Cooling fan stays running after engine switched off..

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cooling fan stays running after engine switched off..
In the last week my HDI cooling fans have kicked in on high speed after turning off the engine and run for a few minutes. Engine temp is fine and it's not overheating. Today I discovered the fans had run all day at work and let me a flat battery! I've pulled the fan fuse as a temp measure, I'm guessing this is either a sensor, relay or wiring issue? Fans run OK with Aircon on at their slow speed.

Anyone experienced this?

Thanks in advance
Thanks given by:
I had this on a GTi6...was told it was likely to be the Bitron unit...however a HDi doesn't have one so that may or may not be helpful... lol
Thanks given by:
Yeah I had it on a GTI6 it was the bitron, but like you say the HDI is ecu controlled!
Thanks given by:
Corroded wire on the body to fan loom connector, bottom RHS of the rad as you look from the front. Alternatively, relays are misbehaving.

This is my HDi from years ago, same thing - woke up in the morning to the fans running by themselves with the car turned off.
http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=119690

At the time i recall low speed fans didn't work, and the drivers fan came on full speed (since the series/fan1 12V feed was compromised).
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
Thanks - I will check that out - sounds very much like my problem.
Thanks given by:
As C2K says, common culprit is the loom connector by the rad. Be aware this is a fire hazard, get it checked out immediately if you can.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Thanks it's on my todo list tomorrow - fuse taken out so hopefully be ok for now
Thanks given by:
I dont think taking the fuse out will prevent the fire risk, iirc only way to prevent the fire risk is to remove the battery or obviously fix it.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anyone running a red Powerflex Lower Engine Mount Tom85 7 2,226 13-06-2013, 09:02 PM
Last Post: Tom85
  Engine running on after switch off 306 hdi Welshy_Pete 27 8,085 02-03-2012, 06:56 AM
Last Post: Poodle