Centre Box Removal

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Centre Box Removal
Right ive still got the 1.4 and its exhaust centre box section will obviously be being scrapped with the car. I was talking to some of the gti boys and their cars sound epic with the centre box removed. What do you think the result will be if i take the centre pipe off, remove the internals and then put it on the 1.8?

I dont know whats in that box but i presume i could bash the baffles out and my mate has got a welder so if it sounds good i could get him to cut it open remove the bits and then weld it back up.

Will it be epic Big Grin or epic fail Sad ?
Thanks given by:
It will probably be easier and better to just cut it out and sleave a straight through bit in place of it.
Thats what i've done.
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
Longlife would probably charge 40 quid just to weld a bit of pipe in for you. Be much easier! If you smash the insides out the box, it may still not sound right because everything will resonate around the box.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
OK i guess Ill have to see what I can do. strictly_derv what was the change in sound like? Big Grin
Thanks given by:
The insides of those boxes will be a perforated tube with wadding around it, so no 'smashing' like a cat box.
Well it was on a diesel so make a fair difference. On my brother car it made a huge difference and he only had a sprtex back box, made it really raspy after the box removal.
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
strictly_derv Wrote:The insides of those boxes will be a perforated tube with wadding around it, so no 'smashing' like a cat box.
Well it was on a diesel so make a fair difference. On my brother car it made a huge difference and he only had a sprtex back box, made it really raspy after the box removal.

ok. Ive got a sportex backbox but it came off a diesel which has different internals? Its just massively droning on the 1.8!
Thanks given by:
I don't think the tu and Xu exhaust pipes are the same diameter are they?
Thanks given by:
i just assumed they would be? The sportex backbox fitted both the 1.4 and 1.8 so must be the same centre pipe :/
Thanks given by:
Diesel pipes are fatter but i've had a petrol one on a diesel. Yeah his was pretty droney and shit but with the mid box removed made it really raspy, well worth doing.
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
SRowell Wrote:i just assumed they would be? The sportex backbox fitted both the 1.4 and 1.8 so must be the same centre pipe :/

Ah ok, must be the same then...... Smile
Thanks given by:
Would it be better just to buy one of these and do it properly? Less cutting stuff up and welding and more sitting around waiting for th postman!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270960024594?s...1438.l2649

Also i presume PC Plod wouldnt be too happy if he looked under and saw the centre box missing? Wink
Thanks given by:
As long as you have a back box, no centre box wont worry the police

Edit: so long as you can weld well enough, it'll do the same job as that race tube, just cheaper
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
samass Wrote:As long as you have a back box, no centre box wont worry the police

Edit: so long as you can weld well enough, it'll do the same job as that race tube, just cheaper

its Ned (Nuast) who has the welder but cba to organise it and go round his. Might as well just buy the tube and new clamps and do it properly... Maybe a new backbox too Wink and a gti6 manifold
Thanks given by:
Stop flucking around and get yourself a dturbo.
Thanks given by:
D: Id want a black phase 1 just like Jakes tbh! I have been looking but cant find any for sale! And then what would i do with the 1.8? I really like it Sad
Thanks given by:
Sell it. Gain boost an probably 50hp over the 1.8. What are you waiting for?
Thanks given by:
sod that, get a '6

Thanks given by:
6's are shit ninja Get a Dturbo.
Thanks given by:
get a '6Turbo

Thanks given by:
on a more related note, might aswell decat at the same time as '6 manifold, decentre box an new backbox...

Thanks given by:
Black ph1 you say?
May be interested in selling my 74k one for the right price. Completly standard too.
[Image: sig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Already got a decat. So 6 manifold, no mid box and new sportex backbox Smile
Thanks given by:
you got a '6 decat?

Thanks given by:
samass Wrote:you got a '6 decat?

not atm. the 1.8 is currently decatted. havent got round to fitting the gti6 manifold due to funds! Its about £100 to get it fitted D:
Thanks given by:
you'll need a shorter decat for the '6 manifold, it takes up a lot more room then the standard one does.
£100????? dude, DIY

Thanks given by:
i dont quite fancy taking the engine off the mounts and moving it around on my own! People have tried with the 1.8 and failed!
Thanks given by:
get yourself an engine crane, £40 for a day, whip it out, whip it back in. job jobbed.

Thanks given by:
Buy my powerflow job done Smile

Thanks given by:
R45_ODV Wrote:Buy my powerflow job done Smile

what does it sound like? Big Grin and.... swap for morettes?
Thanks given by:
samass Wrote:get a '6Turbo

Why the hell didn't peugeot make one of those! :o

They could've easily beaten the VAG 1.8 turbo.......
Thanks given by: