, 02:00 PM)smithbomb Wrote:
(21-03-2015, 10:51 AM)Iceman299 Wrote: How much are you planning on spending on materials, out of curiosity?

Budget isn't an issue as long as the job is done properly mate

Was going to say why not just get them done professionally? Some places do powder coating for £20-£25 a wheel
Thanks given by:
If budget isn't an issue then powder coating or getting them sprayed by a professional with a gun will give best results but if you take your time theres no reason why doing a rattle can job can't look good. This is the stuff I've used for my wheels and the paint looks good, wheels would have came out a lot better if I'd spent my time doing it instead of a rush job. No idea if their laquer is any good tho.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Yellow Ph.1 fogs spray/tint vandalzd 2 1,498 07-01-2015, 10:42 PM
Last Post: vandalzd
  Badge Re-spray Nathan1305 35 8,998 30-07-2014, 10:35 PM
Last Post: Nathan1305
  Silver 306 Black Spray Paint Colour for Spoiler MY95 4 1,618 16-01-2014, 01:50 PM
Last Post: Eeyore