Makes no sense!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Makes no sense!
So spotted this today and for a laugh I thought I'll do a quote expecting it to be thousands..... £1700! I'm paying over £2500 for my DT how can I get a rear wheel drive BMW cheaper than a pug? 
[attachment=21659]
Thanks given by:
Probably because you'd take more care of a expensive Beemer rather than a old French diesel :p? If that's how insurance works
Thanks given by:
(14-02-2015, 03:10 PM)Jimmy306uk Wrote: Probably because you'd take more care of a expensive Beemer rather than a old French diesel :p? If that's how insurance works

Might aswell have the Beemer lol
Thanks given by:
Cos its shit slow and doesn't go fast enough for you to do any damage.
Thanks given by:
(14-02-2015, 03:34 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Cos its shit slow and doesn't go fast enough for you to do any damage.

Still crazy how much cheaper it is, thought it would be loads being that its a BMW
Thanks given by:
What is it 318 or something along those lines? Think it's probably due to the fact a 306 is seen as a young persons car an that, my insurance is cheaper on a pass at than the equivalent golf/bora
Thanks given by:
306s are the most expensive cars I've insured lol, everything else I've had was cheaper... Old granddad cars ftw. lol
Thanks given by:
Must be a sign to get shot of the pug and get a beemer Smile
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
Yeah it's a 318is lovely car. Would love it but not sure what it would be like to run haha
Thanks given by:
My 306 DT was same price to insure as my GTi-6.. makes no sense at all. I'm sure insurance companies just make it up as they go along. I do feel sorry for you young guys getting insurance these days. the most Ive ever paid for insurance was £600 a year for a Lancia Delta Integrale. One of the perks of of being 'experienced.!' (not old). ;o)
Thanks given by:
My alfa is even cheaper than a vectra to insure! And thats got a 2.4 i thought it was gonna be quite abit more expensive
Thanks given by:
Nathan, I cannot get around the fact either, with mine. 10 years ago, my little rover was more expensive to insure than a 1.9 Dturbo, both cars were the same age at the time, in fact I think there may have been months if that in age.
Little rover was 1700 quid, the 306 Dturbo was 1500!
now the tables have turned, The little rover is cheaper and the HDI is more expensive by 10quid or so, that's 11 years difference between two cars,
Thanks given by:
(14-02-2015, 04:27 PM)Nathan1305 Wrote: Yeah it's a 318is lovely car. Would love it but not sure what it would be like to run haha

It'd be dead as f*@k lol personally I'd only go for one if it was a 325i sport probably be right and hard run to 
Thanks given by:
Insurance is insane a gti6 is only a little more than my DT it will just be fuel costs to run it
Thanks given by:
To be fair the 318is is meant to be a good car, drive like a baby M3 so I've read. That one looks great!
Team hand-painted-commercial Vehicle
Thanks given by:
(14-02-2015, 05:53 PM)Pete Wrote: To be fair the 318is is meant to be a good car, drive like a baby M3 so I've read. That one looks great!

Yeah I really do love it but not sure if it's worth getting rid of my 306 over 
Thanks given by:
It is based quite a lot on crash statistics.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
(14-02-2015, 07:07 PM)RetroPug Wrote: It is based quite a lot on crash statistics.

That's true, as most of the cars of that era, all died out practically 10 years ago sadly. Also something else you need to watch for too, is that some insurances may not be too keen on insuring it, either the car is too old, or the driver is too young. As the insurance may see it as a classic car.
Mind what I have found with insurances with cars been over 15 years old and giving them classic car insurance, is it depends on the car itself, I blasted kris knott for that, with the gta. As they said it wasn't a classic, and I told them hang on, the car is 17 years old! nearly 18! they said it had to be something like an alfa or something. Which is proper daft! as some of you lads on here, own phase 1 306s that are 20 years old and some of the 306s are coming up to that too. also some of you lads own 205s which are the same age as my car if not older!
Thanks given by:
(14-02-2015, 07:19 PM)procta Wrote:
(14-02-2015, 07:07 PM)RetroPug Wrote: It is based quite a lot on crash statistics.

That's true, as most of the cars of that era, all died out practically 10 years ago sadly. Also something else you need to watch for too, is that some insurances may not be too keen on insuring it, either the car is too old, or the driver is too young. As the insurance may see it as a classic car.
Mind what I have found with insurances with cars been over 15 years old and giving them classic car insurance, is it depends on the car itself, I blasted kris knott for that, with the gta. As they said it wasn't a classic, and I told them hang on, the car is 17 years old! nearly 18! they said it had to be something like an alfa or something. Which is proper daft! as some of you lads on here, own phase 1 306s that are 20 years old and some of the 306s are coming up to that too. also some of you lads own 205s which are the same age as my car if not older!

Yeah I suppose it could be classed as a classic to some insurers. just don't think I could give up my 306 over it. Really do like it though
Thanks given by:
(14-02-2015, 08:06 PM)Nathan1305 Wrote:

Yeah I suppose it could be classed as a classic to some insurers. just don't think I could give up my 306 over it. Really do like it though
i wouldn't give up the 306 for something that old, as its too nice to use as a daily and the 306 is too good a car to replace.
I have had to use my rover as a daily for a couple of months, and i did miss the 306, so its always nice to have the best of both worlds, if you can afford to do so. my two cost 600 a year.
Thanks given by:
(14-02-2015, 08:13 PM)procta Wrote:
(14-02-2015, 08:06 PM)Nathan1305 Wrote:

i wouldn't give up the 306 for something that old, as its too nice to use as a daily and the 306 is too good a car to replace.
I have had to use my rover as a daily for a couple of months, and i did miss the 306, so its always nice to have the best of both worlds, if you can afford to do so. my two cost 600 a year.

Unfortunately I don't think it's feasible to insure both the BMW is cheaper for me insurance wise but only average 30mpg so don't know if fuel costs will counteract that saving in insurance. Plus parts I expect will be more pricey because of the badge 

Edit: parts are actually very reasonable
Thanks given by:
I was looking at insurance the other day 1300 for a Renault sport 182 but 1700 for a 2.0 hdi 407 wtf
Thanks given by:
Just think of the second car, as owning a motor bike tbh, comes out to play when you want to go out for a burn.
Not sure what mpg my rover gets me, but it only comes out for 2 days a week.
my advice is how easy is it to get the parts, as you got to remember those went out of production 20 years ago. So you are going to find things practically hard to get hold of. i cannot get hold of some bits that i could get 10 years go for this car.
Thanks given by:
(14-02-2015, 08:32 PM)procta Wrote: Just think of the second car, as owning a motor bike tbh, comes out to play when you want to go out for a burn.  
my advice is how easy is it to get the parts, as you got to remember those went out of production 20 years ago. So you are going to find things practically hard to get hold of. i cannot get hold of some bits that i could get 10 years go for this car.

Parts aren't to bad to be honest, ECP have a lot at similar price to 306 parts and ebay has a load of breakers. Being that so many were made there are quite a few bits about 
Thanks given by:
(14-02-2015, 08:35 PM)Nathan1305 Wrote:
(14-02-2015, 08:32 PM)procta Wrote: Just think of the second car, as owning a motor bike tbh, comes out to play when you want to go out for a burn.  

Parts aren't to bad to be honest, ECP have a lot at similar price to 306 parts and ebay has a load of breakers. Being that so many were made there are quite a few bits about 

see if the spares are about your laughing! Why don't you think about it for a second car, remember you can mirror and custom the second car policy too.
Thanks given by:
(14-02-2015, 08:40 PM)procta Wrote:
(14-02-2015, 08:35 PM)Nathan1305 Wrote:

see if the spares are about your laughing! Why don't you think about it for a second car, remember you can mirror and custom the second car policy too.

Yeah could be worth looking into, have to see how it pans out. Wouldn't mind a second car in a year or so 
Thanks given by:
just think of the second car as having a motor bike, but a little bit more expensive. But fun to have a tinker on with mind!
Thanks given by:
(14-02-2015, 08:45 PM)procta Wrote: just think of the second car as having a motor bike, but a little bit more expensive. But fun to have a tinker on with mind!

Yeah I would love that, have the track car but that doesn't cost me anything until it's being used/buying parts
Thanks given by:
(14-02-2015, 08:47 PM)Nathan1305 Wrote:
(14-02-2015, 08:45 PM)procta Wrote: just think of the second car as having a motor bike, but a little bit more expensive. But fun to have a tinker on with mind!

Yeah I would love that, have the track car but that doesn't cost me anything until it's being used/buying parts

see you are missing driving a piece of retro history there, When i my rover on the road, People would look over and even look back, i have had people say, fuckin hell! That's going back in the day! Mint to see one of those again,
So its great for the retro scene, probably more better for me having a retro motor than track car, as i cannot really see me doing enough track days, But the build would be f*cking fun to do!
Thanks given by:
(14-02-2015, 09:06 PM)procta Wrote:
(14-02-2015, 08:47 PM)Nathan1305 Wrote:

see you are missing driving a piece of retro history there, When i my rover on the road, People would look over and even look back, i have had people say, fuckin hell! That's going back in the day! Mint to see one of those again,
So its great for the retro scene, probably more better for me having a retro motor than track car, as i cannot really see me doing enough track days, But the build would be f*cking fun to do!

Yeah to be honest I doubt it will be a lot of track days just mostly about the build 
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Really makes you think. .... Day666 19 3,518 21-03-2016, 01:35 PM
Last Post: toseland
  Scanner makes Chris306 5 1,523 30-09-2015, 05:11 PM
Last Post: Chris306
  This makes me sad! underground375 9 2,085 06-01-2014, 11:00 PM
Last Post: Wor Jimmy