Bit of veg and pump help please

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bit of veg and pump help please
Evening all,

Having a bit of a problem with my bosch pump and veg atm. Last week car got real sluggish and wouldn't rev, changed fuel filter, no difference, checked in tank filter..bunged, cleaned it, still a bit of a problem, new filter, and all was good for 200 odd miles. Driving home from work today, 100 miles, noticed it getting a bit sluggish at times, it sort of just suddenly goes flat and doesnt rev higher, last 10 miles it had frig all power.

Took a note at one point, at 2500rpm, I can put foot flat to the floor and hold it, it doesn't accelerate, and yet doesn't smoke at all. So I'm thinking I'm not getting fuel obv, find it hard to believe that things can have been that bad to block another filter that quick, o and I've been running veg for a year, but had maybe a month off it there.

Before I've noticed it getting really smokey when the filters done (something I could never figure) but this time its clear. Could it be the vane pump or something buggered inside the pump. Certainly seems fuel related as at times if I'd boot it up the gears it would suddenly die at the top of 3rd.

So do I just try another new filter again, and any easy way to help keep fueling?
I'm currently running an 11mm gov modded and ground lda pump and td04 which had been going very well until this!

Sorry for the essay, just trying to be clear!
Gov modded 11mm Bosch + Standard turbo = 137.2bhp . . . . TD04 now in...time to get playing!
Thanks given by:
Anyone? Going to try changing filter yet again today!
Gov modded 11mm Bosch + Standard turbo = 137.2bhp . . . . TD04 now in...time to get playing!
Thanks given by:
Mine does something very similar with regard to epic flat spotting when booting it.
Also does the no smoke and bogging seemingly and seemingly the same as what you say
Only way I can kinda help is that I know I might have a bit of an injector problem
It also only does it when running veg so I'm going back to normal diseasel
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Your both on 11mm's... ninja
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
silverzx Wrote:Your both on 11mm's... ninja

I'm on a 11mm yes, but its been 11mm for 9 months now, running veg most of that time too and has been fine.

Injector fault, thats a possibility and I have a spare set so I can check that out.

The other thing thats worrying me a bit.. it was running for a right while with a very blocked tank filter..I quite honestly don't know how it ran with it as bad, could running it under such pressure have buggered something inside the pump?
Thanks given by:
Another fuel filter is a good start. Mine used to do the same thing. I assume that it's a blockage trying to be pushed through.
Thanks given by:
Yea changed the fuel filter again today, also checked the in tank filter and it was grand, I'll report back tomorrow how I get on. Can't be going through filters every 300 miles though!

I've seen people getting rid of the standard fuel filter system and just putting an inline filter in. What's the benefits in this, bearing in mind I'm running veg and using the fuel heater?
Thanks given by:
If your running veg your saving 1/3 on fuel costs so a few quid for a filter isn't much
Thanks given by:
4WayDiablo Wrote:If your running veg your saving 1/3 on fuel costs so a few quid for a filter isn't much

Used veg and filtering it..I'm saving 2/3rds :-D But yea, filters aren't expensive, I just know I shouldn't be going through them that quick!
Thanks given by:
I've got the same problem, and my pump is completely standard. Suspect mine is an injector issue too since she's bloody rough starting, even on pump diesel.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
On a similar note do 1.9 (ECU) 406 Bosch Injectors fit the 306 fine? Are they exactly the same or are they slightly better/worse?
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
silverzx Wrote:On a similar note do 1.9 (ECU) 406 Bosch Injectors fit the 306 fine? Are they exactly the same or are they slightly better/worse?

I think they fit, they might have a slightly different spray nozzle but work fine (maybe better?), someone on here has them and mentioned it very recently, maybe anto?
Thanks given by:
Harky Wrote:
silverzx Wrote:On a similar note do 1.9 (ECU) 406 Bosch Injectors fit the 306 fine? Are they exactly the same or are they slightly better/worse?

I think they fit, they might have a slightly different spray nozzle but work fine (maybe better?), someone on here has them and mentioned it very recently, maybe anto?

Hmm, would be interesting to know if they are better, not exactly an expensive mod!
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
silverzx Wrote:
Harky Wrote:I think they fit, they might have a slightly different spray nozzle but work fine (maybe better?), someone on here has them and mentioned it very recently, maybe anto?

Hmm, would be interesting to know if they are better, not exactly an expensive mod!

Quote from another forum
anto;1843802 Wrote:406 have a revised nozzle in them. Fine to use, mine are 406

Might be worth looking into if I do need injectors!
Thanks given by:
So got to test my new filter today..still not going right. Have a spare set of injectors there, I'll try them, failing that the pumps coming off and getting a rebuild!
Thanks given by:
i had a bit of juddering and lack of idle control whilst running veg.

except mine happened AFTER i changed the filter - i'm assuming it's picking up small 'bits' etc.
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
Idle's fine tho, tis just up top its bad, suddenly goes flat. But just before I changed that filter (in 300 miles) it wouldn't rev past 2000rpm lol

Thinking its time to rebuild the pump again!
Thanks given by:
Yeh i also had that, feels like boost cuts out for 2 seconds, then back again... juddery at top end i suppose
Thanks given by:
ginge191 Wrote:Yeh i also had that, feels like boost cuts out for 2 seconds, then back again... juddery at top end i suppose

Aye thats it, just sometimes it doesn't come back in lol. Are inline filters like what are on ebay a good job/
Thanks given by:
Very annoying - i just blasted it through, there's no way of sucking that back up unless the 'bits' end up going through over flow pipes and back to the fuel tank, and hope it gets caught up in the filter, second through
Thanks given by:
Mine had a sorta flat spot at high RPM's for a second or 2 then went again on bottled veg. Put diesel back in and its fine pulls hard through out the revs.
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
strictly_derv Wrote:Mine had a sorta flat spot at high RPM's for a second or 2 then went again on bottled veg. Put diesel back in and its fine pulls hard through out the revs.

I get the same effect.. One of the shortfalls of using veg I suppose
Captain Standard

Thanks given by:
Can't really moan about top end when your saving so much!!

I'd rather suffer top end and save lots of money.

It wouldn't hurt to treat it to diesel if you can afford to though. :p
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
Well its going alot better now, this filter must be on about 400 miles now and its still pulling well! Still a bit juddery top end but as you say, for the savings its worth it. I think the couple of previous filters things must have just been really bad and it took a couple of filters to hold all the crap and get it out!
Thanks given by:
If I had a stock car and started running veg, the first thing I would so is sack off the shitty stock filter system and just go inline filter (£3 on the bay), they cause no end of problems with veg because there is more vacuum needed in the pipe, so air seeps in around the filter housing causing lack of fuel/lack of advance which can cause both smokey driving and non-smoking driving.
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Was thinking about going inline after seeing a couple of other fella's had gone that way.

Just any filter like so? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Inline-Fuel-F ... 453wt_1397
Thanks given by:
Nah you want one thats got a good micron filter, that mesh is too big at 125 micron so it'll let shit through to your pump. Get one the same as your stock filter which is 10 micron, or smaller.
Thanks given by:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280703440097? ... 1423.l2649

I bought a shed load of them
Thanks given by:
Dave...when the time comes I'll rep you! Wasn't sure what micron those big ones were, but I'll get myself a few of those ones you linked, cheers
Thanks given by:
Wouldn't these starve it? Don't really know about lots of filters
Thanks given by: