Ball Joints HDI

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ball Joints HDI
I bought Lemforder ball joints and fitted them about a year ago (ish) whilst looking over my car today for the MOT next month I noticed one side has split which I cant believe. Can you get better quality then lemfordeR?
[Image: e0d4ac7c-727f-46a8-ae0c-d4a324a8a667_zpsyn3ibroz.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Was the little heat shields replaced after fitting the ball joints?
Thanks given by:
(14-02-2015, 05:45 PM)DeeTurbo Wrote: Was the little heat shields replaced after fitting the ball joints?

Heat shields? Definitely not I dont know what you mean lol
Thanks given by:
The heat shields protect the rubber of the ball joint from heat from the discs.

I'll see if I can find a photo of one in a bit.

[Image: DSCN8731_zps2f714f6c.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Oh right yeah they were blue plastic/rubber so I took them off Itwasntme
Thanks given by:
Not the plastic. There should be a metal heat shield there when you took the old ones off, but sometimes people don't put them back when doing suspension work. You'll need to get some from the dealers when you replace the ball joint.
I'll find the part number if you like?
Thanks given by:
(14-02-2015, 07:37 PM)DeeTurbo Wrote: Not the plastic. There should be a metal heat shield there when you took the old ones off, but sometimes people don't put them back when doing suspension work. You'll need to get some from the dealers when you replace the ball joint.
I'll find the part number if you like?

That would be excellent if you could mate thank you. Ill order them up, do they take long for peugeot to get them? I need to order an oil filter from them too
Thanks given by:
362 312 £2.00

Or ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-206-PA...3a810f0a5d
Thanks given by:
(14-02-2015, 10:13 PM)DeeTurbo Wrote: 362 312 £2.00

Or ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-206-PA...3a810f0a5d

Just bought the ebay ones, easier. Thank you mate. Time to order up more ball joints lol are Lemforder the best quality ones available?
Thanks given by:
Lemforder are supposed to be as good as the ones from the dealers.

Dealers ones are £34 and Lemforder EPC ones are £20. I've never known Lemforder to fail so soon.
Thanks given by:
I've always used Lemforder without issue.

Have you had to split the balljoints for any reason since? As the boots are easy to damage with a chisel or crowbar.
Thanks given by:
just change the boot on the joint

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
Where can you get these boots from and are they available for the TRE?
Thanks given by:
Some boots are pressed on and cant be changed. The ones you can change can be bought from J&R or ebay etc. I don't like changing boots personally though, the damage is usually already done.
Thanks given by:
Stick another boot over it, don't bother trying to get the old one off. It's to stop muck getting in, it'll last a lot longer with a new £1 boot than it will without. If there's any damage done you'll already know because it'll be knocking. Rolleyes

You can get the boots for pretty much anything, available from everywhere i've ever tried to buy them.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Not necessarily, I had one squeak like hell without knocking... Way I see it is CV joints always fail after someone's just chucked another boot on to pass MOT, depends how far its gone but if any grit or water have got in it'll just be breaking anyway and you'll have to go the hassle of getting the balljoint out the hub agsin in a months time...
Thanks given by:
I know this might sound dumb but does it matter what way the 3 bolts are facing that secure it to the arm?
Thanks given by:
Bolt in from top nut on bottom
Thanks given by:
As above, put the cv joint back in the hub and you'll see why. lol

Sure Tom, you go ahead and spend £60 on a driveshaft / £15 on a balljoint when you could put a £4 / £1 boot on, small wonder your project costs always spiral out of control. Yes it's a small risk that the damage has already been done, but it's only an hour or so to do the job, even if you're not too experienced with the spanners. Is your time worth £15 an hour, because mine isn't. Wink
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Problem is experience has shown me that CVs do always fail when the boot splits. Although my time isn't worth that, garage labour is worth a lot more. Or I try and do it at home without a vice or proper tools, spend an hour trying to get the BJ out, get it done in the only chance I'd get that week and find its f*cked 2 days later and will have to wait at least a week to do the whole job again. False economy imo but each to their own.
Thanks given by:
Depends how long it is before you notice lol, but i see your point if you struggle with mechanics.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  dummy cv joints pug306driver 10 1,918 28-09-2016, 05:49 PM
Last Post: pug306driver
  Ball Joints? JTaylor2005 26 3,977 28-04-2016, 09:36 AM
Last Post: toseland
  New rose joints for droplinks MCH 5 3,372 05-09-2014, 09:52 AM
Last Post: MCH