Clutch UH-OH...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clutch UH-OH...
So MOT passed now to move onto clutch then turbo, was planning turbo first and clutch the following keep.
So last week my cable decided to snap (white clip at pedal end) replace cable and now the bite is right down at the bottom. First assumed it was becasue the old cable was so streatched but now gives a crunch when going into reverse and pedal doesnt fully return up when you lift you foot off. Anything obvious ive missed?Any thoughts?
Thanks given by:
Is it a self adjustable one? Has it been routed correctly?
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by:
(08-03-2015, 05:24 PM)adam b Wrote: Is it a self adjustable one? Has it been routed correctly?

Yea self adjusted, definatly the correct cable, gonna chech the routing becasue it was done in darkness witch wouldnt help hahaha, the pedal comest all the way up if you pull it with your foot it that makes scence? but it full engages so its more of an annoyance than anything atm
Thanks given by:
Is the spring still on your clutch pedal?
Thanks given by:
Have you removed any locking collar on the self adjusting part? Sometimes they have a plastic clip to stop them "adjusting" in the packet..

If you have, and the routing is correct, stamp on the pedal a few times, the auto adjuster might need a bit of help.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
That ^^. 9/10 if you're fitting a new cable to a old clutch, it needs some persuasion to get it to settle where it should.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(08-03-2015, 06:42 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote: Have you removed any locking collar on the self adjusting part? Sometimes they have a plastic clip to stop them "adjusting" in the packet..

If you have, and the routing is correct, stamp on the pedal a few times, the auto adjuster might need a bit of help.

Spring is still on pedal, what does the locker look like?
Thanks given by:
Pull the spring off the pedal, it's better without it anyway IMHO..

The cover will just be on the end of the auto adjuster, some don't have them and on those that do it's normally a different colour and has a sticker saying to remove it.

Thanks given by:
(08-03-2015, 07:42 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote: Pull the spring off the pedal, it's better without it anyway IMHO..

The cover will just be on the end of the auto adjuster, some don't have them and on those that do it's normally a different colour and has a sticker saying to remove it.

Does the spring not return the pedal from the floor after released?
Thanks given by:
(08-03-2015, 07:57 PM)Pug0BZ3011 Wrote:
(08-03-2015, 07:42 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote: Pull the spring off the pedal, it's better without it anyway IMHO..

No the clutch does that. The spring was initially there to take up any slack in the cable but it can cause more damage than good
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(08-03-2015, 08:03 PM)Niall Wrote:
(08-03-2015, 07:57 PM)Pug0BZ3011 Wrote:

No the clutch does that. The spring was initially there to take up any slack in the cable but it can cause more damage than good
So the fact its now so low says new clutch to me but the pedal sticking means...?
Thanks given by:
No no no. Ignore where the biting point is or where the pedal sits. You need to set the adjuster by really stamping on the clutch pedal a few times. You will find the bite will change instantly then.
The sticking pedal is more than likely the clutch pedal spring. There was actually a Peugeot recall to remove these as they were prematurely destroying clutches.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(08-03-2015, 09:00 PM)Niall Wrote: No no no. Ignore where the biting point is or where the pedal sits. You need to set the adjuster by really stamping on the clutch pedal a few times. You will find the bite will change instantly then.
The sticking pedal is more than likely the clutch pedal spring. There was actually a Peugeot recall to remove these as they were prematurely destroying clutches.

Tried stamping on it and no difference... Sad
Thanks given by:
did you remove the spring??
and check for the collar on the adjuster? as said, may be locked for keeping it from adjusting in the packet!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(10-03-2015, 01:18 PM)Piggy Wrote: did you remove the spring??
and check for the collar on the adjuster? as said, may be locked for keeping it from adjusting in the packet!

Spring is still on, going to double check the old cable against the new to see if there is any adjuster when i get home from work
Thanks given by:
Take the spring off!!!1!1!1!1!1!!!111!!!!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(10-03-2015, 03:18 PM)Piggy Wrote: Take the spring off!!!1!1!1!1!1!!!111!!!!

Is the one thats about an inch long and on the side of the clutch pedal? Of so how do you remove it?
Thanks given by:
(10-03-2015, 03:20 PM)Pug0BZ3011 Wrote:

Is the one thats about an inch long and on the side of the clutch pedal? Of so how do you remove it?

Screwdriver/hammer how ever you feel fit.. Mine fell off lol
Thanks given by:
Pull the retaining pin and lever it off sideways with a screwdriver/lever bar

Thanks given by:
It goes with a twang, don't have your face under there as it goes.
Thanks given by:

Spring off, clutch feels abit more gradual again, but now the pedals floppy near the end (wha-hey) likes reverse alot better but it still closter to the floor than what it was
Thanks given by:
The adjuster simply hasn't set itself.

Take the cable off the gearbox, pull it in and out a few times, place it back on, then put your foot on the clutch and move it to the side so the pedal twangs up... That should solve it.

If that doesn't, it must be a faulty cable or you've still got the mechanism to stop it adjusting in the packet.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(19-03-2015, 09:57 AM)Ruan Wrote: The adjuster simply hasn't set itself.

Take the cable off the gearbox, pull it in and out a few times, place it back on, then put your foot on the clutch and move it to the side so the pedal twangs up... That should solve it.

If that doesn't, it must be a faulty cable or you've still got the mechanism to stop it adjusting in the packet.

I know the adjsuter is the part that clips to the back of the bulk head, will every new cable come with a mech to stop it adjusting? I didnt remove anything from the new cable so think it may be this, what is it i'm looking for? Like a tab?
Thanks given by:
The answer is in this thread, the adjuster stop has been described already. Have you tried removing the spring yet?

Thanks given by:
(20-03-2015, 07:35 AM)Jonny81191 Wrote: The answer is in this thread, the adjuster stop has been described already. Have you tried removing the spring yet?

Going to have a look for the collar when i get out of work, yes spring taken off.
Thanks given by:
Not every new cable has this locking collar. I bought a original pug cable for my old 1.8 and it didnt have one on.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
[quote='Niall' pid='522126' dateline='1426873920']
Not every new cable has this locking collar. I bought a original pug cable for my old 1.8 and it didnt have one on.
[/quo

Didn't have a lock colar but had a fitting that could be turned a few degrees, seems to have helped
Thanks given by: