cheap track helmet

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cheap track helmet
(09-03-2015, 06:55 PM)Rippthrough Wrote:
(09-03-2015, 01:23 PM)Poodle Wrote: Most useful piece of advice i've been given on this subject was: find somewhere you can try them on - the sizes and fit will vary between manufacturers and you'll be wearing it for hours at a time under high stress conditions, it's worth making sure it's comfortable.

This, you could spend £2k on a carbon fibre dog-danglies helmet, but if it doesn't fit your head as well as that £30 one you got off ebay, it's likely to do more harm than good. Tight, secure fit is everything with a helmet.

Saying that, if anyone wants a cheap helmet just for trackdays, I do have a few good quality bike helmets in the attic which have never been dropped or knocked, they were just replaced every few years with shinier ones. IIRC 2 of them have the flip up front chins on them so you can use them as open face as well as closed.

Just one thing to be aware of older helmets which may appear to be fine.. The impact absorbing foam liner degrades over time and that's something you cant check visually. If the helmet is over 10 years old my advice is to bin it.
Thanks given by:
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360917169900

Shame they're out of stock for the minute.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
(10-03-2015, 10:24 AM)PartyJas Wrote: Rippthrough
This, you could spend £2k on a carbon fibre dog-danglies helmet, but if it doesn't fit your head as well as that £30 one you got off ebay, it's likely to do more harm than good. Tight, secure fit is everything with a helmet.

Saying that, if anyone wants a cheap helmet just for trackdays, I do have a few good quality bike helmets in the attic which have never been dropped or knocked, they were just replaced every few years with shinier ones. IIRC 2 of them have the flip up front chins on them so you can use them as open face as well as closed.

Just one thing to be aware of older helmets which may appear to be fine.. The impact absorbing foam liner degrades over time and that's something you cant check visually. If the helmet is over 10 years old my advice is to bin it.

Yep, something else to watch out for. Mind, these were only used for a 18-24 months before being replaced.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
(10-03-2015, 12:30 PM)Rippthrough Wrote:
(10-03-2015, 10:24 AM)PartyJas Wrote: Rippthrough

Yep, something else to watch out for. Mind, these were only used for a 18-24 months before being replaced.

Time still degrades the liner whether they are in use or not. Most helmet manufacturers advise you change your helmet after 5 years.
Thanks given by:
(10-03-2015, 10:43 AM)silverzx Wrote: www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360917169900

You can get omp star's cheaper than that new 

Good helmets but wouldn't want to ruin a epic picture of me on track with me pulling a weird face lol 
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
(10-03-2015, 09:47 PM)7057sam Wrote:
(10-03-2015, 10:43 AM)silverzx Wrote: www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360917169900

You can get omp star's cheaper than that new 

Good helmets but wouldn't want to ruin a epic picture of me on track with me pulling a weird face lol 

They're the sort of thing I'd be buying..
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
Just as an update
Postage was very fast and the helmet is very cosy. A bit tighter than I thought and it doesn't help that the mouth guard at the front is quite fat so some nose/mouth clearance issues.
Sticker on the back says it conforms to ECE22-05 Standards which is fine for castle combe where it'll be used
"Crash Helmets are compulsory and should be to BS116658 or ECE22-05 spec"

Overal had I tried it on in a shop, probably wouldnt have bought it for the clearnace issues etc but happy enough with it for the £20 it cost especially sicne I know the history or it more rather than the blue one mum got my from the bootsale lol
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
Did you definitely measure your head right? It''s hard to explain how tight is too tight but you want it tight, it needs to be a relatively tight fit to keep you safe as your head shouldn't be able to move inside the helmet in the event of a crash.

My LS1 helmet is definitely the right size but motorcycle helmets always feel close to your mouth, I can just touch my top lip against the mouth piece if I really push it out and I know my nose is close to the nose bit. If you have worn BMX or motocross full face lids then the mouth piece is usually further away as you are likely to be working harder so need more air through the mouth guard but also slower speeds so the helmet can be a little less strong by having a more protruding mouth piece.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The £1k french cheap track car challenge.. Matt-Rallye 18 5,600 09-06-2016, 12:07 PM
Last Post: Matt
  Helmet issue.. kieranyeh 66 15,034 04-09-2013, 02:45 AM
Last Post: Bender
  is this helmet good enough for track day Jimmyboycheck 11 2,557 20-08-2013, 05:23 PM
Last Post: Ed Doe