Which are better?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which are better?
So im looking at new shocks. And I'm swaying towards the bilstein b8s but the price is pushing me away haha! What are the b4s like? Or is it worth just saving up and getting the b8s? Either way I need new shocks haha!
Free hangover cures!
Thanks given by:
B4s are great especially for you who drives sensibly at the speed limit everywhere Smile
Thanks given by:
Piss off millar Wink im a speed machine at 42 il have you know ha!!
Thanks given by:
B8s are better than B4. B8s are more expensive than B4s. So... you get what you pay for. B4s are meant to be the same as stock from what Ive heard others say.
Thanks given by:
B8s are like £155 a shock :/
Thanks given by:
Meh get coilovers
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
Buy used instead?
Thanks given by:
I've just taken delivery on a B12 kit (B8s and Eibachs). I'm hoping they'll be similar to the Bilstein Sprintline that I used to have fitted to my 205.

Currently, the Diseasal has a set of Xsara B4s on VTS springs, and whilst good for the money, it gets a bit soft when pushing on for me. Hence the upgrade.
2001 BMW 330Ci
2012 VW High Up
1988 205 GTi 1.6
1990 205 Mi16
Thanks given by:
I don't want used really tom! Id rather get new springs and shocks! I just can't decide what to get! Id love some b8s but they are ridiculously expensive ! I don't drive fast and won't be using it for track so maybe im best off with b4s?

(19-02-2015, 07:46 PM)Alan_M Wrote: I've just taken delivery on a B12 kit (B8s and Eibachs). I'm hoping they'll be similar to the Bilstein Sprintline that I used to have fitted to my 205.

Currently, the Diseasal has a set of Xsara B4s on VTS springs, and whilst good for the money, it gets a bit soft when pushing on for me. Hence the upgrade.

I was looking at those actually! Let me know how they are! Be good to have some feedback
Free hangover cures!
Thanks given by:
Ive had both B4s and B8s in the past. Both fantastic but i would say the B8s are substantially better!
B8s and a decent set of springs (H&R or Eibachs) will out handle most coil overs in that budget you still get to keep your spine in tact.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
i got b6 on mine they r same as b8 except b8 has shortened rods the b4 s just a good quality road shock
Thanks given by:
As above, depends on use, B4's are fine for the road, B6 for more sportier driving and std springs, or the B8's with Eibach's which is what I run on my Sprint car and not allot goes quicker round the bends than that, Mind the driver has allot to do with that, LOL
Overall Road Going Production Class Winner at BARC Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb 2012, 2013 & 2014 With a class record along the way (For a while), Taking 2nd place will be Ian Redding's 306 GTi
2016 Castle Combe GT championship class winner
Thanks given by:
I would go B4 Sian Smile they are similar to stock so will be comfortable and a bit cheaper. B8 will be a fast road/track shock so could be a bit harsher ride. The money you save by getting B4's you could put towards repairing your rear end Wink
Thanks given by:
(19-02-2015, 07:51 PM)Niall Wrote: Ive had both B4s and B8s in the past. Both fantastic but i would say the B8s are substantially better!
B8s and a decent set of springs (H&R or Eibachs) will out handle most coil overs in that budget you still get to keep your spine in tact.

Ideal thanks Niall ! I was looking at b8s and eibach Smile

(19-02-2015, 10:36 PM)Nathan1305 Wrote: I would go B4 Sian Smile they are similar to stock so will be comfortable and a bit cheaper. B8 will be a fast road/track shock so could be a bit harsher ride. The money you save by getting B4's you could put towards repairing your rear end Wink

Someone had to say that haha

(19-02-2015, 10:29 PM)miles Wrote: As above, depends on use, B4's are fine for the road, B6 for more sportier driving and std springs, or the B8's with Eibach's which is what I run on my Sprint car and not allot goes quicker round the bends than that, Mind the driver has allot to do with that, LOL

Thanks for advice Smile It's my daily I won't be tracking it or driving like a loon I drive far too slow ha
Free hangover cures!
Thanks given by:
(19-02-2015, 10:44 PM)Sian Wrote:
(19-02-2015, 07:51 PM)Niall Wrote: Ive had both B4s and B8s in the past. Both fantastic but i would say the B8s are substantially better!

Ideal thanks Niall ! I was looking at b8s and eibach Smile

(19-02-2015, 10:36 PM)Nathan1305 Wrote: I would go B4 Sian Smile they are similar to stock so will be comfortable and a bit cheaper. B8 will be a fast road/track shock so could be a bit harsher ride. The money you save by getting B4's you could put towards repairing your rear end Wink

Someone had to say that haha

Haha Wink had to be done unfortunately 
Thanks given by:
If going b4, I'd just buy some brand new Oem shocks. Same feel IMO.
Remember most people compare new "competition" parts agains 10/15yr old parts.
Of course they will feel the nuts, when you put them on.
But I bet you put a brand new set of shocks on and they will be as good.

I'd go b6/b8 with eibach 30mm Wink
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
(19-02-2015, 07:05 PM)Sian Wrote: B8s are like £155 a shock :/

That's because they are good quality.

Good quality dampers are not cheap to design nor manufacture.

(20-02-2015, 09:03 AM)Matt Wrote: If going b4, I'd just buy some brand new Oem shocks. Same feel IMO. 

I'd go b6/b8 with eibach 30mm Wink

If I remember correctly B4s are inexpensive compared to OEM shocks unless you're buying cheap quality aftermarket OEM.

A full set of B4s is really cheap, 160 or something like that.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
(20-02-2015, 12:14 PM)RetroPug Wrote:

(20-02-2015, 09:03 AM)Matt Wrote: If going b4, I'd just buy some brand new Oem shocks. Same feel IMO. 

If I remember correctly B4s are inexpensive compared to OEM shocks unless you're buying cheap quality aftermarket OEM.

I didnt want anything to cheap! But I can't afford b8s at the moment, but wanted to know if the b4s were any good as they are in my price range Smile
Thanks given by:
I could probably get them at a better price, I'll check for you.
Thanks given by:
(20-02-2015, 01:22 PM)Sian Wrote:
(20-02-2015, 12:14 PM)RetroPug Wrote:

I didnt want anything to cheap! But I can't afford b8s at the moment, but wanted to know if the b4s were any good as they are in my price range Smile

For normal road driving to replace tired old shocks they are good, yes. If you're not looking for lower and stiffer and just want to refresh the handling to be in more "new" condition they'll be great.

They are fairly well priced on kamracing if nobody can find you a good deal.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
I've just ordered a full set of Bilstien B8s.......

Can't wait for them to come....eeek!!

What pads are best tho?
Redstuff.... Greenstuff or yellowstuff??
Heart Lita-Marie  

Xxx
Thanks given by:
Ferodo DS2500
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
Front and back?

I've not actually heard if them
Heart Lita-Marie  

Xxx
Thanks given by:
I loved my mintex 1144s, good from cold and could take all the abuse i could throw at them.

B4s are fine if you're looking for a quality oem replacement, if you're not using it for aggressive driving i'd go for those or genuine parts.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I drive like I stole it everywhere lol
Heart Lita-Marie  

Xxx
Thanks given by:
I guessed that lol, the second line was addressed to Sian. I took the mintex pads around track a few times and they handled that just fine, on the road there's no way you'll give them that kind of a beating.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Ah lol alright, u recon I should go with ferodo ds2500s then??
Heart Lita-Marie  

Xxx
Thanks given by:
I reckon you should go with Mintex 1144s, it was Anton that said about the DS2500s lol. And rippthrough hasn't yet, but he usually mentions the ds2500s if he sees the thread. lol Seen a fair few people on here report being disappointed with the ebc #insertcolourhere#stuff pads, so i wouldn't go for them.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I've had both and the DS2500's are better, but they cost more.
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
Yeah, that's what swung it for me, a ton for the mintex was enough lol. Would like to try some, wonder how much they are for hi-specs...

EDIT: £75, hmm...
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by: