Help!!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help!!
Exclamation 
Just had my engine light come on and it won't rev over 2.5k!! And when I turn ignition off it takes a few seconds to stop!! Urgently need help. Anyone got any idea what it is? I've tried unplugging the MAF and makes no difference.
Thanks given by:
Sounds like it's in limp mode
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(05-03-2015, 05:19 PM)Midnightclub Wrote: Sounds like it's in limp mode

It definitely does, just wondering if people have any idea what I can check? Running on for a second or two after ignition is off, is that normal for limp mode or does it point to something more? Turbo oil seals?
Thanks given by:
Fuel pressure reg maybe...

Oil seals wont put it into limp mode.
Thanks given by:
I recall people mentioning the brown relay behind the ECU in the past but honestly can't remember off the top of my head. Sure someone else will pop up soon enough with some more help

Plugging it in to some form of diags' should help though
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
If its running on after ignition turned off then 99% sure its a fuel pressure problem, try cleaning the regulator.
Thanks given by:
Possible connection problem with the FPR - usually the thing to chuck it in limp mode.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(05-03-2015, 05:25 PM)Midnightclub Wrote: I recall people mentioning the brown relay behind the ECU in the past but honestly can't remember off the top of my head. Sure someone else will pop up soon enough with some more help

Plugging it in to some form of diags' should help though

(05-03-2015, 05:28 PM)shervo Wrote: If its running on after ignition turned off then 99% sure its a fuel pressure problem, try cleaning the regulator.

(05-03-2015, 05:35 PM)Ruan Wrote: Possible connection problem with the FPR - usually the thing to chuck it in limp mode.

Cheers for the quick replies guys Wink dumb question, I haven't for a Haynes so where is the FPR located?
Thanks given by:
It'll be making too much fuel pressure because the fpr is blocked or not opening properly, hence limp mode and running on. Default position for the fpr is open, for obvious safety reasons, so if it's got connection problems it just wouldn't run.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(05-03-2015, 05:41 PM)Bassman85 Wrote: Cheers for the quick replies guys Wink dumb question, I haven't for a Haynes so where is the FPR located?

FPR is on the gearbox side of the high pressure pump, held in by awkwardly located T30 (IIRC) torx bolts made of cheese.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
As said, held in with 2 T30 torx bits, move the filter housing out the way so you can hold the bit straight to prevent rounding the bolts.
Thanks given by:
Thanks again guys, pretty sure it's the FPR but my tool collection is rubbish so I can't get it off Sad gonna take it to my mates garage tomorrow
Thanks given by:
Does the fuel pressure regulator need any sorts of washers when refitting it? Gotta do my fuel filter soon so may as well clean the fpr on mine at the same time.
Thanks given by:
100% the fuel pressure regulator. Or maybe 99%, but very likely.
HDI Tuning Ltd
www.hdi-tuning.co.uk
Thanks given by:
(05-03-2015, 09:24 PM)pro_steve Wrote: 100% the fuel pressure regulator. Or maybe 99%, but very likely.

Cheers steve Wink hope to get it sorted tomorrow or over the weekend Wink
Thanks given by:
Jtaylor, if there's nothing wrong with it leave it alone, if you take it out you risk causing problems. In answer to your question; it just has an o-ring or a gasket fitted, depending on what year it is. As far as i can tell you can't get replacements, so just reuse the old one.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
FPR
had this problem myself

And yes be careful undoing the bolts they are made of cheese and I guarantee you'll drop one of the bolts and you won't find it
Thanks given by:
Pretty sure you can get replacement gasket/o rings from peugeot, but most motor factors will have a box of o rings, just find two that fit.
Thanks given by:
There's 2 types of FPR I've found
1 has a flat gasket on
the other has an o ring
Thanks given by:
Guess my local dealer just couldn't be arsed to look properly then lol, nothing new. Rolleyes
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(06-03-2015, 10:28 AM)Poodle Wrote: Guess my local dealer just couldn't be arsed to look properly then lol, nothing new. Rolleyes
Doesn't surprise me tbh, I phoned my local dealer up for some power steering fluid and asked when they recommend to change it and all they said was 'any old power steering fluid will do and we dont know when your meant to change it'.
Thanks given by:
Is it alright to drive it in limp mode with a bad FPR as the garage is a 20 minute drive
Thanks given by:
I dont see it causing any problems as limp mode is pretty much a safety get you home mode. Someone will confirm that though.
Thanks given by: Bassman85
I've driven some distance in limp mode. Hasn't done me any damage

Have you got a cheapy obd reader? Clear the fault it might go
Thanks given by: Bassman85
(07-03-2015, 07:37 PM)Paul_13 Wrote: I've driven some distance in limp mode. Hasn't done me any damage

Have you got a cheapy obd reader? Clear the fault it might go

I haven't got an obd reader. Anyway of reseting the light manually? battery of for a while?
Thanks given by:
Can someone post a link to a suitable obd on eBay because all the cheap ones I've found say diesels from 2004?
Is there a way to turn light off with obd? I know on my 2003 Ford Focus I could disconnect the battery
Thanks given by:
Disconnect the battery for 45 mins, might snap it back to
Thanks given by:
Sometimes it goes out if you restart the engine about 10 times.
HDI Tuning Ltd
www.hdi-tuning.co.uk
Thanks given by:
It'll go out after five restarts IF the problem is fixed. It's perfectly safe to drive in limp mode, the whole point of limp mode is to restrict it's operational range to prevent further damage to anything.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
i have got lexia if you need to have it put on one

i am in sheffield
Thanks given by: